Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 55

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I can see that, I’ve been reading him since I was a kid but even now I haven’t finished everything. The long ones are tough, but IT is awesome and has a great classic King tone

zachmacD likes this.
  2. The Shining, Misery, and Bag of Bones were my first three King books, and I usually recommend one of those as a starting point. They’re all great standalone stories of manageable length and pretty representative of his style.

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Is Mr. Mercedes a good start?

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

i started it last night and enjoy it so far. It’s less horror and more detective story.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Watched Doctor Sleep today. Good adaptation of one of his weaker books

6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It's 100% detective story. Just wondered if that was at all a good starting point for his stuff?

7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I haven’t read much of his, but I would say no. He has some detective, but a majority is horror.

8. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Wouldn’t call it top tier King but they’re good books, the second one was my personal favorite of the bunch.

9. Night Channels

Trusted

No, don’t start with this one. There are lots of hidden gems from other stories that you’ll miss.

Start with Salem’s Lot. Then you should read It.

10. GBlades

Trusted

I have actually read IT and the first book of Dark Tower but that's it. Think I'll start shorter and get there.

11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Found a solid hardcover copy of the Talisman at a used bookstore so I’ll probably read that as my next King novel!

12. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Finished Mr. Mercedes. I loved it. Holly’s character progression was amazing.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I do love that one a lot! Finders Keepers is solid too, however, I didn’t fully LOVE End of Watch.

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Finished the Talisman and now onto Black House! I’m about 60-70 pages in and the writing in present tense is taking some getting used to.

I also hope the first 60-70 pages of jumping around to random characters isn’t the entire novel and that we get more focused with Hollywood!

Deanna likes this.
  15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm currently reading The Regulators and read Desperation before it. Quite interesting how the "twin" novel thing is playing out. Thankfully after The Regulators I have a 4-week break of movies/TV stuff for the podcast so I can catch my breath and then read DT IV.

Ryan Gardner and Vivatoto like this.
  16. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Making my way through The Outsider before I watch the show

17. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I tried to read Black House when I was a bit too young and I also hadn't read the Talisman and those first 70 or so pages really turned me off. It eventually became a favorite of mine, but yeah that first section can be pretty brutal, the rest of the book is NOT like that.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for the input! Now that we started focusing in on Jack it has become easier to follow but those first 70 pages were rough lol. I was just like .... do I put this down?

But I know there’s a lot of people who love it especially Dark Tower fans (which I fucking love) so I’m excited to keep going!

(will have plenty of time to read during the quarantine)

19. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I would argue it's one of, if not the most important DT book. There's a specific about the villain that I found fascinating and has never left my mind, will keep my mouth shut about that though.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Who's rereading The Stand? I read the unabridged version the first time. Y'all got time might as well add only 400 extra pages loll

21. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I've only ever read the unabridged, it's easily in my top 5 favourite King. think I could do without the anxiety attacks it would give me at the current moment tho lmao

BirdPerson likes this.
  22. zachmacD

Trusted

I’ve only listed to two of his books on audible but I started with IT and then Pet Sematary. IT was incredible but Pet Sematary left something to be desired and ended abruptly

23. Night Channels

Trusted

Man, Pet Sematary is great

24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finished up The Regulators today. Didn't like it quite as much as Desperation, but it was still pretty interesting.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  25. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

About 330 pages into Black House ... loving it.

Vivatoto likes this.