Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year – “I Swear, I’m Okay”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Story of the Year have shared their new song “I Swear, I’m Okay.” I’ve heard the album, it’s poppy, but in a lot of ways it feels like a modern version of Page Avenue. It’s fun and well produced. It’ll definitely be getting some spins for a few weeks.

studskalny and BornToRun like this.
  2. heavyd

Definitely digging both songs. Love Aaron Sprinkles production.

Davjs likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Kinda fell off them but Page Avenue was huge for me so reading that got me super excited.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Sweet stoked to listen to the whole thing after reading that!

Larry David likes this.
  5. Loki

God of mischief

You definitely amped up the hype-level with this post...!

6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've liked both songs so far and the clips from the rest sound pretty good. Looking forward to this.

7. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I know I'm going to enjoy this whether it leans toward Page Avenue or Black Swan, but I definitely like it when this band pulls out all the stops and just reaches for the heavier stuff.

carlosonthedrums and inwaves like this.
  8. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Ehh did not enjoy. But I tried!

9. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Not as cool as 'Bang Bang', but still a really good track, I'm into it.

10. Davjs

Trusted

I'm not surprised the album has a Page Ave vibe, it was their biggest album and they have stated how excited they are to try and make a big splash again with this release. I personally would have loved a more In The Wake/Black Swan feel, but these guys deserve for this to be successful so I get it.

inwaves likes this.
  11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Really keen for this now!
    I've moved away from aggressive music so a return to their more pop-oriented sound is alright in my books, as long as the hooks and the energy are there.

I feel like Rise Against did that well this year (probably thinking about them because both albums are titled Wolves). They didn't return to their aggressive roots or anything. They just wrote better songs with bigger hooks. The added energy just came along accordingly. That album just jumps out at you the way their previous couple failed to imo.

12. I don't like that Rise Against album much at all FWIW. Haven't listened to it in months.

13. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

That's cool. I think it's on par with Appeal to Reason, probably better.

14. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

One of the biggest let downs of the year for me, for a record called Wolves it’s so...toothless and uninspiring?

15. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I'm amazed anyone could be let down by Rise Against at all after The Black Market. The bar to clear was at ground level haha

16. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I think it’s got some solid songs on there (including the bonus tracks which should have been included) but they don’t hold a candle to their old stuff and I consider myself a big RA fan.

17. And they didn't clear it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I don’t get The Black Market hate! I think it’s good.

Colby Searcy and Davjs like this.
  19. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Black Market has three good songs (Time + Tragedy, Eco Terrorist, Methodone).
    Wolves has three bad songs (The Violence, Bullshit, How Many Walls).
    All Wolves lacks to me is a standout track -- House on Fire, Far From Perfect, Miracle are all great but fall short of being Savior-type moments.

Anyway didn't mean to derail the thread, everyone talk about Story of the Year again. They deserve it!

20. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Definitely hear the poppy. I like it.

21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Sec
    Mars

22. Davjs

Trusted

Black Market is such a clear step up from End Game which is easily their worst effort. Wolves isn't up to par with everything Appeal and before, but it's a good step in the right direction I thought.

23. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

So much hype for this album

24. Only if you've never actually listened to that band does this "joke" make any sense.

25. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

FYI the PledgeMusic backers got an exclusive track today too.

More like Bang Bang, less poppy. It's called The Eternal Battle For Mike Cronin's Soul (To Be Alive Again)

Davjs and BTDandFeelingThis like this.