Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stranger Things (Netflix) TV Show • Page 52

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

You know what actually? I don’t care either way.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Using the 80s pop culture as the sort of Rosetta Stone that clues your audience in on the tropes you intend to use / explore is no different than what Rian Johnson did with noir films in Brick. Or what Edgar Wright did with Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz.

And it says nothing remotely profound about society.

3. Lucas27

Trusted

Sort of off topic, but I'm always confused when I see critics of Stranger Things praise the characters but say the story doesn't have any depth. To me, a story is only as deep as the characters that inhabit it so if I'm invested in the characters I can be invested in the most mundane stuff so as long as it's all in service of the character.

I can't think of a story that isn't automatically deepened by deep characters

Random rant over. I love Stranger Things.

4. Counter point: Someone skimming less than half a TV show and then bashing it online as a "binge-worthy, millennial-targeted, viral show" says a lot about our society.

:teethsmile:

FTank, Surfwax, Barresi and 4 others like this.
  5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

6. I watched The Babysitter last weekend and did not like it. Never been a McG fan.

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I haven't watched it, but it's probably not great because Steve isn't the babysitter anyway so oh well.

8. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I liked the Babysitter a decent amount but I can confirm that I would have been better if Steve Was The Babysitter.

carrytheweird likes this.
  9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Should we pitch a "Steve The Babysitter" spin off to the Duffer brothers? I think I'd watch that.

Jake W likes this.
  10. I remember you posting your opinion about albums you couldn't finish. Your opinion was valid to me.

How is this different?

Anyway, my post, which I think clearly shows how I wasn't taking what I was saying that seriously, was meant to start friendly discussion and I'm getting the opposite in return. Doesn't align much with the concept I have of this community.

I guess I'll think twice before posting.

Carry on.

11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I can only speak for myself, but everything about your post indicated the exact opposite to me.

Greg and Jason Tate like this.
  12. When I can't finish an album I write, "I didn't like/hated this and couldn't finish it so I turned it off." I would not then go into depth discussing the album or parts and themes I never heard. Second, hearing a song and knowing I don't like an album is very different than commenting on an entire story or making sweeping comments about a series without watching it.

Why would anyone want to have a discussion with someone that didn't watch the material and starts the "friendly" discussion with:
    The way people eat this up even if it's just a collage of old movies that rides entirely on nostalgia says a lot about our society.

I don't know what it says but it says a lot.

Joe4th and Greg like this.
  13. Why Bother? Nov 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 7, 2017)
    I thought that sentence made it clear how I wasn't taking what I was saying seriously. I was being humorous while trying to foster discussion.

Next time I'll watch what I say when it comes to a TV show on Netflix.

14. Greg

Next time you think about posting at all, just close the window and think to yourself, “why bother?”

RJ Knorr likes this.
  15. Clearly no one else took it that way.

ok

16. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah, this kind of goes beyond pure nostalgia, more than relying on nostalgia it uses nostalgia as a tool, the above being a good example.

Don't get me started on Ready Player 1 tho

17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

The show is self aware. When Lucas describes season 1 to Max, she calls it a little derivative lol

I don't have any nostalgia for 80s films since I haven't really seen a ton and I love this show so I think it stands up on its own

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I dont even really feel nostalgia for 80’s movies, music, or TV— and if I do, it’s unconscious. I still thoroughly enjoy this show and its characters. I don’t think it’s doing anything particularly innovative, but I don’t think it’s trash, and it fulfills what it sets out to do fairly well.

I feel like people want to dislike this show because it’s popular and is enjoying a grace period after its successful second season. Sure it’s not a perfect meeting of nostalgia, drama, and horror- but it’s still pretty good (and accessible). Watch the new Twin Peaks if you want something nostalgic, dramatic, terrifying, AND innovative.

incognitojones and ship90 like this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Not gonna lie, this line made me roll my eyes. I felt it was so on the nose and just unnecessary. I might not love this show, but I enjoy it enough and I don’t think they need to apologize for anything, and that really took me out of the show, albeit briefly.

Anyways, I don’t necessarily agree 100% with this, mainly in regards to season 1, but I think this does a pretty good job of explaining how Stranger Things pays homage to its influences, while still being its own thing.

incognitojones likes this.
  20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I wasn't alive in that time period to feel nostalgic about it I guess, but I really admire when there is such dedication to nailing a certain time period. I get really impressed with all of the little details that make the world seem real or like I'm actually experiencing that time while I watch. I also enjoy how stuff set in the past uses the technology of that era and how it services the story. At one point I forgot it's set in the 80s and thought omg Hopper just call on ur cell phone and we could avoid this conflict. And then I was like oh duh. But it's interesting to see how they navigate without all the current tech and how they use the tech of that time to tell the story.

21. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Really want more upside down lore in season 3. Not sure how they can do it but if they do...I’ll be real stoked.

How are the creatures related, are there more dimensions, is DnD just the characters to make connections or does it have a larger part to play in the story.

Outside of ep 7, Dustin’s 13 yo decision making, and losing sweet dear Bob. Only thing really still lingering for me.

incognitojones likes this.
  22. Kiana

But really WHO STOPS RUNNING WHEN THE MONSTERS ARE RIGHT THERE. WHOOOO

KennedyBN likes this.
  23. Greg

Go away!

GO AWAY!

Lucas27 and RyanPm40 like this.
  24. Kiana

My sister spoiled that someone died but didn't say who. I wondered if it would be him cause he just had those limited role vibes going on, but as soon as he stopped running and did like a slo mo smile thing I was like lol bye ur the goner.

SpyKi and Jake W like this.
  25. Greg

He didn’t yell, “go away” either. It’s his own fault.

RyanPm40 and Kiana like this.