Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Streaming Triggers a Resurgence in the Small Record Label

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bloomberg:

Merlin, an organization made up of some of the world’s top indie labels, distributed $353 million to members over the past year — a 52 percent jump from a year earlier, the group will announce Thursday.

The credit goes to streaming — internet services like Spotify and Apple Music that give listeners access to millions of songs for a monthly fee or for free if they’re willing to hear ads. No longer needing to press and distribute physical CDs, independent record labels can now reach a global audience at lower costs — and close the gap with the Big Three of Vivendi SA’s Universal Music Group, Sony Corp.’s Sony Music Entertainment and Access Industries’ Warner Music Group.

2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Streaming has created a new set of problems for all parties, but I still think on the whole it's better for everyone (artists, consumers, labels and even advertisers).

I pay $15/month for Spotify and steam 20,000+ songs a year. $180/year in music on streaming alone to Spotify, with $120/year going to artists if 1 stream = .006 cents (some rough number I read a year or so ago) . I understand I'm in a top percentile for streams... I'm actually a bad investment for Spotify because they're only seeing 1/3 of their fee after payouts.

I doubt I would spend $120 on physical CD's. But at $15/month, it's tolerable -- a bargain, if you ask me the enjoyment I get out of music versus the price. Yeah, if I couldn't jam all day at work it probably wouldn't be as worth it, but I'm old enough to remember life without streaming and it wasn't good for anyone.

I feel good about my contributions. Plus, any concerts I go to and merchandise I buy. I'll still buy a band's album via Bandcamp every now and then for more direct support.