Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Study Finds Musicians May Be More Likely to Suffer From Depression and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A new study published by Help Musicians UK has discovered that musicians and musician industry professionals may be more than three times as likely to suffer from depression and anxiety than the general public:

The second indication of these early, preliminary ndings suggest that while artists nd solace in the production of music, working in the music industry might indeed be making musicians sick, or at least contributing towards their levels of mental ill-health.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Not making much money sure doesn't help. :-/

3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Silver lining: It may make for better music?

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I know as an introvert it would ware me down to tour and get back on the bus with several people and never really have alone time or be back home. I know going to school and working has taken a massive hit to my mental health. could you imagine working as hard as you can for people to tell you that you suck.
    Being a Rockstar would be pretty awful for me.

PandaBear! and Raku like this.
  5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

or is it that people with depression are more likely to become musicians/artists/involved with music :chin:

JM95, Mr. Serotonin, Sybil and 13 others like this.
  6. The exact question I was going to pose.

supernovagirl and Jose like this.
  7. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

this is not news to me at all. it's the same with comedians, which probably why this doesn't strike me as surprising.

8. ianzandi

Regular

As a comedian, this is EXTREMELY common stereotype of the "Sad clown" that is actually quite true in many cases. Usually it's depressed people turning to comedy to cope. The psychology is really fascinating

Fucking Dustin and JRGComedy like this.
  9. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

All of my friends who are involved in writing music have suffered from some sort of depression at some point. Myself included. Music is what makes it all better though...

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's a correlational study, they're related but there's no causation proved either way
    it's just framed this way because it's more interesting for publications to state it this way

supernovagirl and RileyWitiw like this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

this was my first thought

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Then I must be fucking Mozart.

DrAlanGrant, ArsonHoliday and Essie like this.
  13. Lucas27

Trusted

I write music to confront my depression. It helps bring purpose into my struggles, or at least helps me uncover the purpose that's already hidden there. I think I've come to the conclusion that almost every good songwriter struggles with it. It's the ones who are flippant about life and act like they have no cares who write the shallow stuff.

Moral of the story, the inspiration is worth the depression that leads to it.

14. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I think musicians/artists handle a more realistic viewpoint of the world than the 'straight and narrow'. It's depressing to know firsthand how difficult it is in this life to do something you love and to meet so much friction.

15. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Ditto! I find the people that are more intelligent or artistic typically have higher brain function which usually results in overthinking/worrying i.e. depression and anxiety.

supernovagirl and Chase Tremaine like this.
  16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I would fear touring and playing live. I write music purely as a hobby, and it is definitely good enough to play it publicly (not being an ass, I mean at a "local" level haha), but the crippling fear I have of putting myself out there and performing live holds me back 100%. Plus I literally would break if I had to live the touring lifestlye - I am pretty much a shut-in atm; no friends, no partying, can't really be around people having fun because I just can't get in to that mode & it depresses me. So it would be a nightmare to be in a situation where you didn't have home comforts to retreat to :uhoh:

Turkeylegz likes this.
  17. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

aka my rock opera

18. Punk Out

Our friends at Punk Talks are doing amazing work in regards to this.

19. Self-consciousness is the most bittersweet trait of the human race, an ability that continues to baffle all psychologists and neurologists. Haha

20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I'm not sure if I'm depressed because I'm a musician or a musician because I'm depressed. Probably both lol

21. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

It's bizarre to me how many people who regularly post are discussing their anxiety/depression. Glad to be a community with you all, even if it is simply electronically.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

I don't doubt it.

23. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I don't think anyone is surprised by this, someone just finally put it in writing.

ConArdist likes this.
  24. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Count me in, every day sucks. I kid you not. And it leads to stronger songwriting. But EDM artists like me have to be feelin' good. I'm really in a depression spell, and cannot write.

25. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Bizarre as in...?