Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Straylight Run Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Nov 12, 2017.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

That interview was AWKWARD.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Cool to see even if it's not a real in person reunion. Nice to hear Michelle's voice

3. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

ugh it wasn't enough. i need more:heart:

4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Happy 16th to the debut!

Orla and irthesteve like this.
  5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah since John and Shaun re-joined the band, I think there's four, maybe five songs that I ever listen to from those albums.

.K. and Immortal1001 like this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I miss straylight run as well, and absolutely adored the two LPs and Prepare to Be Wrong...but Happiness Is...and Tidal Wave are absolutely great.

beachdude likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I thought the Straylight Demos and debut were awesome. From there, they kind of adjusted their sound a bit and it was less my thing (although I did like some other songs, which is also how I feel about John’s solo stuff).

I gotta say that Nightmare of You ran a similar course for me. Awesome demos, Debut and BanG EP, they adjusted their sound and again not my thing. I actually couldn’t get into Infomaniac at all.

Weird LiBrary likes this.
  8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Gonna agree that really nothing after that first album, besides a small handful of songs, really did anything for me. The debut is one of my favorite albums though.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The Needles, The Space is one of my all-time favorite albums. Also think Prepare to Be Wrong has some of their strongest songs. The debut is obviously very good too. But I'd probably put that third behind TNTS and PTBW.

10. Dog Fish

Mutt

Throwback to when I saw SR on their tour with hot rod circuit, northstar, and say anything in like 04?. They all played an acoustic set in boise because the venue was so small.

Orla likes this.
  11. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

Ya I loved TNTS when I came out. Went through it again last year and it's still great.

Very lucky I caught a John Nolan solo set and Michelle played some Straylight with him a few years back.

Orla likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I saw SR headline in 2007 with The Color Fred & Cassino & Dear and the Headlights
    Then in 2008 when they opened for Bayside

Then saw John Nolan with Geoff Rickly solo show in Cleveland in 2013.

13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I got to see Straylight Run's first show at The Downtown on Long Island and my tickets didn't work. Will Noon did me a solid and snuck me in the back door.

When I was at South Side Middle School in Rockville Centre, John, Michelle, and The Starting Line's manager were living in a house on Grand Avenue and I'd always walk by it when I was on my way home from school. They'd always be chilling on the porch and would tell me about how writing the Straylight debut was going. Good times!

Orla, beachdude, Zilla and 4 others like this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I only saw them play once and people wouldn’t stop talking loudly in the crowd. Never went to that venue again because of it.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I remember the first time I saw them in December of 2007, I was stunned at how small the crowd was. It was at The Agora in Cleveland which has both a theatre and a ballroom. I was under the assumption it was going to be in the theatre and I guess I wildly underestimated their popularity because it was in the ballroom and maybe 75-100 people there tops. They were dropped from Universal that same month.

Likewise, when I saw John/Geoff in Cleveland in 2013, there was maybe 20 people tops at that show. Granted, it was on Mother's Day, but still. I was like WTF is going on here? (eddie was there in the crowd)

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

saw straylight open for simple plan in 2005, saw them open for bayside in 2007 or 2008, saw them headline only once i believe in NYC, caught them at warped tour once or twice, and then saw john play solo with michelle on a few songs in i think 2011 or 2012.

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

re-post from 2018

Orla, Osceola13, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Still Alone, The Miracle That Never Came, and This Is The End. :heart:

19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Michelle's songs rule.

Osceola13, beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I remember seeing BN in an intimate club/bar setting (opening for Face to Face, Moneen and Riddlin Kids) and only one guy was dancing and maybe like 5 of us there watching up front.

I’ll be honest. I was really there to see more than just BN (f2f and moneen). Band hit huge weeks later ironically.

21. Dog Fish

Mutt

Now It's Done is amazing. Unfortunately, it's the one song they didn't play at the acoustic show i mentioned. My friend requested it twice, but she seemed too embarrassed to play it or something. Shawn was quietly encouraging her each time he asked, but she wouldn't budge.

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

toolsheds is a bop, how dare you

23. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

and “how do i fix my head” could be the best song on needles tbh

Orla and irthesteve like this.
  24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's funny. I saw them at a sold out show at the Grog Shop with a then-unknown Minus the Bear and The Honorary Title. it was right as "Prom Night" was catching on. The crowd was super hot for them.

25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

what year? I’m pretty sure around the time they released their first album they did actually play the agora theater. There was a ton of anticipation/hype surrounding their first album cycle.