Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 7, 2016.

1. STURGILL GOT ROBBED

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Adele: "I didn't deserve this award. I want to give half of it to the person who did. Sturgill, why don't you come up here for a minute."

DaydreamNation likes this.
  3. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

The Dap Kings accompanied Sturgill and his band.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  4. Eleven months later and this record continues to get better every time I listen to it. One of the best of the last several years for sure.

5. Seeing him tonight for the first time! (Criminal since I live in KY most of the year but oh well)

It's a shorter festival set (1:15) but I'm excited nonetheless. Will report back as to how the new four-piece lineup sounds!

6. He was great but I do wish I'd caught him earlier in the Sailor's Guide tour with the bigger band. Oh well. Still an awesome tour.

7. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Seeing him for the second time in September!! At the fox theater in Detroit!!!! So pumped

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. Craig Manning

KidLightning likes this.
  10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Lolllll

11. Barcara

Regular

Can anyone recommend me some artists that use the big band sound Sturgill goes after on the live/SNL version of Keep It Between the Lines?

I imagine some similar artists reside somewhere in the big band or jazz genres but I’m really not knowledgeable about that area of music honestly. Just looking for some upbeat tunes with some killer horn solos.

12. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but check out the Anderson East record that came out on Friday. It’s got some great horn parts and shares some soul influence with this record.

Also, the Dap Kings did the horns for this album, so check them out. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings just put out an album last year.

Barcara likes this.
  13. That Springsteen album of Seeger covers comes to mind if you haven't heard that

Barcara likes this.
  14. Barcara

Regular

Just checking in to say that I am in love with this Anderson East record.

KidLightning and Craig Manning like this.
  15. Barcara

Regular

Just discovered St. Paul & the Broken Bones. Scratching that itch.

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Watched this for the first time in a while and made me realize how ready I am for new Sturgill

18. One of the best live TV performances from the last few years, of (maybe) the best song on one of the best albums of the decade

the rural juror likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

New album is done. Don’t know what his plans are, but I’m certain it’s coming this year.

DaydreamNation, shea, Barcara and 2 others like this.