Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stories, news, articles worth reading ... • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Thanks! Definitely made my day.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Good. Now go drink that beer you were talkin' about to celebrate. Haha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Why Aren’t We Talking About The Divorced Entrepreneur? - Feld Thoughts
    I’ve been an entrepreneur all my life and I’ve been divorced for seven years now. Going through divorce was excruciatingly painful. Not just because of the divorce itself and splitting up a family, but because of the added loneliness common for most entrepreneurs.

In the past few years I’ve become acutely aware of the plight of the divorced entrepreneur. This seldom-discussed topic almost seems taboo in business circles. So many become isolated in this precarious, solitary, often disastrous, post divorce quandary, which I believe deserves more attention within the entrepreneurial community.

This is a real and significant problem. Since I began writing about this topic, so many entrepreneurs have contacted me. I’ve become immersed in the issue and am passionate about helping others in this stage.

Meerkat and Garrett L. like this.
  5. How BuzzFeed's Jonah Peretti Is Building A 100-Year Media Company
    Pound’s insights help BuzzFeed gain a deeper understanding of its audience. But Pound is just one piece of an even more audacious data initiative called Hive that promises to make its editorial content more shareable than ever.

No one—not Peretti, Nguyen, or anyone else—actually has an exact idea how many pieces of content BuzzFeed creates or where it all gets published. Today, internal teams monitor their output using Google Spreadsheets and Slack—a hack that fails to match BuzzFeed’s increasingly complicated distribution system.

One goal of Hive is to track every editorial idea, even ones that aren’t published, across all of BuzzFeed’s many platforms. A seven-step web recipe for slow-cooker chicken becomes a 46-second Facebook video, and then a 15-second Instagram clip with the instructions written as a comment, and finally a Pinterest post with two images and a link back to the Facebook video. And if it’s going on Snapchat, it needs to be shot in portrait mode as well. It’s all the exact same recipe, but "we put it on Facebook, and we put it on YouTube, and we put it on AOL and Yahoo," says Hive lead Jane Kelly, "and all of a sudden it’s 15 different MP4 files." Soon, every piece of content produced will be uploaded into a central database and assigned a unique ID.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Drake Effect Is Real, But The Nicki Effect Is Bigger

7. phaynes1

Regular

this is really great

8. From Candice Drouet, a short film called Last Word, a story told with the last words from 129 movies.

9. Late sleepers are tired of being discriminated against. And science has their back.
    A couple of weeks ago, I reported on the science of chronobiology, which finds we all have an internal clock that keeps us on a consistent sleep and wake cycle. But the key finding is that everyone's clock is not the same. Most people fall in the middle, preferring to sleep around 11 pm to 7 am. But many — perhaps 40 percent of the population — don't naturally fit in this schedule.

There are night owls among us — whose whole circadian schedules are shifted later — and morning larks, who are shifted earlier. (If you're curious, you can assess your chronotype with this quiz here.) These traits are determined by genetics and are extremely hard to change. What's more, the research is finding that if we fight our chronotypes, our health may suffer.

But most striking to me wasn't the health implications of messing with your clock. It was the stigma late sleepers feel in a society ruled by early risers. Simply put: These late sleepers are tired of being judged for a behavior they cannot easily control. If they can't change their sleep patterns, maybe society should become more accepting of them.

10. I've been a pretty constant night owl my entire life (so is my mom and sister) and it was a real pain in the ass in school, less now that I work for myself, but I think if I had a "real" job it would be really hard. I never feel actually sharp and at the top of my ability and mind until mid-morning (9 to 10) and my best and most productive times are like 1-9 at night.

11. On a busy work day, my brain is shot by like 3:00 or 4:00. I think my high school schedule was 7:30-2:45 or something like that, which was perfect for me. The only time my schedule is really tough when my bands go on tour. Staying up late to play and the being generally incapable of sleeping in means I'm sick and exhausted by day three or so.

12. I've always been jealous of the early risers. Like my whole life I've wanted to be the productive one that is up by like 5:30 or 6 and has grabbed the day by the horns. I've just never been able to do it no matter how hard I wanted it and tried. I would be wrecked, just wrecked. Haha.

13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I had to get up at 5:30 for high school and it may have forever ruined my sleep.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

The video about coffee naps at the end of that late sleeper article was really interesting. I'll have to try that next time a nap is needed. I've always strayed away from naps in general because I know they don't work - I don't nap; I die for many hours at a time.

Carmensaopaulo and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  15. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Walter Benjamin

"An analysis of art in the age of mechanical reproduction must do justice to these relationships, for they lead us to an all-important insight: for the first time in world history, mechanical reproduction emancipates the work of art from its parasitical dependence on ritual. To an ever greater degree the work of art reproduced becomes the work of art designed for reproducibility. From a photographic negative, for example, one can make any number of prints; to ask for the “authentic” print makes no sense. But the instant the criterion of authenticity ceases to be applicable to artistic production, the total function of art is reversed. Instead of being based on ritual, it begins to be based on another practice – politics."

awwgereee and Jason Tate like this.
  17. NotBruce

Regular

Holy crap, this thread rules. I have a billion tabs open now.

18. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

Lacob going out of his way to publicly mock other organizations while pointing to his own as the "transcendant" team is not a good look, despite the team's superiority on the court:

Are some teams dysfunctional? Yes. But he has to recognize that his ownership group inherited Steph Curry, and one of their late picks has turned into an incredible talent. They have the best player in the world on a laughable contract, and he's the biggest part of their success. I would recommend listening to Nate Duncan and Ethan Sherwood-Strauss discuss this article on the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast. They have high praise for the Warriors but a more objective perspective of some of these statements.

20. Teaching Men to Be Emotionally Honest
    Last semester, a student in the masculinity course I teach showed a video clip she had found online of a toddler getting what appeared to be his first vaccinations. Off camera, we hear his father’s voice. “I’ll hold your hand, O.K.?” Then, as his son becomes increasingly agitated: “Don’t cry!… Aw, big boy! High five, high five! Say you’re a man: ‘I’m a man!’ ” The video ends with the whimpering toddler screwing up his face in anger and pounding his chest. “I’m a man!” he barks through tears and gritted teeth.

The home video was right on point, illustrating the takeaway for the course: how boys are taught, sometimes with the best of intentions, to mutate their emotional suffering into anger. More immediately, it captured, in profound concision, the earliest stirrings of a male identity at war with itself.

22. holdfasthope

Newbie Prestigious

i am this person. i am wide awake by 6:30 AM, every day, without fail. it's been this way my entire life.

after some reflecting about it, i've realized i've never "grabbed the day by the horns". this has most definitely inspired me to make some changes in my life as i'm staring 30 in the face.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. The Voyeur’s Motel
    I know a married man and father of two who bought a twenty-one-room motel near Denver many years ago in order to become its resident voyeur. With the assistance of his wife, he cut rectangular holes measuring six by fourteen inches in the ceilings of more than a dozen rooms. Then he covered the openings with louvred aluminum screens that looked like ventilation grilles but were actually observation vents that allowed him, while he knelt in the attic, to see his guests in the rooms below. He watched them for decades, while keeping an exhaustive written record of what he saw and heard. Never once, during all those years, was he caught.