Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Oooooh I really like the way this is starting

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Okay for real...first song got me like

[​IMG]

KidLightning and Craig Manning like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

@Chris Yates Yep, the first song pulled me in right away. It's the start to an album that consistently served up pleasant surprises for me, sonically. It's not where you expect the album to start.

KidLightning likes this.
  4. jdr2187

jdr2187

I like this a lot after one listen which is surprising to me because after hearing the first few songs he released I wasn't a big fan of the changes he had made to his sound. Those songs fit a lot better in the context of the album.

5. Craig Manning

Agreed. I wasn't terribly taken with "Brace for Impact" as a single, but like it way better within the flow of the album.

6. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Boss walked in and interrupted me on song 3 so I'll have to wait and finish this later :verysad:

7. dpatrick23

Regular Supporter

Love the line about playing Goldeneye on N64 haha. This rules.

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Thanks for the heads up on the first listen. Time to pull out the special headphones and dive in.

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Finally jumping back into this. Just going to start it over to get a good feel of the album flow.

10. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

The flow of this album is really really good. It starts on a high note and ends the exact same way. About to spin this again. In Bloom works really well in the album. Brace For Impact is one of the best songs within the album, and I wasn't extremely high on it by itself. Very much and album you want to listen to together vs individually.

Also a first impression: the things I dislike about MSICM (still love it) are not apparent on this album on first listen

11. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

So excited about this

12. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Go listen to it, it's reallllly good. Currently on my third listen and not slowing down.

Meerkat likes this.
  13. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This is so gooooooooooooooooood

14. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

I only got one listen in while working, but this sounded great. Loved the horns, and the whole thing flowed well. I can't wait to go home and listen more carefully on better headphones.

15. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I really want a proper version of this now

16. Craig Manning

Very soon, my friend!

17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I've listened to this five times now, and I can honestly say it gets better every time. It's so much more diverse than Metamodern and I don't really think you could arrange the tracks better than he did here. The two songs we heard early work quite a bit better in context with the full album. I don't think it's too long, or too short - it's perfect. Not to say you can't enjoy these tracks separately, but this is one I'll more than likely listen to as whole, rather than individual tracks.

18. Craig Manning

Yeah, how he put it all together is pretty masterful. It's like this big long symphony or something. The rip I have right now is just the full record in one track, and it seems more like movements than individual tracks sometimes. Pretty cool approach.

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Man I'm four songs in and loving this

20. Craig Manning

Digging into the lyrics a bit more as I work on my review. There's a lot going on here. It's a very complex, potent record.

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

There's a lot I liked about this, but I'm not sure I can deal with his vocals. I have a very low tolerance for twang.

22. Craig Manning

Sucks for you bro!

dpatrickguy and ChaseTx like this.
  23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm all about the twang

24. jdr2187

jdr2187

The only problem I have with his voice sometimes is that he seems to mumble or slur his words a little at times. Its even more noticeable live, but maybe its just me...

25. Craig Manning

He definitely does do this. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what he's singing right away.