Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson Discusses Merle Haggard and the ACM Awards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sturgill Simpson has posted a note on the passing of Merle Haggard:

Im writing this because I want to go on record and say I find it utterly disgusting the way everybody on Music Row is coming up with any reason they can to hitch their wagon to his name while knowing full and damn well what he thought about them. If the ACM wants to actually celebrate the legacy and music of Merle Haggard, they should drop all the formulaic cannon fodder bullshit they’ve been pumping down rural America’s throat for the last 30 years along with all the high school pageantry, meat parade award show bullshit and start dedicating their programs to more actual Country Music.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Glad he said something. While it probably won't have any impact, at least he said it.

3. selfreliable

Regular

I see both sides of the fence here. Merle was an amazing talent and was a big part of the success of country music in the 60's to early 80's. Country music shifted to a different sound and moved to more overproduced pop stuff written by others (as it had been before the outlaw movement). With Merle's passing they want to acknowledge his legacy and all he did for country even if they didnt care about what he did for the last 20+ years. They can say "this man was an incredible talent, shaped country for a while, and while we moved to a different flavor, his loss is still a hole in our community and we would not be where we are today without him". At the same time, they are honoring and caring about a man who made no bones about how much he hated Music Row and what it stood for.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Sturgill's definitely in the right here, imo. You shouldn't wait for someone to die to show them some respect.

ugman_2000 and fenway89 like this.