Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Study Says Dyson Hand Dryers Spread More Germs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Beth Mole, writing for Ars Technica, on how Dyson hand dryers spread viruses in bathrooms:

Researchers have long known that warm air hand dryers can launch bacteria into the air—compared to dabbing with paper towels, which unleashes virtually none. But new jet air dryers, made by Dyson, are significantly more problematic—they launch far more viruses into the air, which linger for longer periods of time and reach much farther distances, researchers recently reported in the Journal of Applied Microbiology. This is particularly concerning because viruses, unlike many infectious bacteria, can easily maintain their infectiousness in the air and on surfaces, and just a few viral particles can spark an infection.

2. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Dyson's response isn't a surprise.

3. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I hate hand dryers, they blow out cold air and take forever to actually dry your hands. Man I miss paper towels in washrooms. Half the time I use them i end up half drying my hands by putting them in my pockets.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly, I'm sure wiping your hands on your jeans isn't the worst thing in the world. Not ideal but you still washed your hands, you know?

fenway89 and skurt like this.
  5. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

For sure, I always wash and I feel that's a big reason why I rarely get sick. I usually get the cold once during the winter and that is usually it. With what you see some people do these days why would you not wash?

6. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

Just another example as to why washing your hands at all is pointless.

7. I've always found these things to be so gross.

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Always thought these were gross

9. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

This is me. Hate hand dryers in restrooms if that's the only option(that isn't paper towels) I just use my pants.
    Hate when places don't have paper towels though, because I use those to open the door handle so I won't dirty my just washed hands.

10. I've personally always preferred paper towels so I can turn off the sink and open the door with them anyway. Bothers me when that option isn't available

11. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

This.

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's an odd takeaway from this.

fenway89 likes this.
  13. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

It's also a joke.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. heymattrick

Sending my love

I definitely understand the environmental implications of using paper towels, but with a foodservice corporation background and from a safety and sanitation standpoint, paper towels are where it's at. I can't stand bathrooms that don't have paper towels - especially when you then have to put your clean hands on a disgusting door handle to open the bathroom.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

16. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Wow just as I read this I walk into the bathroom at work and all dispensers are replaced with these things.

17. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I thought this was already widely known? Like, I remember hearing a while ago that these things are nasty and just spray germs on your hands as you dry them.