Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Because I love the dude, and you should too. And I want Craig to tell me how awesome it is while I wait for it.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Haha, I was just making a thread for this.

It's ridiculous. Completely different from Metamodern Sounds, but in the best way. Bunch of strings, bunch of horns, a surprisingly serene Nirvana cover, and a blistering anti-war song to end the set.

fenway89 and KidLightning like this.
  3. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That's awesome. As much as I love the guy, I always thought Metamodern blended together a little too much. Is there a little more diversity in the tracks this time around?

4. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'd say so. There are some very distinctly country tracks and some very not country tracks. I'm kind of in agreement with you on Metamodern Sounds, but this one held my attention very easily on first listen.

5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Can't wait to listen to this

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Might see him next month. My entertainment budget is already high for April, but then I am expecting a bonus so

7. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I'm glad this is coming out so quickly. It was over a year of anticipation for that 1975 album to drop and that was painful.

8. Craig Manning

There's a song on this album that talks about getting high and playing GoldenEye.

9. Craig Manning

I'm pretty sure I like this more than Metamodern Sounds. He's just doing some really interesting things with his songwriting and musical arrangements.

10. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That's good to hear. I've always loved Metamodern, but like I said earlier in the thread, it blends a little too much. Good to know this will be a little different.

11. Craig Manning

I just didn't think he was on the same level as Isbell and Stapleton. This album makes me question that judgment.

12. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Nice. Yeah, I've always lumped those three together, even though Stapleton is different in a lot of ways. Highly doubt I'll enjoy this better than Traveller, but then again I don't enjoy many albums more than that one these days.

13. Craig Manning

All three are pretty different. As songwriters and vocalists, and definitely in terms of how they incorporate country/Americana tradition into their music. The only thing they really had in common was Dave Cobb as producer, but Cobb didn't produce this.

14. ChaseTx

Some really cool pre-order bundles on this

Pre-Order

Wish there was an a la carte option. I might spring for the $50 or $60 one to get the flag and poster. I'd like the compass box but I can't spend $175 on an album, lol

15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I really love the artwork on this

16. Craig Manning

Definitely a great cover. I will probably pick this one up. Still loving this record.

17. Craig Manning

You guys catch the "In Bloom" cover yet?

18. ChaseTx

Pretty cool. Is this representative of what the album sounds like? It has kind of a Motown sound by the end

19. Craig Manning

I mean, more so than the first track was released. There are a lot of horns on this record, and soul/Motown is definitely a recurring influence. But he hops around with different styles a lot. It's a pretty scattered, ambitious record sonically, but it fits together surprisingly well.

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That song is just okay for me really. It picks up toward the end though. I'm not huge on cover songs on an album unless you knock them out of the park.

21. Craig Manning

I'm not usually a huge fan of it, but I think Sturgill and Stapleton are two of the guys who can pull it off well. I mean, the cover was probably my favorite song on Metamodern Sounds.

22. Excited for this. Proud native son of my state of Kentucky.

23. Craig Manning

This is streaming on NPR. Link won't work in the post because it says NPR's site isn't secure, but yeah, just head over to their first listen page and it's there. Very excited to hear what people think of this one.

24. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss

Going to listen right now

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

It's interesting: you can't play it in individual tracks. Guess Sturgill is really pushing the continuous flow on this one. The advance I got had both options.