Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stone Temple Pilots Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bd007h, Oct 26, 2016.

1. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Still searching for a new vocalist following the death of Scott Weiland and the departure of Chester Bennington, but as of last month rumors are Fillipino musician John Borja is currently the frontrunner.

2. cherrywaves

Trusted

Good lord guys let sleeping dogs lie.

"Interstate Love Song" is an all timer

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I'm inclined to agree that the remaining guys should try doing another project at this point, but ultimately it's their band and if they really want to keep it going I'll be at least somewhat interested to see what comes of it.

bd007h likes this.
  4. DesolateEarth

Birb

Purple is my all time favorite STP album and one of my favorite albums period. They never have and never will top it in my book. There isn't a single bad song on that record.

I will say that if there was one deep track I would have liked to have been a single, "Still Remains" would have been it. That song is the best non-single on the record and is underrated as fuck because of it.

angrycandy likes this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I agree with all of this

6. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I know I'm in the minority here but Tiny Music is my favourite STP album.

Ken and goation like this.
  7. DesolateEarth

Birb

Tiny Music is a really good album, and an underrated gem for sure, I just enjoy the first two a bit more.

8. goation

Regular

i feel so passionately about stp and scott's voice is just so much a part of their sound it's hard to hear someone else doing it. Dean and Robert are obviously talented writers though and I understand that they want to write more but it just doesn't feel right. I hate to be the person who says "go under a new name" but maybe they should.

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. angrycandy

pretty penny was her name

10. goation

Regular

My friend and I are both massive STP fans and we played an instrumental cover of "7 Caged Tigers" at a little event a few weeks ago and it sounded really pretty and made me miss Scott a lot. Great way to close one of my favorite albums of all time.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That would be my second favorite...behind Purple, which is one of my all-time favorite albums ever.

12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, even as someone who grew up with Linkin Park it felt REALLY weird when Chester Bennington was in STP for a while... I honestly think they should change the band name if they're going to go with some little-known singer, but I can see why they won't do so.

13. angrycandy

every time I listen to Unglued I think "this would have been huge, if they'd only released it as a single."

such a great song

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Didn't they play Unglued on Letterman?

15. angrycandy

I had a quick look at their Wikipedia and apparently Pretty Penny and Unglued were both released as "promotional singles". huh.

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

angrycandy likes this.
  17. angrycandy

damn

quite the performance

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I wish I could have seen STP play live in their prime in the 93-97 era...I've seen them live three times, but two of the three times were after 2010 and Scott was so far gone it was insane. I did see them headline Family Values Tour in 2001 (with Staind and Linkin Park opening) and that was a great show. But they were promoting the Shangri La album, which was terrible.

19. DesolateEarth

Birb

Purple>Core>Tiny Music>>>>>>>Shangri>STP>No.4

This may be a bit controversial so lemme explain. on both Shangri La and the self titled, they were overall not very good but they at least had a handful of songs that I can go back and still listen to. No.4 I could not get into to save my life. The only song off of that one that I still come back to is "Sour Girl".

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I actually thought their comeback album (ST) was pretty good. Shangri is hands down their worst. No. 4 wasn't great, but 'Atlanta' is one of my all-time favorite songs by any band.

You want controversy? I'm not a big Core guy.

My rankings would look like:

Purple
    Tiny Music
    Self-Titled
    No. 4
    Core
    Shangri-La

Anyone listen to Scott's solo albums? Both are pretty great, especially for those who have the deluxe double album for Happy in Galoshes.

21. ugman_2000 Mar 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2017)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Have you tried going back to No.4 recently. That album didn't really click with me when I got into STP but I went back to it recently and now I like it a lot more than I used to (still not enough to bump it up my list).

Personally I think they were 5/5 until the reunion album.

Here's my order:

Tiny Music
    Core
    Purple
    Shangri-La (I think this albums really underrated btw)
    No.4

S/T

goation likes this.
  22. goation

Regular

Shrangri-La has some of their best examples of pop craftsmanship. "Days of The Week", "Hollywood Bitch", and "Hello It's Late" are all top notch STP songs. I like the psychedelic underbite on some songs too, especially "Too Cool Queenie".

ugman_2000 likes this.
  23. goation

Regular

and No. 4 is just a great album don't even need to defend that one. "Atlanta" is one of the best closers of all time.

ncarrab and ugman_2000 like this.
  24. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Had "Days in the Week" stuck in my head today. So damn infectious.

goation and ugman_2000 like this.
  25. DesolateEarth

Birb

Bumped because they are up to something. They posted a couple videos to Facebook a few hours ago showcasing what looks like a bunch of rejected band names from when they first started? Please let this be a Core 25th anniversary thing.

beachdude42 likes this.