Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I sent it on a desktop.

2. Davjs

Trusted

I'm pretty sure it's just Ryan and Adam checking the messages and responding. They probably just check it at certain times and reply to a bunch at once. Hopefully you get it today! If not, I wonder if I can send you mine.....

3. Michael Schmidt

Thanks. It's just weird because I sent a message about the same time, a little after 10PM EST and I haven't gotten anything yet.

4. Davjs

Trusted

I sent you a PM

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  5. Michael Schmidt

I just got the link. We are all good!

inwaves and Davjs like this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

Revisited the 10 Years and Counting album and man, this track still gives me goosebumps. Probably my favorite "fast heavy track done acoustic" I've ever heard (shout out though to Under a Killing Moon).

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

Anyone go to the private show tonight for the album funders?

8. Davjs

Trusted

I didn't even though I live in Stl. I opted for the signed vinyl of the album. I'm curious about the set list. On YouTube someone posted sidewalks acoustic and a new song that's not Bang Bang.

9. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Man, all the guitar tracking clips that Ryan has posted on the pledge site have me so excited. Sounds so much bigger and weirder than his playing on The Constant.

Davjs likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

He's gotta step it up since its all him right?

inwaves likes this.
  11. Michael Schmidt

I don't understand why Adam can't still record and play local shows. The amount of activity in the band, Adam could totally do it within the framework of a "day job". I'm sure seeing them live is still fun, but losing that extra guitar is an absolute downgrade in my mind.

inwaves likes this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

It is a downgrade and I don't understand how some songs can be pulled off live, but I've seen them twice with Phil on bass and they do it somehow. Adam came in and played bass for Until the Day I Die at the show last week, as well as almost every show here since he left. I guess the problem is that he walked away from being in the band full time/touring and it may throw off the vibe of the new band by having him come in and record? I dunno really.

13. Michael Schmidt

Just seems weird since SOTY doesn't really tour hard anymore. Oh well haha.

14. Davjs

Trusted

I agree with you. Maybe they plan on touring after this album and want to just avoid any bad blood if Adam gets the wrong idea of his role. It was probably just a clean break like "Either you are completely in or not". I do miss Phil on the guitar live though, the bass is too heavy for him to throw around and do spin kicks :tear:

15. Michael Schmidt

Yep! I love the spin kicks. They are athletic dudes, so it's cool to use that to your advantage performing when you are already good at playing. I would rather they just have the Fuck Off and Dies' bassist fill-in live and let Phil and Ryan rip it up. I get the whole NFG thing of keeping it to the OG's, but this is a band that specifically wrote music around multiple guitars, so cutting one out doesn't make total sense to me.

16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The guy was literally there at each show I went to last year they played, he totally could play a song or two.

17. Michael Schmidt

Haha it's like, just go up there and play the songs.

18. DarkHotline

He did play the last part of their last song during the Hometown Takeover show so there's that.

19. Michael Schmidt

Which is cool, but still. I guess my rant is centered around where and how SOTY exists today. They play some hometown shows and a few festivals that make sense. Some of the guys have a second band and or working a more sustainable job like I assume Adam is doing. He could totally balance that out. If the band was still grinding it out full-time it would totally make sense to me. I guess the answer is simple and he probably doesn't want to play anymore, which would be sad. At that point I would prefer SOTY to have a friend from STL fill-in on bass. Doesn't matter though because I probably won't get to see them live again at this rate. I will go back to being grateful there is a new record at all haha.

Davjs and inwaves like this.
  20. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

I'm in total agreement. I want two guitars live and I miss Adam being in the band. But it doesn't matter because I'm happy there's a new album at all and I probably won't be able to see them live anyway haha.

Davjs likes this.
  21. DarkHotline

I do think that it wouldn't kill Adam to play a local show here or there. That said, totally respect that he doesn't want to.

22. Michael Schmidt

Agreed. I am mostly questioning the band's decision to not use a fill-in. I'm sure they have friends in the area that were around for the early days with Big Blue Monkey or something that could play. I get wanting to respect Adam's legacy as a founding member, but I just think their live show is better with two guitars.

23. DarkHotline

Oh they could get any bass player in a decent band from the area to play with them if they wanted to, they're just being silly and holding out on it. BTW, for the STL peeps in here, has it ever been weird to you seeing Phil as a radio personality? I see him from time to time at a Point promotion and I've yet to accept that.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah its been a little weird, esp since everyone around here calls him Moon now. No, he has a name :-) You'd think with him being a radio dude now, they would play SOTY maybe just a little but more than they do now which is never. Man, the point sucks

25. Davjs

Trusted