Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 28

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm reading Firestarter now, but I think I may just end up going out of order and reading Doctor Sleep and some of the other books with recent adaptations.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Fuck yeah Flanagan is the best

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I remember not caring too much for Doctor Sleep, except for Danny's alcoholism he inherited from Jack. Still will watch the movie.

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah out of the last like 14ish King books I’ve read in the last year, Doctor Sleep was the only one I was meh about. Still will watch lol

5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Started Revivle on audiobook.

wakaflockajamez and Vivatoto like this.
  6. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Finally getting around to Sleeping Beauties, pretty cool but damn. Anything with a list of characters that long at the beginning of the book is intimidating. 100 pages in and still getting used to who is who!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

Excited to see who is going to play Rose, such an incredible character

8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I’ve decided it’s finally time. Gonna begin The Stand!

thedrudo, bachna84 and Night Channels like this.
  9. HalfHearted Jan 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 28, 2018)
    HalfHearted

Regular

Finally finished 11/22/63, took almost 2 months.

As much as I love King, am I the only one that thinks that some of his books are too long and don't need to be? 11/22/63 being one of them, also It. I feel like they could have been cut down by about 200-300 pages.

10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I def feel It could have been shortened by 300-400 pages.

HalfHearted likes this.
  11. Vivatoto

I love that he writes long book. One of my favorite aspects of his bibliography.

TJ Wells likes this.
  12. HalfHearted

Regular

I don't think I necessarily hate it, I'm always upset when I actually finish one of his books, it just seems like sometimes there is a lot of filler that doesn't need to be there, if that makes sense?

13. Vivatoto

I generally consider that stuff in service of character development and world building which I think he excels at.

TJ Wells likes this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Okay so I have a free audiobook and I’m trying to decide between a few King books I haven’t read. Different Seasons, Salem’s Lot, The Long Walk, or Dreamcatcher. Thoughts?

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Salem’s Lot, 100%. Far and away my favorite King book of all time.

Vivatoto and TJ Wells like this.
  16. Dave Diddy

Thanks for the input, and I 100% am going to read/listen to Salem's Lot at some point. But on a curve ball I decided to snag The Green Mile. I've actually never read/watched the movie and the guy who reads The Green Mile is the same one that read most of The Dark Tower series and he's my favorite narrator. Plus my free offer was about to expire and no one had responded haha.

17. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Is the Dreamcatcher book better than the movie? I haven't seen the movie in years, but I remember it being really rough, especially considering the cast they had

18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I got 300 pages into Dreamcatcher and put it back on the shelf. Only King book thus far I’ve done that for.

Likewise, I’m 350 pages into The Stand!

19. Dave Diddy

I think @Vivatoto loves Dreamcatcher which is why I was considering it, but otherwise I've heard quite a bit of negative thoughts on it.

20. personalmaps

totally cool, totally understandable! I've actually never read the Green Mile, but I've watched the movie a couple of times! Let me know what you think!

21. personalmaps

unrelated and thus the double post:

somehow, someday, I am GOING! to finish reading It. I made a lot of progress when I first picked it up, stalled out because of work, and just haven't been able to find the time. It's just...so long.

22. Vivatoto

Those are 4 favorites, you can't go wrong. Salem's Lot is also a good choice because it's so early in his career and still so goddamn good. You definitely need to read the Long Walk at some point. I'm never sure about recommending Dreamcatcher, it's my favorite, but other people have lame opinions on it, so I don't know. Since you've read IT you'd probably enjoy the way that it's tied to IT and a spiritual sequel in some ways.

(I do think you would like Dreamcatcher though)

Green Mile is a great choice though. Besides Dreamcatcher it would be my favorite from the options you mentioned, and easier to rec

Night Channels likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

Elevation Oct 30th

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face – including his own -- he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

From Stephen King, our “most precious renewable resource, like Shakespeare in the malleability of his work” (The Guardian), Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, as gloriously joyful (with a twinge of deep sadness) as “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

StephenKing.com - Elevation Novella

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  24. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a similar vibe to Joyland which I am all for.

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Finally finished Sleeping Beauties. Not the best King but solid. I love the imagery but the first 300 or so pages drag. So many different characters that it took a good bit of time to realize who was who (and honestly I don’t think I remembered all of them when they were mentioned later).