Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Jul 19, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Always been a big fan of these guys. They're incredible musicians, and I pretty much learned how to play guitar by playing along to In the Wake of Determination. Discuss!

solxace likes this.
  2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I've seen them twice this year, still fun to watch. Who knows when we'll get that new music though.

3. inwaves

It's been far too long. I'm honestly bummed that Adam isn't in the band anymore, but Ryan seems to just get better and better as a guitarist, so I'm sure the new songs will still rule.

4. DarkHotline

Adam made an appearance at their Hometown Takeover show in January, played the end of their last song too.

inwaves likes this.
  5. inwaves

In the Wake is such a fun guitar record. "Our Time is Now" and "'Is This My Fate?' He Asked Them" have some really great riffs. I remember being surprised at how heavy those songs were coming off of Page Avenue.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Page Avenue and In the Wake are unbelievable albums. Never got to see them live, but I watch Live at the Lou at least once a year.

DarkHotline and inwaves like this.
  7. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I've seen them numerous times since 2003, too many times to count. I'll never forget the surprise I was in for when I popped in "ITWOD" for the first time, and that's not a bad thing at all. "The Black Swan" had a promising first half but IMO completely falls apart toward the end. "The Constant" was a step up, but dammit I wish these guys would finally record something new. It's been over 6 years now!

inwaves likes this.
  8. inwaves

Live in the Lou/Bassassins is one of the best band DVDs for sure. Their second DVD Our Time is Now is amazing too.

They keep saying there's new music coming this year, so hopefully it will actually happen. Also, The Black Swan is definitely front loaded but Welcome to Our New War is a hell of a closer. I actually wasn't crazy about The Constant but it has grown on me considerably since its release. I kinda want a record full of songs like Is This My Fate and Won Threw Ate, but it will never happen haha.

ChrisCantWrite and trevorshmevor like this.
  9. DarkHotline

I actually have a hard time listening to In The Wake but only due to personal memories attached to that album.

10. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Only saw them one time year ago at Warped. Put on a damn good show. Page Avenue will always be a huge high school nostalgia album for me.

11. Davjs

Trusted

Heavy SOTY is the best SOTY. Won Threw Ate and Eye For an Eye need to debut live still. They recently pulled out Pay Your Enemy for the first time, so maybe we have hope.

inwaves likes this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

crap now I want to check out their records post Page Avenue

inwaves likes this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

The only get better IMO.

inwaves likes this.
  14. DarkHotline

Their last two records are decent. Not as good as PA or ITWOD but there's still some good cuts on both.

15. Davjs

Trusted

Black Swan is the best though.... :-)

I'd rate all of their albums super high though. I'd rank Page the lowest if I had to choose.

16. DarkHotline

I have too many memories and too much nostalgia attached to PA to ever put it at the bottom.

17. Davjs

Trusted

I do too for PA and IWOD, those were my high school years. But......... Black Swan is a perfect mix of both styles and their best songs are on that album, the title track, Choose Your Fate, Antidote, Angel in the Swamp and Welcome to Our New War.

18. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Their first three albums hold such a special place in my heart. I've never seen them live, but I've watched Bassassins and Live in the Lou many, many, times.

19. DarkHotline

Honestly at this point, I'd say just make a trip to STL (Yes, I know that sounds bad) and see them whenever they play here. They play a few times every year and their shows here are always bananas.

ChrisCantWrite and Davjs like this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

Are you going to the Pageant later this month?

21. DarkHotline

I'm not really sure yet. I'd love to see them for a third time but there are so many shows around that time I'd rather go to so it's up in the air.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Before the last show they did, I figured they were stuck playing the same set but damn, they switched it up a bit last time.

23. inwaves

Alright, I think I've decided The Black Swan is my favorite SOTY album. I think it's their most accomplished record lyrically and musically. ITWOD is a close second.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

I agree. My ranking would be: BS>ITWOD>Constant>PA

Hard because I love them all so much.

inwaves likes this.
  25. inwaves

I fully agree. The Constant took a while to grow on me, but I really like it now. I think I was a little disappointed that they didn't continue their trend of getting heavier, but now I just appreciate the songs.