Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

State Champs - Living Proof (June 15, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TDenverFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Slow Burn sounded a little like All Time Low too, but it was way better written than this and seemed like it was more "influenced" than a rip off (it may have been co-written by Alex I think). This seems an All Time Low B Side from ATL's middle period.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Slow Burn sounded like a Don’t Panic era ATL song

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah this is pretty boring

4. I’m way in the minority on loving this track.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  5. Also, songwriting credits on Apple Music say that the song was written by Mark Hoppus, John Feldmann and the whole band except Tony.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah Mark apparently helped write two songs on the record.

7. btr

Trusted Supporter

I mean if they kept with the TSSF sounding pop punk they would have hit a ceiling, eventually leveling out. At least they’re able to expand with this sound and go an All Time Low route which seems to be the plan.

8. brentkid

Regular

Definitely a lot of ATL similarities. Was a little underwhelmed after the first listen but it grew on me. Chorus was definitely stuck in my head.

Still super stoked for the album.

9. The Lucky Moose

I think this new songs sounds more like late Simple Plan than All Time Low

earthlight likes this.
  10. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Has that Feldmann sound to it. Don’t hate it, but can totally picture it on the Feldmann produced ATL, Blink, Good Charlotte, Goldfinger Albums.

11. Pretty hilarious, I'll admit. But even ATL abandoned this sound on their new record. This is (for me) easily worse than any ATL song except from Dirty Work.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

Yeah their new record also sold worse than the two previous ones if I remember it right, haha

BigMouth likes this.
  13. sawhney[rusted]2 Apr 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2018)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I just want one of these bands to do SOMETHING with that TSSF sound...it sounds so restricting and sonically bankrupt in terms of songwriting, so most bands have to turn to the pop type of style to expand. Knuckle Puck is one of the few that had potential to do something different, but still haven’t delivered. I was hoping State Champs would be one of the ones leading the charge but man, this single is just a stylistic retread of what many other bands have done, just worse.

beachdude42 and SamLevi11 like this.
  14. oldboot

Regular

They seem to be on the ATL progression. Pop-punky debut that continuously gets more poppy. I really like this though, not sure why. I've heard it twice and can't stop humming it.

15. SamLevi11 Apr 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 20, 2018)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I just don't think "progression" is retreading what other bands have done, but worse.

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I just cant get over the Feldmann production on the guitars.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The pre-orders are actually pretty doable. $45 for their 4 vinyl collection? Not bad.

They have a shit ton of merch.

18. I hate how record labels on MerchNow make you pay for the CD too to get the more limited variant of the LP.

19. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

All about those first-week numbers

ryanfears likes this.
  20. btr

Trusted Supporter

21. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

This is basically exactly what I expected their new material to sound like

This will be a nice album to bump during the Summer no doubt

23. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Well that was disappointing.

24. True... alright, well, in any case, I'm not a fan (of what State Champs is doing or ATL's most recent record)! I also think it's fair to say there's not much of a market for most pop punk at this point beyond the really big acts (Blink-182, Green Day, ADTR, etc.) and I don't think State Champs has it in them to write a breakthrough hit.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My coworker just told me his gf grew up/went to school with Derek. Showed me all these pictures they have together. What a small fucking world haha. This only started bc I asked him if he’s heard of State Champs. Of course he has lol. Needless to say, he’s happy for Dereks success.

earthlight and The Lucky Moose like this.