Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 51

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Finished The Shining for the second time. Now I am six or so hours into Doctor Sleep which is about where I left off when I started reading the book years ago. Been having to travel back to Kansas City a lot for family stuff so I have been able to plow through it in just a few days.

BackyardHero11 and Deanna like this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Reviewed The Institute in my newsletter today. I do summarize the synopsis and some other bits of the book, so if you want to go into this knowing nothing, definitely skip reading this.

Stephen King's 'The Institute'

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I don't wanna really know much about it plot wise beyond the basic synopsis, however, what did you think of it? I'm going to be picking it up after work although probably won't get around to reading it until later this month.

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoyed it. Gave it a 4/5 on Goodreads. If you like his stories that revolve around kids, this is another one of those. It's definitely familiar territory and not something insanely original, but I still found a lot to like about it.

BackyardHero11 and Donnie Ruth like this.
  5. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Nice. Picking it up after work today, hopefully it’s better than The Outsider

6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I actually haven't read that one yet! I only hopped on this one because the publisher sent it to me. There are a handful of his books that I don't own still. It's mostly recent stuff though.

7. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Probably one of the only books of his I’d recommend skipping. Starts really strong, then takes a strong left turn into boring.

Deanna likes this.
  8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Can't wait to read The Institute … he nails his stories revolving around kids! As for the Outsider, yeah I think the first half had me hooked like no other book in recent memory, but then the 2nd half got to be slightly boring.

Deanna likes this.
  9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm in for the long haul with King books/adaptations for my podcast, but based on what I keep hearing about The Outsider, I'm not in any rush to jump ahead and read it. My next book to tackle is The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands and then Needful Things after that.

BackyardHero11 and Donnie Ruth like this.
  10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Oh hell yeah, absolutely love the Dark Tower series. The Waste Lands is great and I have a feeling you'll be wanting to jump right into The Wizard and Glass right after!

Needful Things is on my bookshelf and waiting for me to dive in, I've heard great things!

Deanna likes this.
  11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I've heard The Waste Lands is where the Dark Tower series starts getting really good. I'm running through everything chronologically, so waiting between each book in the series has been a bit tough haha.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  12. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I feel like I remember enjoying The Outsider? but I only remember bits and pieces right now. IT broke my brain haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Pennywise has that effect on people.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  14. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Deanna likes this.
  15. dlemert

Trusted

The Outsider is 2/3 of an EXCELLENT book. The last bit is still entertaining but does drag a little.

16. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Outsider is excellent all the way through

Donnie Ruth, Deanna and Colby Searcy like this.
  17. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

The Outsider is the only solely written by Stephen King book that I've read and I enjoyed it quite a bit

Donnie Ruth, Vivatoto and Deanna like this.
  18. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Waste lands is one of his best. Needful things is one of his short story collections, right? Those are always a good read

19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Awww man my local Target didn’t have it. It wasn’t even like “out of stock” it just wasn’t there although the website said they had it.

I went here cause it was $18 hardcover and I have a gift card. Damn! I’ll try tomorrow.

20. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I can honestly say that The Outsider is mid to low tier King.

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

It's a novel! First one he wrote after rehab apparently. So that should be interesting.

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Ah bummer! Hopefully someone just forgot to put it out or something. They usually have his books.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Needful Things was my first King novel and is still one of my favorites

Deanna likes this.
  24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

image_from_ios.jpg

25. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I don’t know if I remember that one. Shit. I have several copies of it, too. Doesn’t sound that familiar from the Wikipedia page.

Deanna likes this.