Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. 182 Jack Mannequins

It's a decent collection of short stories, but his prior collection 'Just After Sunset' is much better overall in my opinion. The last story in that collection, 'A Very Tight Place,' is arguably my favorite short story of all time.

2. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The Bachman Books collection is really good. Especially loved The Long Walk -- insanely entertaining read.

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, IT is definitely the way to go. My favorite story of all time, in any medium. I'm thinking about reading it again this year, depends on how I'm feeling about my other reading come June. I'm also a huge supporter of the Dead Zone, book is really powerful and gives you a different side of early King. Plus you get a goddamned David Cronenberg adaptation that's incredible. You'll need to read Pet Semetary sometime soon though too. Needful Things is my favorite of his small town books, it has another title as The Last Castle Rock Story, so I would recommend reading all the other Castle Rock books first. Certainly no need for it, but man is it effective. Insomnia is a tough read. It's really good and it relates to the Dark Tower in a lot of ways, but it's not going to be the first book I rec to someone.

I think you'd love Black House too. Of course with that one you have to read The Talisman first, but that one is really good too.

4. Vivatoto

Very good.

5. Vivatoto

I'm not sure if I've told you yet (you probably noticed on my list) but the final book is by far my favorite. I can't tell you why.

6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

My mom has a collection of Stephen King books and I've been buying his newer books. Really need to dive into them since I've only read a handful.

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I wasn't sure my excitement for book 7 could get any higher, then you go and do something like this

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Thanks for all the input! Very excited to dust off the King collection again.

Vivatoto likes this.
  9. HollywoodAblaze

@maxwell_parker

Almost halfway done with Desperation. Anyone else read this? Feel like it's never mentioned. Enjoying it so far. Creepy at times. Ridiculous at others.

10. Vivatoto

Yeah both Desperation and Regulators are great. The mine setting is really effective. And that policeman is scary as fuck

11. Vivatoto

Good news is the 11/22/63 adaptation was really good.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoy his books, but the funny thing is, I've only read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Cell, The Green Mile, and The Shining. So I definitely have a lot of work to do.

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I loved Desperation

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

So the only Stephen King books I've read are the Dark Tower series. Loved them, but I feel like they're much different from the rest of his stuff. I'm not a big fan of horror, so any suggestions on what my next step into the Stephen King library should be?

15. Vivatoto

Dead Zone, Green Mile, Different Seasons (where you will find Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me), Mr Mercedez, Dolores Clairborne, Firestarter, 11/22/63, and The Long Walk.

16. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I would also recommend Hearts In Atlantis. I had an obsession with that book for a while.

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Thanks for the recs!

I'll add Hearts in Atlantis to the list too. So many books such little free time.

18. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Going to read The Colorado Kid this weekend just for a quick read.

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I'd also add The Stand and Under The Dome to the list of King suggestions. The Stand is one of my all time favorites. Like the dark tower it has a little bit of horror elements to it but it's mainly just an amazing post apocalyptic epic journey.

omgrawr and Vivatoto like this.
  20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

21. Vivatoto

Super rare occasion of the movie being better than the original work. It's a good novella but Darabont really brought it to life. It also has one of the best endings ever which was not in the novella.

I really wish we'd get another Darabont adaptation. Last I heard he owned the rights to The Long Walk.

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'll have to check the movie out then. I'm not familiar with his work.

23. Vivatoto

He did Shawsank and Green Mile.

24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Two movies I sadly haven't watched haha. I'm really bad about watching movies. I've read Green Mile though and I believe we have the movie so I should watch that soon.

25. Vivatoto

I'm envious, you've got three great movies ahead of you, haha. Probably the best King adaptations, not counting the Shining since I feel like if the director changed enough to piss off the author it shouldn't really be compared along with other adaptations. Darabont just gets King.