Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 7, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I can only imagine what it's like during those recording sessions.

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah it's very difficult to understand him a lot of the time, haha

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Well this is fucking fantastic.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Thanks! Really appreciate that.

7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This is a much different album than I was expecting. There are some incredible things happening here.

8. Craig Manning

It's definitely an expansion of what he can do as an artist. He doesn't really leave his old sound behind either, but he's trying a lot of new things.

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm not that familiar with his prior work, but this is definitely a perfect textbook example of how to maintain a sense of self while still challenging yourself and stepping outside of your own box

10. Craig Manning

I'd recommend circling back and checking out Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. I like this one more, but that's still one of the most acclaimed records in the genre this decade, and for obvious reasons.

Meerkat likes this.
  11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I've felt this way about Stapleton for a while. I've listened to Traveller a decent amount, but it still hasn't clicked with me the way that Metamodern Sounds or any of Isbell's albums have (or the way it clearly has with other listeners).

This conceit reminds me a lot of Blitzen Trapper's All Across This Land from last year. The album begins with a welcome song, and a number of the songs are about parent/child relationships:

"Welcome to Earth my son, you're here just in time,
    There's so much to learn, so many ways you can shine.

Welcome to Earth my son, take a look all around,
    There's billions of folks like you makin' all kinds of sound."

I haven't had much time with this, but I agree - I already like it better than Metamodern Sounds.

12. Craig Manning

I think for me, Stapleton's voice was the attraction. I heard "Traveller" the song a few months before the album came out and it just blew me away. I don't think the record is quite on the level of Isbell's last two, but I still really love it.

I need to go back to that Blitzen Trapper record. It didn't grab me right away when I listened to it last fall, and there was just so much stuff coming out at that time that I never revisited it.

13. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

This drives me mad about him. There are times when I literally get frustrated because I'll be listening in a noisy environment, and his voice dips in and out, so I can't hear him. Pisses me off to know end.

I feel like it was constant on Metamodern, where it's only occasionally on this album.

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Finally listening and I'm loving this even more than I expected to. He's really stepped it up.

15. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Played it once, unfortunately...no mp3 download card, and I just got my RSD haul, so it's gonna have to wait a little longer for some 2nd and 3rd spins. I like it, though.

16. Dude just killed the In Bloom cover on The Daily Show

17. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Here's a killer vid of him performing the record live. Can't fucking wait to see it for myself.

18. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Love this

19. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Such a departure from his past records. I still enjoy it though. P

20. OhTheWater Apr 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 26, 2016)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Listening now. The first song is a very weird mashup of me not liking the first part at all and then loving the second half.

EDIT:
    Idk if this is for me

21. the rural juror

Still think this is one of the best albums of the year.

LWS, dpatrickguy and ChaseTx like this.
  22. Jose

weightless in the valley

I've heard the cover and a single and I have dug them, would this album be a good starting point for Sturgill's discography or are there more accessible albums?

23. the rural juror

He has two other album, High Top Mountain and Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. They're both much more traditionally country-sounding and twangy.

This one is my favorite personally, but they're worth a listen.

24. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Gonna see him in royal oak in a couple weeks!!!!

25. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Finally got around to this. Usually not a fan of country, but this is fantastic. Glad to listen repeatedly over the next couple of days.