Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars Universe (Rebels, Clone Wars, Comics, Books, Video Games) • Page 147

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Droid arc was rough, as advertised lol. I actually didn't really get super into the first half of S5 at all (skipped 501 because going chronologically, that one is actually next). I see every upcoming episode this season has incredible IMDB scores though

bodkins likes this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The last episode of the droid arc with Gregor is decent. But the rest is skippable.

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Light of the Jedi was decent. It does a solid job at world-building and differentiating this timeline from what comes after in terms of technology and the political landscape. I very much liked how the Great Disaster was set up and how it moved the plot forward. It's a really inventive way to use something we all know "hyperspace" but repurpose it to drive the central conflict and plot. I believe this was actually written before the pandemic, so it was wild that a subplot of this was how isolated the galaxy was when hyperspace lanes had to be shut off, and then there was a character there saying "no we need to reopen!". Part of me wonders if that was added in when it was delayed, but it was interesting either way
    I did really feel a connection or interest in any individual character though. I'm mixed on the Jedi in this. Part of me wonders if it's possible for the Jedi to be interesting in any pre-PT era, honestly. Their personalities vary slightly, but overall they are just too similar and uninteresting. What I did enjoy about them was how their connections with the force differ. Avar Kriss sees the force as a song and can link Jedi together, another one sees it as an ocean, one just simply sees it as a force, etc.. The Nihil have potential as a villain. Marchion Ro gets interesting at the end. I very much enjoy the scene where uses his knowledge of how the Jedi feel pain and fear to subdue Loden Greatstorm. Also, the end battle was very well done in general. The chaotic fighting style of the Nihil should make them a compelling foil to the Jedi. Also, the use of hyperspace in the battle was great.
    Overall, it got me interested in the era and I'm looking forward to more. I did the audiobook and was distracted at times while listening, particularly in the middle, so I do want to give it another listen and see if that changes my opinion.

4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Holy shit, the two arcs in the second half of S5 is literally Star Wars at its best

- I can't believe how fucking cool Darth Maul is here. This raised him to like a top 3 SW villain for me maybe. Maul and Savage vs. The Emperor was absolutely incredible, one of the best fight scenes in the entire franchise
    - Ahsokas' arc at the end was also amazing. I really, really love how they fully portrayed the Jedi Order as arrogant and honestly kind of ignorant, Bariss really had a point and I think that was intentional. The scene where she leaves and Anakin says he really understands where she's coming from did such an amazing job at providing more context to his downfall, making it a bit more believable and less sudden
    If the show gets even better than those two arcs than I have no idea wtf to expect from that

5. The final arc of season 7 could be the best star wars ever

aoftbsten, DefeatTheLow and bodkins like this.
  6. JRShoenberger

Trusted

For sure. The bad batch was cool and all, but it really ties together perfectly at the end.

bodkins likes this.
  7. stars143

Trusted

I'm watching all the Star Wars: Galaxy of Adventures shorts. I love this animation style. Can't wait for Visions.

8. Dodge725

Trusted

I loved Light of the Jedi. Definitely in the top 5 of new canon. Really liked all the new characters (and want Funko pops of all of them), the story was great while also setting up this era and the rest of this initiative, and there’s some great Jedi/force philosophy stuff that will I’m sure he touched on more and has some interesting comparisons to the PT.

9. theagentcoma and bodkins like this.
  10. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

spiffa0 likes this.
  11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Watched all of S6 today. I love how the story genuinely feels like it's organically leading into Episode III now, the arc with Fives (RIP :( ) coming really close to figuring out the whole Order 66 thing but nobody believing him was fantastic and heart-breaking, and really drives home how tragic that event is meant to be, and Yoda's last arc is really great too, the context it gives to him going into hiding on Dagobah, plus the explanation of the eventual Force Ghosts was really great too

bodkins likes this.
  12. Re: Yoda — That arc really solidified Qui-Gon’s importance as well. His ability to see the bigger picture, beyond the Jedi Order, was imperative for the events that followed. He never got enough credit. In universe, or IRL.

13. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I’d love more about QuiGon. Such a cool character.

14. I really enjoyed the book Master and Apprentice if you want more qui gon. The audio book version is top notch.

Dodge725, JRShoenberger and bodkins like this.
  15. bodkins

Trusted

Seconded! The voices the narrator matches are really impressive and the book in general was great. Definitely some great QuiGon stuff going on in that one.

spiffa0 likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The first issue of The High Republic was a lot of fun.

JRShoenberger and bodkins like this.
  17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Holy shit, the last arc of S7 is literally better than a lot of the movies

Tied everything together PERFECTLY, and such an amazing combination of action, heartbreaking drama and incredible animation. I really love how it's a lot more noticeably cinematic in its presentation, cinematography, and music (the use of the normal SW theme gave me chills). Also cemented that Ahsoka, Maul and Rex have all rapidly climbed the list of my favorite Star Wars characters ever

Overall Clone Wars had its fair share of filler that I honestly might skip if I ever rewatch the show (which I'm sure I will eventually), but when it's at its best it's literally some of the all time best content Star Wars has to offer. I've already been a prequel trilogy apologist for my whole life since it's the trilogy I grew up with but this just makes it so much fucking better, the added context and characterization is just perfectly done. Watching ROTS tomorrow and I already know it's going to make the events of that movie so much more impactful now.

I can't believe I still have Rebels, The Mandalorian and Resistance to watch lol. Finishing this series felt like an accomplishment but I still have so much of the franchise to go, but I'm so stoked to keep watching the shows for the first time between the movies I'm already so familiar with, it feels like a new experience

18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that arc is my favourite SW content by far honestly

19. ryhhno

Ugh I need to move faster hahaha! Just finished up all of S3. Absolutely agree with everything you said so far.

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

There's a fan edit of ROTS with the final arc of Clone Wars interwoven. I haven't watched it (it's on my list), but you might be interested in checking it out.

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I was actually thinking while I was watching it that this would be the perfect way to finish watching the prequel era, I'll try to find that for sure

Watched ROTS and Solo today. Definitely was right that ROTS felt a lot more impactful, but it also made me notice just how good the writing on Clone Wars could actually be because it felt like a pretty big step down in certain aspects lol. Still really awesome watching that with context

Also, Solo is underrated. Maul's appearance feels like a lot less random now too

coleslawed and bodkins like this.
  22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Starting Rebels tomorrow. That one's episodes are just all chronological right? I don't have to find the right order or anything?

coleslawed, JRShoenberger and bodkins like this.
  23. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Yea, they are all in order already

tdlyon likes this.
  24. stars143

Trusted

I haven't read any Star Wars comics since I was a kid, but I am very much enjoying getting caught up on the Star Wars (Marvel 2015-2019) series.

bodkins likes this.
  25. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Yeah! Thanks everyone for the comics recs. I finished The Rise of Kylo Ren and Shattered Empire. Then I started Dr. Aphra, but decided to go back and read Darth Vader first, so I'm about halfway through that, then I'll go and finish Dr. Aphra.

spiffa0 and bodkins like this.