Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 40

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Read Cycle of the Werewolf yesterday. Really enjoyed the illustrations that went along with it and liked the story.

Recording some more episodes of the podcast this week, but still have a lot of blanks to fill in. If anyone here is interested in being a guest on it, let me know!

2. Night Channels

Trusted

Sometimes dead is better.

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

chewbacca110 and BackyardHero11 like this.
  4. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I'm starting the audible of this probably Monday.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've never seen or read Pet Sematary. Need to get around to it

6. BackyardHero11

Trusted

chewbacca110 likes this.
  7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Out of the 12 King books I have read, Pet Semetary is still my favorite. So haunting and heartbreaking.

That PS trailer has me so pumped.

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

I started Full Dark, No Stars on audiobook. excited to get through "1922" and watch the movie

9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Comics is my main hobby, but I want to read more book books. Help me pick a King book. I’ve read Dark Tower 1-6 and that is it by him. I don’t have much free time and read slow, so I want to make sure I pick something I’ll for sure enjoy while also getting engrossed in a big story. I like stories that are epic, have alternate universes, magic, and stuff like that. The Dark Tower was perfect. From what I’ve heard, 11/22/63 has elements I like, but I know shit about history. I hear It has some stuff about a turtle...? And The Stand is a battle against good vs evil, but it hear the cast of characters is huge and overwhelming. I want a big story, but also a cast of main characters. I know these are specific parameters, but whatever.

10. Try The Eyes of the Dragon. It’s his most classic fantasy book and very connected to The Dark Tower. Also not super long. Other than that, Revival might be a good choice.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  11. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Under The Dome is pretty good until the ending. Most of King's ending aren't great.

Also check out Joyland, short and not exactly within your parameters but beautifully written and one of my favorite King books

xapplexpiex likes this.
  12. ChaseTx

imo the long books with a lot of characters are his best ones. Needful Things, Under The Dome, The Stand.

Other than those I really enjoyed
    - 11/22/63 (you don't need to know the history, it spells everything out for you, and it's primarily a story about fictional characters and the past "fighting back" against their attempts to change it)
    - Bag of Bones (a bit long but one of his best I've read)
    - The Shining
    - Salem's Lot
    - The Talisman

xapplexpiex likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Based on what you said, I think The Talisman might be a perfect place to start. Parallel worlds, magic, an epic journey

@xapplexpiex read The Talisman

Vivatoto and xapplexpiex like this.
  14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Sweet.
    I’ll check it out.

ChaseTx likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

So my immediate thought is also The Talisman, and Talisman has a sequel called Black House that's one of my favorites that has some very strong connections to the Dark Tower. And there's suppose to be a 3rd book in the series eventually, fingers crossed. The only issue with that is, not everyone likes Peter Straub's writing, he's very dry and it takes a lot of getting use to, but I've become a big fan and eventually read through most of his work.

I think 11/22 would also be perfect, don't worry about the history aspects of it. It's a love story.

The number one thing that makes stephen king so fucking good is his characters, so no matter what you go with you're always going to be treated in that department.

The Turtle thing you speak of is part of like my favorite climatic battle of all time. It's perfect cosmic insanity.

I don't think The Stand would overwhelm you, it does focus on certain characters that are some of his best. It just shows a lot of the world. It all depends on how much time you want to put in.

a few others that I think you might love given the parameters are Lisey's Story and Duma Key.

Also you should check out Joe Hill, his son, who you might remember as the writer of Locke and Key. The Fireman and N0S4A2 are both perfect.

ChaseTx and xapplexpiex like this.
  16. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ve narrowed it down to The Stand, It, and The Talisman. And yeah, Lock & Key is fantastic.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

You can't go wrong with any of them.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  18. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Pre-ordered Elevation. First time I've ever pre-ordered anything on Amazon, haha

Deanna and Vivatoto like this.
  19. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

IT is my favourite book. Let us know what you think

20. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I never found the amount of characters in the Stand overwhelming because you spend a lot of time with each, it’s not like a million all at once and you’re screwed.

I’m horrible with remember names/characters but didn’t have an issue!

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. Vivatoto

Loved Elevation. Very sweet little story. Sort of like Joyland but without a whiff of horror. Be prepared to cry.

22. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Very exciting to hear - absolutely adore Joyland. Mine arrives today.

Vivatoto likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

24. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thank you! My friend does really awesome work. Super happy with how it turned out.

chewbacca110 likes this.