Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Streaming Only Now Eligible For Grammys

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Grammys have announced that streaming only projects will now be eligible for the awards ceremony.

Works must be released via general distribution, defined as the nationwide release of a recording via brick and mortar, third-party online retailers, and/or applicable digital streaming services. Applicable streaming services are paid subscription, full catalogue, on-demand streaming/limited download platforms that have existed as such within the United States for at least one full year as of the submission deadline.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Aaaaaaaaand every rapper not named "Chance" just clenched their fists in anger.

3. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

In Chance We Trust

4. tommymcphail

Death To Apathy/Get Busy or Get Left Behind

Super excited for Chance, but even he said on his Twitter that this implies far more than just his nomination. Now, many artists on Soundcloud have a shot at one of music's highest honors. This opens so many doors for so many independent and DIY artists that it's hard to comprehend all at once.

Even look at Desiigner. If i'm not mistaken, he bought the beat for Panda last November or December, and now it's one of the biggest tracks in the world. The turnaround on thatFor something as arguably out-of-touch as the Grammys to start catching up to internet-era music in this way is huge.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  5. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

So does this mean
    That a bandcamp artist in theory has a chance of getting a Grammy? Let's be honest minus these major artists that's game is before they went streaming only no one is going to get this through releasing a good album on these platforms as an independent.

6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Why is the music industry so slow with these things? I've been streaming all my music for at least three years if not more. I haven't purchased a physical CD in a year and my last digital purchase was two months ago. I know I'm far from the only one and I know the majority of people I talk to have been streaming primarily for years as well. I love to see what music people are interested in and I feel slightly cheated that industry leaders like Billboard and the Grammys have taken so long to include streaming when it's such a huge part of the way most people listen to music nowadays. It might be naive but I count on them to provide an accurate picture of what music appeals to the largest amount of people.

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I think prior to this if it came out as streaming only it wasn't considered. I don't know how much 'sales' goes in to these things but I don't think they were ignoring streaming. Just their bylaws unintentionally stated it must be a physical release to
    Be considered for a Grammy and now that streaming only albums are a thing this allows them to be considered.