Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Jul 19, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

It's a shame a record as good as ITWOD didn't catch on, but I can see how it didn't fit into the musical climate at the time. I wonder if things would have been different if they had followed up Page Ave with Black Swan.

2. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah, with Wake Up being the first single, I think I would have done better than We Don't Care Anymore. If anything, I think the heavier stuff would do better today.

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I may be off on this but I always felt like their dip in popularity started in '08 with Black Swan and then the Constant. It just seemed like bad timing for them. Their core base went to college after Wake and most probably never came back once they started working and having families. 2008-2011ish was kind of a weird music time looking back. You had some wave pop punk getting going, a lot of metlacore/heavy screamo stuff, and then electronic dance like 303. And Story comes from a more DIY punk and hardcore mind set. They were never going to do something they didn't believe in. I just think a big piece of their market left and never came back in the same numbers. At that point there is no reason to keep grinding it out. I think going away and doing one off stuff makes sense.

inwaves likes this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

That makes sense, but I guess there is really no way of telling. I always took it as they toured ITWOD and had pretty good turn out because of the success of Page Ave and I think they were on some pretty high profile tours at the time (Taste of Chaos). I think causal fan reactions to ITWOD killed their steam so when they released and started to tour Black Swan, half their audience was gone already.

Again, pure speculation. Either or neither scenario could be the case.

inwaves likes this.
  5. inwaves

What podcast was that? I'd love to give it a listen.

6. Michael Schmidt

Here you go! Just click on the episode with Phil.
    Home

inwaves likes this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Davjs likes this.
  8. Michael Schmidt

95% now!

inwaves likes this.
  9. inwaves

So awesome

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

awesome

11. Michael Schmidt

I'm sure they set the goal fairly modest since they are already locked in and can do a majority of it themselves at Dan's studio. However, this quick of a response is certainly a good thing.

12. Davjs

Trusted

I agree. They deserve it all and more. They never stated how much their goal was, did they?

13. Michael Schmidt

No I could not find it on their pledge page. If I really cared I could go through the contributors tab and maybe back into a general number, but that's more work than it's worth haha.

inwaves and Davjs like this.
  14. Michael Schmidt

98% in two days. Any way you slice it the band has to take that as a positive. There is enough demand for the band to exist when it makes sense for members, but they don't need to believe in some unrealistic expectation of fitting in a ststem they didn't seem comfortable existing in. Good for them.

inwaves likes this.
  15. inwaves

16. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, Phil is a cool dude that just sort of gets it. It helps being involved with radio, but he has a really good personality. All of the guys in the band seem to be fun people. Glad you liked it!

Davjs likes this.
  17. inwaves

No doubt. Bassassins and Our Time is Now are two of my all time favorite band DVDs. There's no telling how many times I've watched those. I'm kind of bummed that the era of the "band DVD" is over haha.

Davjs likes this.
  18. inwaves

Adam and Ryan made their documentary available to those who backed the project on Kickstarter. I just got done watching it, and it was fantastic. They really show just how hard it is for mid-level bands to make a living in the music industry. They cover Adam's decision to leave the band as well. They got some pretty cool interviews also.

19. Michael Schmidt Nov 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 15, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Where is the link to download/watch it? I backed the project and can't find it.

Edit: Never mind, I just jumped through the vimeo hoops haha.

20. inwaves

Let me know what you think!

21. Davjs

Trusted

I really liked the Doc. Loved that they showed a ton of Story of the Year footage and music, more than likely because it's free to use. They did a good job of not making it feel slow at all. Josh telling people who think music should be free to jump off a bridge made me lol so hard at work. It's really depressing in some parts though.

22. inwaves

They really didn't shy away from showing how frustrated the members of SOTY are with the industry, which was cool. It's a very honest documentary.

Davjs likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

I haven't received the link yet. How long did it take you guys to get a response?

24. inwaves

Are you using the mobile or desktop Vimeo site? I didn't get a response until I messaged them on the desktop site.

25. Davjs

Trusted

I only used desktop and I sent it before bed around 10pm and had it in the morning :-)