Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Straylight Run Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

I just heard Your Name Here during the commercial break of a live foo concert I was watching. I marked out. I miss straylight run so much! I figured I'd make this thread so other people could express the same if they wanted to.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

How was their not a thread for this band already? Hot take, but The Needles, The Space is one of my all-time favorite albums.

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea band needs a thread, glad you made it

Whatjuliansaid and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Miss this band, TNTS was such an amazing album that always seemed overlooked

Whatjuliansaid and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

The Michelle songs are still super underrated.

KidLightning likes this.
  6. irthesteve

I wish she was still making music, it looks to me like after Destry she kinda stopped

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  7. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I also felt that TNTS was a really great record, and I was disappointed when John went on that podcast talking negatively about it, saying it wasn’t up to par. I found it for sale at a local record store this past summer and was both shocked and stoked on it.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  8. Whatjuliansaid

Last time I saw them they played new stuff that never made an album, guessing due to the financial complications they were going through. That's such a bummer, it was really really good.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. irthesteve

The way this banded was so heartbreaking. Essentially folding to the fact that they couldn't make the band financially viable. I totally get it, but it's so sad to hear.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. irthesteve

If I recall correctly they were planning a trio of EPs that could be compiled at the end for a full album, then never were able to make the third. Songs were probably from that?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

“The Perfect Ending” has been in my head a lot this weekend.

jco3 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  12. Whatjuliansaid

I'm not totally sure haha have to ask them

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. Kingjohn_654

Man that song gets me right in the feels each time.

Did you see John Nolan's tweets about the Jesse thing?

KidLightning likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

I saw one tweet. Did he say more?

And yeah "The Perfect Ending" is such a great song and (ironically? coincidently?) a great opener for the album.

15. Kingjohn_654

Three tweets

KidLightning likes this.
  16. I liked their first album quite a bit.

17. Elder Lightning

Threets! Just found them. I'd love more input from him, but I doubt we'll get anything much.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. Kingjohn_654

Maybe one day he'll write a memoir.

19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think I've talked about this a few times in the TBS thread, but I saw Straylight Run the day they were dropped from Universal Records (Dec 8 2007). It was such a strange show because the mood was weird, but they were phenomenal. And the openers were Cassino, Dear and the Headlights and The Color Fred. So it was such a great line-up. Saw them again a few months after that open for Bayside and that was just as awesome.

I would kill for some reunion shows, but my guess is it's unlikely.

Kingjohn_654 and airik625 like this.
  20. Ed59_

Regular

As much as I enjoy the new TBS stuff with John I'd love more Straylight. Their self-titled is one of my favourite albums of all time.

And for real, the scene with 'Hands in the Sky' is one of the greatest moments in Sons of Anarchy.

Aj LaGambina and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  21. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The Needles the Space is underrated as hell. I always felt like people didn't like Michelle's songs, but I think "Cover Your Eyes" might be the best song on that record.

Kingjohn_654, Drewski and irthesteve like this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

TNTS is my favorite Straylight album and one of my favorite album of the 2000s.

Kingjohn_654, Drewski and irthesteve like this.
  23. irthesteve

Michelle was totally underrated in the band, I love her voice and contributions

Kingjohn_654 and Drewski like this.
  24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I love this band and just seeing this thread title made a lot of nostalgia come roaring back.

When I was in middle school, the house John, Michelle, and I believe The Starting Line's manager were living in was around the corner from my school, and only a few blocks from my house. They lived there while they were recording self-titled and they were always chilling on the porch and were the friendliest people. When my tickets didn't work at their first show ever at The Downtown in Farmingdale, Will Noon recognized me and snuck me in the back door. I still have an autograph from Michelle that says "Drew — You're the best in RVC!" (Rockville Centre, where I grew up). Ended up seeing them many more times, including opening for Brand New at Roseland (RIP) during the 2003 tour I believe.

In terms of Michelle and her songs, "This Is The End" might be the most underrated song in the entire catalog.

Kingjohn_654, ncarrab and irthesteve like this.
  25. TJ Wells Mar 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2018)
    TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I remember seeing them open for Coheed at HoB in Chicago. That was...weird. I believe the entire lineup was Coheed, 3, The Detachment Kit and Straylight. Who the hell put that tour together?

Drewski and irthesteve like this.