Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

That's typical King, especially when dealing with larger/more complex plots. I always feel like his books are mostly about the journey. IT, the Stand, the Dark Tower series, they all seem to have pretty subdued climaxes but the journey there is incredible.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  2. Syre Dream

Regular

What's everyones favorite authors other than King? I've been heavily reading/listening to King but am looking for other authors to get into. This year other than King stuff I've read Bearskin and The Word is Murder.

3. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Cormac McCarthy (The Road and Blood Meridian) is amazing

Right now I'm listening to Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son), has a lot of the same vibes as SK.

4. Syre Dream

Regular

Thank you :)

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I read Blood Meridian about a year ago and I was sorta lukewarm on it. That said - I do wanna finally see a movie adaptation.

6. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I liked it alot, but I sincerely don't see how that would ever make a good movie. It's dense and weird and too allegorical.

The Road was adapted and I absolutely love that movie though

7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Haruki Murakami
    Roberto Bolano
    Dawn Powell
    Robert Jordan

Syre Dream likes this.
  8. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

just can't get into blood meridian at all

9. chewbacca110

Cracked Needful Things for the first time tonight.

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. Night Channels

Trusted

This is my favorite paragraph ever written:

Now the son whose father's existence in this world is historical and speculative even before the son has entered it in a bad way. All his life he carries before him the idol of a perfection to which he can never attain. The father dead has euchred his son of his patrimony. For it is the death of the father to which the son is entitled and to which he is heir, more than his goods. He will not hear of the small mean ways that tempered the man in life. He will not see him struggling in follies of his own devising. No. The world which he inherits bears him false witness. He is broken before a frozen god and he will never find his way.

11. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

It can be a bit tough to digest, but I don't think there's another living author whose prose even compares.

Also, The Judge is one of the greatest characters in fiction. Just chilling.

12. chewbacca110

Welp, my library copy of Needful Things is straight up missing 30 pages. It appears to be a manufacturing error as there are no tears or anything.

I'm missing the second half of Chapter 11 when Alan goes to the autopsy of Wilma and Nettie and it picks back up at the beginning of Chapter 12 when Ace shows back up in Castle Rock. I cautiously looked at the Wiki page and it doesn't appear I missed too much.

13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Especially the Dark Tower. Say what you want about THE ending, but I was expecting there to be a huge, epic ending battle leading up to final pages and conclusion. Rather lukewarm.

Same with the Stand. When “it” happened I was kinda just like “oh...that’s it?”

Either way: the journey is what it’s all about!

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Some of my choices have been mentioned (Murakami, Joe Hill, McCarthey) but if you're looking for some others still.....There's a lot of Brandon Sanderson fans around here (including myself) and I really like Don Winslow (especially his Power of the Dog series), but if you're a King fan you may also want to check out Dan Simmons and Robert McCammon.

Syre Dream likes this.
  15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Didn't enjoy Christine quite as much as I was hoping, but I'm excited to dive into Pet Sematary soon.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  16. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Anyone know when The Outsider limited series will likely premier?

17. chewbacca110

For my money, Pet Sematary is King's best book. Truly gripping and moving on every page.

I finished Needful Things a few days ago and watched the movie. The book was pretty great and it was a neat construct to completely unleash chaos on a tiny town where everyone knows everyone. Movie was not completely terrible but mostly served the book. Biggest gripe is that made Leland Gaunt too much of a main character, he is way more cryptic in the book in a minimal role.

Deanna likes this.
  18. simonthebutler

Regular

I just finished season one of Mr Mercedes and absolutely loved it. I have never read the book so didn’t know any of the story.

19. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I adored the first book, second one was pretty good, third one rubbed me wrong for some reason. I keep trying to find a DVD of Mr. Mercedes when I go shopping but haven't found one yet.

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I haven't seen the movies, so I'm glad I'll be reading it before the remake.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I just picked it up from Amazon! I think it’s there if you can’t find it!

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  22. chewbacca110

23. Night Channels

Trusted

24. kbeef2 Jan 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2019)
    kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Donnie Ruth and Fletchaaa like this.
  25. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

That director is a major King fan so at least there's that.

Night Channels likes this.