Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Kennedy is great. Luke’s death was handled better than I ever could have imagined. Damn near perfect in my opinion.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I also thought Luke's death was handled marvelously well. I was a little disappointed in the aftermath of Han Solo's death. I know screentime is limited, but I am a sucker for a good funeral scene - they make it seem like the death mattered to the people in the story.

I end up feeling so conflicted when I think about SOLO because I think it is exactly the type of film they should not be making, the absolute least creative, least exciting, most universe shrinking film when there are literally countiess stories they could be telling in this universe that would be infinitely more exciting..... yet when I watched it it was a damn good time and probably the most well made film of all the new Star Wars movies and the one that works the most for me as a movie in and of itself. Weird.

Dodger likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I hope people got my sarcasm on that last post :/

4. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Holy shit I thought it was satire at first

It’s not

Connor likes this.
  5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Lol my reaction exactly. That music. The bleachers. Staring into the void. Walking away.

It’s all real. Guy took his time framing those shots, selecting the music, editing the narrative...with full sincerity.

Connor likes this.
  6. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

-agreed with the Han thing. There was no time for a funeral but if Rian could’ve fit in Hamills crying deleted scene he would have but I even tried fitting it in and it just doesn’t work. They at least had him kind of mourn in the Falcon a bit.

- I’d say force awakens was the most well made personally but I don’t know shit about film. It just seemed like it was he most cohesive movie and story.

7. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Kathleen's doing great with Star Wars.

- Force Awakens was a beautiful experience.

- Rogue One while not without fault, had possibly the best space battle in the franchise and the last two minutes alone are close to Star Wars perfection.

- The Last Jedi threw so many spanners in the Star Wars world and changed the pacing we expected, and delivered a character progressive and great film with plenty to enjoy.

- Solo was a fun two hours that gave us some cool sequences, a great young Lando and an awesome score.

I'm all for J.J bringing his A-game with Ep 9. Fuck yeah.

coleslawed and DrAlanGrant like this.
  8. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Lol as if Kathleen Kennedy's previous film career doesn't warrant her a million missteps (if you want to be dramatic and label these Star Wars films as such). Get the fuck out of here

beachdude42 and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  9. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

My brother dropped that idea on me today. The Lando film has Billy Dee as the old Lando and he starts to tell a story about the past and we get Glover...

FrenzalRob likes this.
  10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

still havent seen Solo. Im expecting to like it tbh.

11. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Every death has been done beautifully in these new Star Wars movies. They make sense on the context of the film. Leia's death will more than likely be the thing that brings the resistance (rebellion) together. Everyone is going to come out of hiding or more so standing up for the greater good of the galaxy. The actions of the resistance in TLJ was exactly what they said it was. A spark that lights the fire.

12. Dodger Jul 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2018)
    Dodger

Bloodline by Claudia Gray opens with a ceremony on Hosnian prime honoring Bail Organa with a huge statue after his death for everything he did for the galaxy. Leia talks about how the event brought the Republic which is extremely divided at the moment together in harmony. Tai Lin Gar and Leia give speeches talking about him.

I keep picturing the same thing for episode 9. A ceremony for Leia now. Brings the galaxy and rebellion back together. All the old surviving Rebels are there. Nien Numb is there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lawson comes back for a Wedge cameo in the scene. Lando gives a speech talking about everything she did for the galaxy. I know that won’t happen but it would be poetic.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm sorry, but I can't help but come back to this video again. The sincerity of this guy cracks my shit up.

Funniest comedy of 2018 so far.

Nyquist likes this.
  14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit. I started watching that video and I really really really thought that was a joke, like it was an elaborate satire played real straight and we were all just missing the joke. Unfortunately I watched a little more and I think that dude was dead serious. I didnt watch the whole thing but what I did watch was unintentionally hilarious. One of the funniest most asanine things I have seen in a long, long time.

Nyquist likes this.
  15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Looking forward to more Kylo Ren.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Me too.

At this point, I'd say he's a better villain than Vader ever was.

SpyKi and nomemorial like this.
  17. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I love Kylo as a villain. I think he's extremely believable, especially being young and idolizing the memory of someone he never knew.

I really liked Luke's inclusion in his character arc, too. I know that's one thing so many seem to have an issue with in TLJ, but it gives both characters an interesting dynamic and shows the "instability" of the Force. Both of them experienced fear in a way they both clearly had before and it changed them for better and worse. It makes their final confrontation much more poignant.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It’s a shame because he is one of the more interesting characters from the sequel trilogy and I wouldn’t be surprised if he just goes full generic villain and dies in episode 9. Poe and Finn were not given much character development in TLJ so both of them will probably be given a lot + the conclusion to the arc that Rey has been on.

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll be massively let down if he dies.

20. Dodger

Curious as to why you think they weren’t given much development. You may not have liked their arcs which is fine but their characters both completely changed their fundamental ideologies because of each of their journies.

coleslawed, ship90 and Jason Tate like this.
  21. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

22. :pondathumb:

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Poe: Trigger-happy pilot that had to be held down so he wouldn’t try to do something risky, just like he did when he attacked the Starkiller base in TFA. Ended up being wrong and his judgement was off about Holdo.
    Finn: Ended up not liking animal cruelty. He was about to sacrifice himself to save others which is minor character development due to the emotions causing it not really being fleshed out. He just suddenly decided that he would sacrifice himself. Does liking a girl count as character development?

24. I never know what to say when I feel like super obvious things that just watching the movie kinda beats you over the head with get missed. Because I’m immediately at a loss for how to explain something the movie showed better than I can type it out.

The lesson of what a hero and leader is, is fundimental to Poe’s entire arc. The lesson of why we fight, what we are fighting for, and what that means to Finn is central to who he is as a character now. Both saw very big developments within themselves, and their interactions with the other characters, in the movie. They fundamentally shifted who they are and how they view their world and place in it.

25. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

If there is one thing this movie has, it’s clear and defined character arcs for Finn and Poe.

In TFA, Finn went from “i need to escape the First Order, and will do and say whatever I have to in order to accomplish that goal” to “I really like this Rey girl and will aid the Resistance and risk my life in an attempt to rescue her.”

In TLJ, he goes from “I still really like Rey, and I’ll do, and say, whatever I have to in order to save her” to “The First Order is worth fighting against, rather than merely escaping from. And while I’m willing to sacrifice my life for this cause, I will not simply throw my life away.”

That’s a hell of a journey.