Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 24

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Gerald's Game was excellent. Every bit as brutal as the book. I'm pretty sure that the Dolores Claiborne reference was also sort of in there too right? The well thing? If so, bravo.. Can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Carla, she was stunning. It's also an 1 hour 43 minutes which seems long for the premise but works because Flanagan's the best.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  2. BackyardHero11

Trusted

oh wow, awesome that sounds rad. I definitely plan on diving into Dark Tower so I'd love to know what other's after Salem's Lot I should read! Thanks!

3. BackyardHero11

Trusted

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Picked up Sleeping Beauties from the library today and didn't realize it was gonna be this daunting.

700 pages! 2 1/2 pages of just characters names. Let's see if I can get through this.

This will be my first full length SK novel

6. Vivatoto

I'm about halfway through, loving it, but it definitely seems to me like Owen has the reigns for most of it. There's classic King all over it, but it's far from the best representation of his other work. I'll be super curious to hear your thoughts, keep us updated!

Ryan Gardner and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. Vivatoto Oct 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2017)
    Vivatoto

I'd read Eyes of the Dragon before Gunslinger, fun and short. The real question is whether or not you want to read The Stand before you read the Gunslinger. You have to read it before book 4 but there are benefits to reading it before the Gunslinger, the most important one being a huge understanding of Flagg. Really though, you can read 1-3 now if you want, the big connections start later.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  8. HalfHearted

Regular

After book 3 what order would you suggest going in with his other books?

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Gerald's Game was gnarly. I loved the book and the film was fantastically done.

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Well The Stand is a must before book 4 and Salem's Lot is a must before book 5. Also go back and read Eyes of the Dragon if you haven't yet. There's going to be a lot of reading between Book's 4 and 5. Pick up the collection Everything's Eventual for the short stories titled Little Sisters of Eluria (more of Roland's past, funny enough this is where I'm at in the comics, the first return to adapting since the first arc of Wizard and Glass) and the title story Everything's Eventual. Then you'll want to read Hearts in Atlantis. You'll need to read Insomnia eventually, you can now, but it's a big commitment, you're decision, but definitely before book 6.

Also, I believe Black House to be the single most important non-series story (not everyone agrees). That will be your penultimate book, after you read 6 and before you read the final Dark Tower book. The thing about that one is is that it's a sequel to the Talisman so you'll have to read that too. You can read that at anytime. It has slight references to the world but it's not nearly as important as Black House. It's also fucking great. Be warned though it's obvious these King/Straub books are suppose to be a trilogy and there's no sign of a third one so that's brutal.

11. Colby Searcy

I never realized his other works tied into The Dark Tower so much

12. Vivatoto

I'd say about 75% of his books tie into it in one way or another, but it's usually referencing small things like the Beam or the Territories or something. Even things like IT and The Shining (the ability known as The Shining is super important) are related. King's actually said that in some way or another everything in his career has been about the Dark Tower. The need to read books are more important than references though. Lots of behind the scenes stuff going on.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. HalfHearted

Regular

This is fantastic, I appreciate you.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

15. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

just realized I have a first edition copy of Carrie

might have to sell it

16. Vivatoto

More thoughts later but I just finished Sleeping Beauties and loved it. Not as much as his other recent work (Revival, Dr Sleep) but still great.

17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Well, you read quickly haha.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

I was going to go crazy if I let another new comic day get in the way of reading, haha.

Colby Searcy and Deanna like this.
  19. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm still trying to figure out when I'll start The Stand. I have a couple review books coming out in November that I'll likely try to get through first.

20. Colby Searcy

I read like 35 pages and I'm overwhelmed

21. BackyardHero11

Trusted

watching Children of the Corn while I work and reading Salem's Lot on my breaks, not a terrible Thursday haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I just spent WEEKS trying to track down a copy of Pet Sematary, it must be between printings or something. No Barnes and Noble in the area had it, checked a couple local stores, nothing, Amazon only had this terrbile pop art mass market cover for like $12. My boyfriend is picky and hates reading on my Kindle, so that wasn't an option. I finally found a weird British edition on the floor of a local used book shop and almost did a touch down with it, I was so excited. I haven't read it before and I know it's the one that he says scared him, so I'm really stoked to get into it. I'm about halfway through It though, so I think I'll have to finish that first, excitement aside.

23. Colby Searcy

Did libraries not have it either?

24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

EVERYTHING Stephen King is checked out right now at my library. I think combo October + IT just coming out means everyone is trying to get on the train.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I would recommend checking out Thriftbooks if you ever need to buy some of his books. They have tons of options and offer free shipping on all $10+ orders.

Also, do any of your local libraries have any little bookstores inside? I found a brand new hardcover copy of Bazaar of Bad Dreams for $1 that way. They typically will sell donated books or ones they take out of circulation.

kaylasananjou and BackyardHero11 like this.