Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars Universe (Rebels, Clone Wars, Comics, Books, Video Games) • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I’ll take your word for it. Which story was good? I might just read that

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I’ll have to double check the title of it. I’ll get back to you.

Dodger likes this.
  3. Dodge725

Trusted

I don’t disagree that the idea behind the Luke book isn’t great. They want to wait to reveal his real story in Last Jedi I’m sure but then just don’t have a book about him until after the movie. I still have A Certain Point if View to finish before getting to it and Canto Bight will probably jump it too.

4. bodkins

Trusted

Battlefront 2's story was solid. Felt like a Star Wars story and has interesting tie ins with both original and sequel trilogy. Apparently the free DLC that drops right before TLJ will has some tie in to VIII. Wasn't expecting to finish the game and have questions/really view he story as important as other Star Wars media.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

its amazing how much gold has been mined from what was originally set to be a shitty era with the Clone Wars stuff. Its pretty impressive just how good and how interesting the shows and books are given just how.....boring most of the prequel films are. Like, the Clone Troopers are pretty boring if I'm being honest, I never really cared about them in the films and whenever a battle was going on it just looked like a bad video game cinematic. BUT THE SHOWS, oh the shows have made them much much more interesting and the commandos with names and actual character are really cool and its such a testament to the writers that they could take literal clones of this one guy and give quite a few of them their own traits and characterizations.

im on a big Star Wars kick right now and felt like babbling dont mind me

Dodger likes this.
  6. Greg

The crazy thing is, Lucas was a huge part of the show and was a major creative idea guy behind it.

Funny how him sitting back and being the ideas guy vs trying to do everything and letting others help him made such a difference.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. CoffeeEyes17

yeah when left to his own devices, as shown in the RedLetterMedia reviews, hes borderline destructive and doesnt even understand his own movies/universe at times. him letting others help and throwing ideas out and being kept in check makes a world of difference. while the Clone Wars saga is probably my least favorite of the major eras (Old Republic is probably my favorite, but ofc the original trilogy and the new films have been pretty fantastic) its still got a lot of great fiction and characters and events in it thanks to the ancillary material like shows, games, and books.

8. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

If it's your universe, isn't it up to everyone else to alter their understanding? This is a confusing statement. Can you give me examples of Lucas misunderstanding Star Wars? Maybe his ideas don't align with your perception of the movies and universe, but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand it. I'm open to hearing about this because maybe I'm wrong and there are things that are misunderstood that I'm not catching.

9. ship90

Trusted

ShopDisney has a Black Friday sale with a ton of Star Wars stuff obvs using code AMAZING (a ton of really cool pins -- love this one). I quite like this Shag print, didn't pick it up when I was at Disney Springs this past summer so I'm glad it's available here (don't think his stuff is on sale tho).

10. ship90

Trusted

If you preorder the Canto Bight book, you can upload a screenshot of your preorder and get a free pin
    [​IMG]

11. CoffeeEyes17

For example, the jedi robes we see the jedi using in the Prequel trilogy shouldnt be the "jedi robes". Obi Wan wouldnt be wearing jedi robes on Tattooine when hes trying to hide, that would just draw more attention to him. Uncle Owen also has similar robes on....because its a desert planet and thats what they wear to adapt to the harsh environment. Or the famous "Greedo shot first"......no, he didnt. its perfectly within Hans character to shoot first and worry about consequences later. Also the fact that the prequel trilogy is SO FOCUSED on Anakin/Darth Vader purely because Darth Vader is famous to the audience and is probably the most popular character from the franchise. This isnt reading between the lines or an observation, Lucas has straight up said this. Its made such a vast universe feel so small, not to mention the awful "Prophecy to destroy the Sith" stuff. Who wrote this prophecy? Why? Didnt we beat the Sith Empire already? Why do we need a prophecy? Theres little things as well, in Episode IV Obi Wan says "For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights have been the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic" but in the Prequels Palpatine continually says "1000 years", which is a very big time difference. Also, if I were Obi Wan, I dont think I'd ever refer to Anakin as a "good friend" like he does in Episode IV given what we've actually seen of him in the prequels. Now this and the former "1000 years/1000 generations" discrepancy could be absolved with tertiary material, the TV Show does a good job of showing Anakin and Obi Wans relationship and how they actually DID have a strong friendship and you could argue that the "1000 Generations" is referring to the old KOTOR era as well as the prequel era.

Theres other little things here and there, not to mention just how poorly directed and statically filmed/edited the prequels are but thats more technical issues than Lucas not understand the fiction

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Hardly any of the things you mentioned has anything to do with misunderstanding his own universe. The robes in question are basically burlap sacks, cheap and not very aesthetically pleasing. Perfect not only for an order built on non-attachment but also for farmers, living on meager funds, in the middle of a harsh and unforgiving environment.

As far as the 1,000 years, 1,000 Generations thing...I'd say let's not hop all over that until we see what Rian Johnson's new trilogy will be.

Like you said, Clone Wars shows their friendship which is a large reason George Lucas started up that show.

I don't think you can misunderstand something that you made up, but that's just me.

Then again, I'm a Prequelist, so what do I know?

13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Decided I'll be tweeting about some good deals I see today. Here's one for Bloodline:

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Bloodline is great. If you see any others I'd appreciate it

15. CoffeeEyes17

lol so much for being open to discussion I guess.

