Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This album is on sale for $0.99 on Google Play this week. Figured some people might like to know.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I like to know. Thanks.

Though I'll still need to get around to buying a physical copy

Garrett L. likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Nominated for Album of the Year at the Grammys.

KidLightning likes this.
  4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

And deservedly so! What a great record.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

Indeed, very easily my favorite in that category. Was pretty shocked he got in. It was such a crowded year for high-profile releases.

6. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Good for him! Can't believe they picked him over someone like Bowie for the non-pop AOTY nominee

7. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Awesome to hear

8. God bless America. He'll never win but proud of this Kentucky boy regardless.

9. Craig Manning

But how hilarious would it be if he did? Haha

DaydreamNation and KidLightning like this.
  10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Wow, that's awesome. Well-deserved, such a good album.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Listening to this for the first time now. The Nirvana cover is stellar.

12. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Had this at #13 but after a couple more listens, I think I might have ranked this too low. Just flows so well as an album

Sea Stories is still my favorite

13. shea

RIP Supporter

Currently announcing new dates for what looks like a fall tour in the most annoying fashion imaginable. New ones have been popping up sporadically over the last 20 minutes or so.

Sturgill Simpson Upcoming Tour Dates

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Might have to make that Cary, NC show.

15. Dude just got added to Forecastle this summer, plus I'm seeing a Chicago date among those fall ones so one way or another I'll be seeing him later this year

16. Craig Manning

The odds for him to win Album of the Year are currently 33/1. Think it's worth a tenner?

17. Statistically that would depend on a variety of factors but probably not.

Emotionally? Hell yeah!

18. Craig Manning

Yeah, I actually felt like Stapleton had a chance last year, but Sturgill probably has more of an uphill battle. Then again, Morning Phase is an album of the year winner.

19. That record was so fucking forgettable to me I actually had to Google it just now haha.

Sturgill will not win. But the fact that a dude from Eastern KY made a country record with Memphis horns and a Nirvana cover and even got nominated for AOTY Grammy is the musical coup of the decade. Not a blink from establishment Nashville and he is the new face of country music like it or not.

Stuff like Arcade Fire winning back in 2011 is, for me, far less shocking than Sturgill getting the nom.

20. Craig Manning

I even liked Morning Phase and probably couldn't tell you the name of a track. Other than "Morning" and "Phase."

Sturgill getting an AOTY nomination is arguably the biggest surprise in Grammy history. Dude didn't even get a CMA nomination. In any category! Of the five artists nominated for Album of the Year, one of them performed at the CMAs and it wasn't the country artist. The entire thing is hilarious. I hope he shows up wearing a "Who the fuck is Sturgill Simpson?" shirt.

21. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Is Sturgill performing at the Grammys?

22. It's still further proof that these days traditional industry-standard genre definitions are meaningless. Especially as far as country music is concerned. There have been some dark days and some big cowboy hats but it's cool to finally see guys like Sturgill and Jason and Chris and others finally get their due, as the spiritual inheriters of the "alt-country/outlaw/Americana/wtf" tradition.

If only Merle and Waylon and Gram could see them now...

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

I'm new to this guy, bought all 3 albums last week and this one is by far the best. So good. Love the horns! Already a fan of Isbell/Stapleton and Sturgill fits in the same awesome category for me.

24. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

got the grammy for country album

25. Didn't watch his performance cause I'm not near a TV right now but apparently it was a Sharon Jones tribute?