Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Straylight Run Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Oh man. Looks like they came to Cleveland like three times in one year. That was 2005. I think they played both the House of Blues and Agora in 2004.

2. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

First Straylight Run show for me was the Miami stop of the MTVU Campus Invasion tour with Motion City Soundtrack and Hellogoodbye in 2006. Met two people in line waiting for the doors to open who ended up becoming my best friends so that show is extra special to me.

Orla, Brent, Drewski and 1 other person like this.
  3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I was at the Agora show in 2004. It was in the ballroom in October. The lineup from opener to headliner was Say Anything, Northstar, Straylight Run, and then Hot Rod Circuit. Straylight had a good draw. I don’t think that show was sold out, but it probably wasn’t far off. It was also back when they had those raised platform levels on each side so it felt like a packed show. All of the bands got great responses. I personally thought Northstar was the best band on the bill and their live sound confirmed it for me. Straylight crushed it on that self titled run though. Never felt the same after that cycle.

Zilla likes this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I miss Northstar. They needed to have a few more records come out. I still listen to Pollyanna a couple times a year.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, Pollyanna is an all-timer for me.

Elder Lightning and .K. like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Are they teasing?

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

So that was the Patchogue theater show based on the date, maybe vinyl? Enjoy The Ride Records liked the instragram post too.

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yeah i definitely dont think it's like a reunion tour or anything, after the last 18 months shaun and john's first priority has to be TBS you would assume - but, vinyl reissues or first pressings could be cool. i only own the self titled.

Kyle Max likes this.
  9. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I used to own the Un Mas Dos EP but it was lost to time.

10. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

I’m thinking vinyl and maybe a few reunion shows this winter.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

12. spookymulder

iambirthdaydad.bandcamp.com

I fucking love Straylight Run

navidson, airik625 and irthesteve like this.
  13. spookymulder

iambirthdaydad.bandcamp.com

I saw them live like 3 times. Everything they did was underrated but The Needles the Space is SUPER underrated it was so ambitious and different then what was in the scene at the time

Drewski, Meghin and irthesteve like this.
  14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I saw them open for Coheed and it’s still the weirdest show I’ve ever been to.

15. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Saw them two nights in a row at Knotting Factory when I’m pretty sure they only had demos. So I’m wondering what they even played. Kevin Devine, Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, and Armor for Sleep were some of the openers. Never saw them at their peak so I’d be pumped to see a full show.

16. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I think it's pretty safe to say they were a band that could have peaked a lot higher. They turned into Cassino but never hit the same way for some reason despite being the same songwriters.

.K. likes this.
  17. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Oh man, Cassino hit pretty much as hard for me, just in a different way. Glad to see Nick is doing good, I like keeping up with him on Instagram.

airik625 likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Straylight Run/Northstar reunion tour or bust.

19. Dog Fish

Mutt

The Needles, The Space, The Crowing

Rowan5215 likes this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like Northstar could have used one more album. Pollyanna was so good and they were sort of unique sounding with Nick's voice. Cassino feels like Nick just trying to continue music and make it fun and casual. I think it would have been cool if he could have done Northstar albums with the band and had Cassino as a side project. His voice works so well in both styles. Northstar has some cool guitar stuff though.

21. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

god I loved every fucking song this band released. Hands In The Sky (Big Shot) is unlike anything else in their discography, but it may be my favorite, I don't know.

As far as vinyl reissues, bring them on. I won The Needles, The Space, but would absolutely buy a new version. If that is indeed the case, it would be swell if they would include all the coinciding tracks (special edition bonus tracks + TNTS digital EP). I don't own a copy of their self-titled, so I would definitely buy that too. Hell I'll buy everything on vinyl if they release it.

22. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

hands in the sky is fucking incredible

irthesteve and airik625 like this.
  23. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

The Straylight Run release that would excite me the most would be a high quality set of the original demos. Remastered would be awesome, but I’d settle even for just the mixes as they were but at full bitrate. I probably said that before somewhere earlier in this thread, I’ve wished they’d put that out there forever. Best versions of a couple of those songs by far, and to this point sadly confined to MySpace download quality.

irthesteve and TJ Wells like this.
  24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I was at Straylight’s first show ever at The Downtown. My ticket didn’t work and Will Noon snuck me in the back door. Good times.

25. Maddy

Regular

100% agree...never got into their full lengths but that set of OG demos was not only amazing musically but the timing off its release was perfect as well…coming out at a time when the BN/TBS “feud” was peaking due to both bands popularity and then John breaks off TBS and then Straylight tours with BN…great times

Surfwax likes this.