Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stowaway (2021)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

New space film, starring Anna Kendrick

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This is the exact definition of a 2.5/5 movie. It’s not bad. It’s not good. It’s just there.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Agreed; felt like it was going to build up to some massive thing, but storywise it just kind of farts out, hahaha. The fact that they didn't really bother at all trying to explain how Michael got stuck/how come nobody from his crew noticed he was missing/who screwed the lid on him shut, knowing he was in there. This just feels like the director going "I was just want fuck with the audience and let them make up the reasons why things happen"

Garrett likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

How they filmed the external scenes, climbing up and down the tether, were pretty cool. In real life though, no way would they ever have a gravity-generating ship design with arms/tethers that long. They'd for sure bring it in much closer and have it rotate around a bigger central structure, a la Interstellar

Garrett likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My grandfather worked for NASA for a time, so I’ve always been obsessed with space... so the fact no one noticed just doesn’t make sense! Also, NASA would’ve 100% aborted the mission the second he was found.

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think the reason they couldn't abort (they only addressed this in passing) was that the ship was basically gliding to Mars? Like they had no real way to turn around (even though the other arm had a giant rocket at the end of it). They were soo close to Earth too when Michael was found; you'd think they'd just try to at least stop the ship and get some rescue craft to fly out to them or something. Maybe they carried re-supplies for the Mars colony that the colony really needed, so turning around would endanger them (something they could have addressed in the film). And that CDMA thing that broke? NASA would carry a backup and a backup to the backup, for such a critical piece of kit. Maybe this whole thing is just a critique on Hyperion, on the mistakes a private company could run into, that maybe an org like NASA wouldn't.

Garrett likes this.