Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

State Champs - Living Proof (June 15, 2018) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TDenverFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Yeah, Mine Is Gold is for sure the worst they've done. I feel like their poppy sensibilities are fitting in better on some of the other songs I've heard.

If alt radio doesn't pick up 'Criminal' then I'll be so dissapointed, that's such a bop

2. Blink182Bouncer Jun 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2018)
    Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

So the full album is out there

Time Machine is great, even though it's so similar to San Diego off the last blink album. It actually creates the dark solemn tone I know they wanted to create with "Our Time To Go"

State Champs fans may eventually get tired of the simplified songwriting/production, but I can't imagine a casual pop-punk fan hating this.

Lot's of Alex Gaskarth style melodies here. And the Mark Hoppus feature is cool, but god, he voice sounds so tired

3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Me want

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Dang. This and new Mayday Parade? Just in time for my long run this morning.

FTank likes this.
  5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Almost expecting to like this more than Mayday at this point, which feels weird. Will check out both later

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This will be a good summer album. Its way more poppy than I was expecting, but I like it. Theres a lot of diversity on this album.

Not sure how much I dig the guitar production though.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s all good to hear

8. I like this more than new Mayday

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

What do you think of the Mayday record? I liked the first single but haven’t been into the others.

10. This is the perfect summer album. Glad they put it out when they did. AOTY?

11. It’s fine - a step down from the last one but in the middle tier of their discography

12. I think "Lightning" might be one of the ones they did with Alex Gaskarth. That verse is sooooo All Time Low.

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

You guys are hyping me up with Gaskarth/ATL comparisons

lindsaylove081 likes this.
  14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Big fan of "Criminal" and "Our Time to Go" so far, but still listening. You can hear the bands progression very well in those songs.

15. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Those verses remind me more of Overslept EP-era Champs, and I love it so much.

16. Lightning is one of my favorite songs on the album

ryanfears likes this.
  17. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Our Time To Go reminds me of the last 5SOS album's ballads, which if that's your thing, great, it's a good song, but it seems like it's trying too hard to me

18. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I haven't listened to that...so not going to doubt the comparison, but I did like it quite a bit.

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, this and new Mayday Parade are polar opposites. Living Proof is for fun summer days and Sunnyland is for the chill summer nights. Both solid releases.

Also, Frozen is an early favorite for me. It reminds me of stuff off the album Gospel by Fireworks.

20. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

“Safe Haven” is awesome. Great chorus

21. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Just started my first listen... "Criminal" is great, but the chorus of "Frozen" is kinda disappointing compared to the verses, which are a blast.

earthlight likes this.
  22. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Agreed

23. TDenverFan

Regular

Ok, this album is fantastic. Surpassed my expectations by a mile

24. My full review:

Honestly, going into this album I had pretty high expectations. I've loved everything this band has done and thought the singles were awesome. I was met with probably the best pop-punk album I've heard in recent memory. Champs finally found the perfect balance between the sound of the two albums, and at the same time they continued to expand their sound. "Frozen" has a modern alt-rock vibe, and "Time Machine" is probably the darkest song they've written. They also nailed the whole power ballad thing with "Our Time to Go". Not to mention, the other songs are mostly pop-punk bangers. "Safe Haven" and "Lightning" are probably two of the catchiest State Champs songs. Overall, all 13 tracks are insanely catchy and I would go off to any of them live.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  25. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

'Something About You' gives me total 'Prepare To Be Noticed' vibes, and I'm shocked no one has mentioned that yet

ryanfears likes this.