Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Jul 19, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Do we know who is producing the new album?

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Aaron Sprinkle!!

I'm quite excited for it

teebs41 likes this.
  3. inwaves

Shit, I watched the video on the pledgemusic page right after I posted that question. That's awesome! I love his work with Anberlin.

4. irthesteve

He's done so much more than just Anberlin too.

He's produced with all these bands too: Acceptance, The Almost, Copeland, Eisley, Emery, Gatsby's American Dream, Mae, Relient K.

He also has some cool solo albums and multiple bands over the years including Fair, who are awesome

5. inwaves

Nice, I'll check out some more of his work. I love Acceptance and Copeland.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

What's up fellow SOTY fans! I agree with the sentiment that they don't have a bad album. I will say PA and In the Wake are my personal favorites. Trying to go through and come up with a top 5 for songs. Off the top of my head, the songs I have come back to the most over the years for playlists and such have been And the Hero Will Drown, In the Shadows, Our Time is Now, and Take Me Back.

inwaves and Davjs like this.
  7. Jake Z

Regular

Hope this has a good mix of heavy songs thrown in. Excited to check it out.

inwaves and Davjs like this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

Even though they aren't my favorite band, it's this is the hardest band for me to do a top 5. I tired above a little ways back, but it could totally change if I were to redo it :-)

9. Michael Schmidt

Are there two versions of Take Me Back? I had the CD w/ the parental advisory sticker where Dan screams "take me back" at the end. However, I watched the video for the first time since the song was released and it's melodic the whole way. Just curious if that was done for the video or if that's how it's performed for the edited version of the album.

10. inwaves

I'm pretty sure it's just the video/radio version. It still sounds so weird to me haha.

11. Davjs

Trusted

It's pretty bad lol. Screaming is toned down/cut out for radio singles typically. I remember Miss Murder by AFI being butchered too.

12. Michael Schmidt

I wasn't the biggest music video guy so I missed that SOTY one. I do remember that Miss Murder one haha.

I know Adam left the band, but does anyone know what he is up to now? I have seen where he has come back to play a song or something, but with how little SOTY has been doing, I was surprised he hasn't been doing those shows. It's weird seeing them as a four piece.

13. irthesteve

I don't think I have ever heard the video version of that song, suppose I should check it out

14. Davjs

Trusted

He just finished that documentary about the music business, but other than that I'm not sure what is going on with him. I know Phil is doing pretty well on bass, but I kinda wish they replaced Adam because not only are some songs lacking without a 2nd guitar but Phil was the only one left who did the flips and guitar spins. From what I've seen he does their famous Spin Kick move with the bass once during Hero Will Drown, so there is still hope lol

15. Michael Schmidt

I think I funded that campaign. Wasn't Ryan or Phil doing that with Adam?

I mostly want a fifth member up there for sound, but I loved their energy from back in the day. It didn't feel forced. It seemed like Ryan stopped doing the antics a while ago. Glad Phil at least gives us on spin kick.

16. Davjs

Trusted

Yep! It is Ryan and Adam's project. I think Adam maybe worked on it a bit more though because Ryan has two bands and Adam doesn't have anything in the spotlight, but that is just pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, around the time of Black Swan Ryan quit doing the spins and guitar moves, but its ok because he solos like hell. He only does a spin kick for the first chorus of Dive Right In. God, it's insane that I know all of this..... :-|

17. Michael Schmidt

I have only seen SOTY three times. First time was Warped Tour when only Page was out in 2004 I want to say. Second time was the Nintendo Fusion Tour. I think Wake was out for that. Then the most recent one was the last time they came to Cleveland for the Page Avenue stuff. That is when I saw the limited guitar spins and kicks. It would be cool to be close to STL so you can see those one off shows.

18. irthesteve

I saw them last year and they fuckin brought it

19. inwaves

I still haven't seen them live. I'm going to have to take a road trip one of these days.

20. Michael Schmidt

Those guys are clearly anal about how they sound. Even their YouTube sets, it's hard to find stuff where the band sounds bad.

inwaves likes this.
  21. Michael Schmidt

I strongly debated doing the $300 VIP thing to drink beer and watch them rip a small club gig from the stage, but it's just too hard being from Cleveland to lock-in for a shitty January drive.

22. inwaves

Seriously, I've only ever seen footage of them killing it.

Davjs likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

Phil was on a podcast recently and they talked about their live sound. You could tell in the piece that being off just a bit pisses them off haha. It's cool that they want to deliver every night.

24. Davjs

Trusted

Being in STL, I'm lucky I have been able to see them once a year since 2004. Nintendo Fusion was just touring Page Ave, it's the tour Live in the Lou was shot on. As much as I miss the flips and tricks, they are still really fantastic live sound and energy live without it all.

25. Davjs

Trusted

Absolutely. It's criminal they weren't able to keep being as big they were during Page Ave.