Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stranger Things (Netflix) TV Show • Page 89

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Jun 9, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Great point. Honestly I completely forgot about the racism, haven't watched S2 since it came out. I do agree that Max seemed surprisingly positive about him.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

okay Okay OKAY i can handle that ending. the hopper tease was good but FUCK YEAH DEMAGORGON BACK

imthesheriff, David87 and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just finished, lots of thoughts but overall really liked it.

A couple quick things:
    1. Billy’s actor was really great, and I thought Hop, El, Joyce, Mike and Steve were really well acted too.
    2. My favorite performance came from Maya Hawke, who was super charismatic as Robin and interacted super well with Dustin and Steve. I know it isn’t shocking since her parents are both elite actors, but still cool to see a newcomer do so well on the show.
    3. The mall was such a great set piece.
    4. Two things that I wish we got was more Dustin x gang interaction and any time at all in the upside down.

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This show does a great job of bringing in new characters and having them fit in/stand out/steal our hearts. So many other similar shows fail in that area but they always nail it.

5. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Man why do I not remember Billy racism

I'll prob watch the whole series all the way through soon

imthesheriff and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. owenlongsworth

Regular

I think the Billy flashback scenes kind of shed more light on the racism for season 2. Clearly his dad was a piece of shit, and we can only assume he was probably racist. I see it as a case of the kid being raised around it and getting it from the parent.

Also, I’ve read some interviews with Mille and David and both pretty much confirm Hopper is still alive.

clucky likes this.
  7. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

The whole Billy arc this season did nothing for me. I felt like there was no stake in his redemption because he was already brainwashed the whole season, so as a result the redemption arc was inconsequential because we see none of the behavior that the flashbacks were supposed to explain. It felt really lazily done to me.

Also, I wasn't really engaged with Dacre Montgomery's acting because so much of the character this season relied on either Visual Effects or his robotic monotone, I never really knew how to feel.

Also his death was cheap and pointless imo and completely defeated the point of that subplot because, other than his final act heroism, we never see the impact of a reformed Billy on Max. Who once again, seems bizarrely affectionate towards him which conflicts the fact she was so willing to stab him right in the jugular last season.

Zilla and bodkins like this.
  8. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Hopper is hiding under a dumpster.

Lucas27, zachmacD, PatRFinley and 8 others like this.
  9. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

“Tell me who you work for.” “For the last time I work for Scoops Ahoy!”

10. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"how many children are you friends with?"

11. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

David87, Rowan5215, RyanPm40 and 7 others like this.
  12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Idk I personally think crying is a pretty appropriate response to seeing your sibling get stabbed to death seconds after breaking out of a monster’s mind control, even if he was a piece of shit.

Like even with real abusive relationships that don’t include the kind of narrative “redemption” that Billy gets, emotional connections often supersede how one is supposed to “logically” feel towards their abuser ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

333 GANG and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  13. Dog with a Blog

I want Hop’s shirt

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

15. phaynes12

it’s a great shirt

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  17. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

imthesheriff likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Finished this last night and I dread waiting a another year and a half (at least) for Season 4. I actually just watched Season 2 for the first time a few weeks ago, so it was awesome to just only have to wait a few weeks to jump right into Season 3.

The end of Episode 8
    was brutally emotional for me, absolutely loved the letter scene. Could have wrapped up the entire series after that and I would have been OK with it, I think. Equally emotional was the earlier scene in the series of Will destroying his fort (or whatever that was).

The whole Hopper and Joyce bickering got old pretty quick but I still enjoyed all their scenes together for the most part. I wasn't really sure what they were trying to do with Hopper for most of the season. Like, most of the time I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt for all that he's been through then other times I was like, alright dude, you're going way too far.

Murray was fantastic this season. Loved the Russian Scientist. Robin was a delight and her and Steve were awesome together. Didn't love Erika...thought her character was way too forced. After I watched Season 2 a few weeks ago, I went back in this thread to that era and it seemed a lot of you didn't like Billy. Obviously, Billy is a piece of shit, but I thought he was so well acted that I loved every second he was on the screen. Asshole or not, I just thought he really commanded every scene he was in. Really sad to see him go because he was one of the characters I enjoyed most. That Terminator dude was terrifying. As a huge fan of The Terminator when I was a kid, I loved the callback. Wish they'd find more to do with Will. He's like the essential part of the entire series, yet the only time they really focus on him is when he can feel the monster coming back.

No way Hopper is dead. He's either the American prisoner or he's in the Upside Down. Curious to see how S4 will handle it.

incognitojones likes this.
  20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Have you seen pictures of Harbour IRL lately? His beard is huge, I'd like to think he was growing it out for S4.

21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

This is the best reasoning for Hopper being alive that I’ve seen yet

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Side note, CGI this season was some of the best I've ever seen

Kingjohn_654 and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  23. phaynes12

it’s probably black widow but yes that would rule.

24. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I mean I don’t want Hopper to be dead but the end was just so emotional because of it. It would almost feel cheap if/when he comes back.

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The scene with them calling the “Philadelphia Public Library” is straight out of Three Days of the Condor and I love that.