Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 39

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, more detective style outings. The intent of Colorado Kid and Joyland was to pay tribute to classic noir paperbacks.

I fucking Loved it. Thought it was perfect.

BackyardHero11 and Colby Searcy like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I wouldn't necessarily consider any of the ones I listed as horror. The Outsider more than the others but not really

3. Colby Searcy Aug 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 21, 2018)
    Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My wife actually convinced me to read it and I quite enjoyed it. I loved the fact that it changed styles and there were definitely about 3 distinct "parts"/styles

Vivatoto likes this.
  4. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

I gotcha, what VIvato mentioned, and some of his short stories would be up that alley.

5. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Almost done with The Stand. Then I'm going to either read The Outsider or The Dark Tower series. I've only gotten into reading Stephen King more recently but interesting how Flagg is in multiple books.

I've only read Eyes of the Dragon, Salems Lot, Bill Hodges trilogy, Gwendys Button Box, Revival, and Sleeping Beauties so far I think

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I was very excited and felt Pierce Brosnan was a good fit but I agree. Just wasn't very good.

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Recorded the first episode of Chat Sematary this morning! It'll still be a while before it drops since I want to give people time to read as needed. I'm shooting for November/December to launch though.

8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

How do we feel about Elevation's plot?

Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face–including his own—he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

From Stephen King, our “most precious renewable resource, like Shakespeare in the malleability of his work” (The Guardian), Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, as gloriously joyful (with a twinge of deep sadness) as “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

9. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Can't really think of anything Stephen King has written that is remotely the same as what this is going to be. I'm in.

Donnie Ruth and chewbacca110 like this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

King has been getting more and more political in this climate so I am excited to read how he tackles a divisive culture.

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Definitely agree. Its less than 200 pages so it will be a short, quick read but I think will be a nice change of pace. Also, a nice little surprise to cap off the year since we already got The Outsider this year and Sleeping Beauties last year.

12. BackyardHero11

Trusted

13. Vivatoto

Manx was super old in my head. Love that casting though.

Night Channels likes this.
  14. jdr2187

jdr2187

Same for me.

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've got a four hour drive tomorrow and back again on Monday so I checked out Bazaar of Bad Dreams on cd. I figured short stories are a good way to see if audiobooks are feasible for me

Vivatoto likes this.
  16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

just started The Outsider. good start to the work week and October. Got Pet Sematary lined up next I think.

Vivatoto and Gnarly Charlie like this.
  17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I have 4 stories left in Bazaar of Bad Dreams. So far the second half has been kinda weak, though maybe I'm also just getting worn out on the format. I really liked most of the first half. Hopefully the last few are good

18. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Flight or Fright (edited by King and Bev Vincent). Joe Hill and King both have stories in it. Hill's was good, haven't read King's just yet since it's the last one or close to it.

Also, podcast update: I've started recording episodes and will be working on the artwork with a friend this month. Hoping to drop the trailer on Halloween.

19. Vivatoto

I was wondering about that...I usually don't pick up collections like that since King and Hill tend to release their stories in their own collections anyway.

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I saw it at the library so I figured it wouldn't hurt to pick it up. Hoping to have it finished tonight.

Vivatoto likes this.
  21. BackyardHero11

Trusted

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

chewbacca110 and Night Channels like this.
  23. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I definitely didn't think we needed like an hour of wrap up at the end, and as for the beginning I thought it was a good detective story, I was interested, but then once one thing happened I was like, yes, here we go. i listened to it on audible.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  24. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

Looks great. The first one was a good horror movie but a bad adaptation so I hope that's fixed.

Night Channels likes this.