I have no idea why you think the finely tailored robes are burlap sacks or why you think I'm only referring to the literal brown robe when what I'm referring to is the robe/shirt underneath as well. Theyre exactly the same and its really dumb of Lucas to not make the jedi robes be more unique.

idk what a new trilogy will do to fix that inconsistency. theres a big different between 1000 years and 1000 generations and theyre directly contradictory. thats not really defendable.

Again, thats my point. A show AFTER the movies had to come out and attempt to fix their friendship. Sure Lucas played a part in the show, but the show had to correct his mistakes to begin with.

Theres plenty of other points. Leia saying she remembered her mother when she couldnt have, she was only minutes old when Padme passed. Anakin somehow BUILT C-3PO at the age of nine, and for some odd reason modeled it after a protocol droid which are designed for "protocol and etiquette" yet he says he built it so it could help his mom with cleaning their little sand hut or w/e. Anakin reverts back to his young self when Luke sees his ghost at the end of Episode VI. Obi Wan doesnt recognize C3PO or R2 at all when he meets them again in Episode IV. Its weird that everyone in Episode IV seem to regard the Jedi as a myth, an old legend, fairytales, when the Clone Wars hadnt really been THAT long ago and it was one of the biggest wars in the galaxy.

its fine to like the prequels, i like them for what they are, but its pretty disingenuous to assume that just because you created something it means you cant mess it up. Hes proven many times now that he simply forgot how the fiction of this universe works or hes too busy seeing dollar signs to realize how dumb an idea or scene can be.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'll keep an eye out! This is the only one I saw so far, but I haven't done a huge dive into Amazon deals just yet.

ChaseTx likes this.
  17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Not a book, but some good Kindle deals on the comics, too. A bunch of other trades are around $5.50-6.50. Also, some are for either Kindle OR Comixology. Not the case with Phasma, but Doctor Aphra Vol. 1 was listed for $3.99 on either.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I'm open to discussion. I'm just letting you know that shaming the movies or me for liking them won't work with me since I enjoy them. I don't like everything about them, but I think the overall story was magnificent. Especially all the manipulation from Palpatine.

Honestly this is super ticcy-taccy, you should be an NBA ref. This is your complaint in a universe with swords made of lasers and faster than light speed travel?

The quote you are referring to from Palpatine is ""I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two!" Where does he say that the Jedi were only started when the Republic came about? The Jedi existed before the Republic was formed.

It was explained that she saw it through the Force rather than actually remembering it in a comic book. Sure, it's a retcon, but it makes sense.

Point, CoffeeEyes17! I'll give you this one but again, it just doesn't bother me as much as it does you.

There are many versions of the movies to choose from. Pick the one that suits you. I'm more than willing to throw the Despecialized Versions on Dropbox or send them to you somehow if that's the version you prefer. There's no need to suffer through it if you hate it that much when there are options out there that will allow full enjoyment of these excellent movies. For the Obi-Wan things I always figured he was playing dumb.

Palpatine actively restricted any information on the Jedi and effectively tried to wipe them from history so this can easily be understood. Also, you need to realize that there were not a terrible amount of Jedi in the Galaxy. Only a small fraction had ever seen one. There were, what, maybe 10,000 Jedi, spread over 50 million civilized systems? They weren't as pervasive as you may think. The idea that he messed it up is definitely one that many people have, I'm just not one of them. I think the execution was lacking, but that overall it yielded a rich storytelling canvas for other mediums and had a lot of really great moments along with the bad parts.

19. CoffeeEyes17

i dont really understand the condescension but ok, sure we can go with that I guess. im not shaming you, i like them too for what they are, but i think youve misunderstood mine and Gregs original discussion. I'm not "nitpicking" the movie for the sake of it, the things i mentioned above are inconsistencies/errors/flat out incorrect things that tertiary material had to fix because Lucas messed it up to begin with.

Lucas made it a point to back to the original trilogy and mess them up as well. Greedo shooting first is dumb and adding young Anakin back makes no sense because Luke has no idea what he looked like before he became Vader.

Obi-Wan and Palpatine are both referring to the Republic which Palpatine is wrong either way. The republic was around longer than 1000 years, much longer, and the Jedi have indeed been defending it for many generations. also its kinda hard to wipe away the BIGGEST WAR IN THE GALAXY.

THATS MY ORIGINAL POINT LOL. Lucas had bad execution with the prequels, and subsequent books/shows/etc have had to fix all of that stuff. Lucas did indeed make a great universe, but its pretty apparent he doesnt understand or remember the rules hes made for that universe. ive seen the original unaltered versions, again im not sure whats with the condescension and why youve got this perception that i just abhor these films or something. Im just pointing out that, while sure Lucas did indeed create or help create a lot of the best material in Star Wars, hes also made giant plot holes and has actively tried to mess with the original trilogy for the sake of it.

20. Greg

This thread is going down a path I cant follow.

Dodger and bodkins like this.
  21. bodkins

Trusted

It's breaking my heart.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

U WERE DESTINED TO DESTROY THE TROLLS, NOT JOIN THEM. TO BRING BALANCE TO THE FORUMS NOT LEAVE IT IN TATTERS.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  23. Greg

I’m not joining them. I’m just too tired to battle them.

24. CoffeeEyes17

I was referring to myself tyvm

Unless you’re saying we’re not friends anymore

In that case I’m hurt

25. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I like how literally taking your points and presenting a counter-argument is considered trolling. I was going to include a few more thoughts but I guess you're only interested in people agreeing with you, not offering opposing viewpoints. Sorry for living.