Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 434

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. emojedi

Trusted

I remember being irrationally angry during that entire movie

neo506 and Furry Werthers like this.
  2. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

My son’s go to Star Wars films are RotJ and this. I’ve probably watched this movie more times than I can count. I think I’ve just become numb to it. I think the Han scene is my favorite thing about the movie, but that may be because I’m a dad.

Zilla, Orla and coleslawed like this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think there are some genuinely good scenes, moments and ideas in the movie, the Han scene being one. Almost none work together cohesively unfortunately.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

the Palpatine opening is actually pretty solid. I dig the creepy gothic vibes. But it wasn’t setup at all in the previous two films, so it doesn’t work.

FlayedManOfSF, Cameron, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  5. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I still don’t like that they doubled up on Snokes in the tanks. And why did there even need to be Snokes in tanks. Couldn’t we have just taken his word for it? What did he need more than one for?

6. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

I know this leans heavy into the fan service, and a lot of people hate this idea, but I still strongly believe that Snoke being Plagueis and Rey being a Kenobi, if she needed to be related to anyone, would have made for a much better story, and made more sense in the grand scheme of the saga. Just my opinion though.

WanderingSquall likes this.
  7. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Pretty much anything would have been better and more coherent/cohesive than we got.

8. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I remember walking out of this movie trying to convince myself that I liked it. Spent the next 2 hours thinking about it and realized it was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, if not the worst

TSLROCKS and Furry Werthers like this.
  9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

it somehow had the most fun imagery and set pieces of the sequel trilogy but was still the most unfun film of the three. solely because the plot didn’t even try one bit.

coleslawed and Furry Werthers like this.
  10. Furry Werthers

Trusted

it's not even like a "bad" movie - the effects are fantastic, the actors are doing their best, hell, the script *itself* isn't even that bad if you strip away the plot (and hamfisted shit like "somehow... Palpatine survived" to explain said plot) it's just... what I've landed on that makes it so weird is that it a.) DOES NOT gel with really annnnny of the previously established plot, and being the "finale" that just feels infinitely weird, and b.) you can *feel* the corporate paint-by-numbers soullessness of it all. Like... I feel like it's hard to explain what this movie feels like when you watch it, you just have to watch and and feel it. God bless people (like my brother) who think I'm insane and genuinely loved this movie, I'm honestly jealous. I really, really wanted to enjoy this movie and see them stick the landing.

Zilla, dlemert, Orla and 3 others like this.
  11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, this is the worst part of it. Obviously, the goal of any big movie like this is to make money, especially with Disney at the helm, but you can really tell this was a product with not much energy or thought put in beyond that. Even with Solo and Rogue One, where we know there was major meddling from the studio, they still felt like they had some passion or some vision behind them. This just feels like Bob Iger stepped in and said just make it loud and fast so we can get a billion from it.

12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I like to dunk on the movie but I think I also like the movie

coleslawed and xDumpweed182x like this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I don’t know, the script seems pretty bad when I think about how Palpatine was introduced, that awkward Poe/Rey bicker in the beginning, Finn randomly bringing up a secret (more than once) that he never actually divulges, instantly revealing Chewie wasn’t dead, etc etc etc. The best description I’ve heard of this movie is that it feels like a video game.

14. dlemert

Trusted

Glad I'm not the only one who hates that Rey/Poe bickering scene. They're both great actors but can't make that dialogue work.

AFoolsGlory and jkauf like this.
  15. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Maybe the worst part is the dagger. Just extremely poorly written.

And you can suspend your disbelief for a lot of Star Wars climaxes (oh cool just gonna hit this one thing and blow up the entire Death Star) but ... a whole fleet of Star destroyers that can’t take off without a big pole? The Rey and kylo kiss? Baffling decisions

Also, not saying you can’t like this movie... It’s just become one of my favorite things to dunk on.

Leftandleaving and Orla like this.
  16. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Tried watching it again recently and couldn't make it all the way through. Of course the effects are fantastic and the cast is great—the movie's part of one of the world's most popular media franchises, and it's bankrolled by Disney, so that's to be expected.

The quality of writing for TROS can't be redeemed by those things, though, and it seems like pacing wasn't taken into consideration at all. It still baffles me that this version of Episode IX is the one that got made, and it's extra disappointing that it's the end cap on the entire Skywalker Saga.

Leftandleaving and Jason Tate like this.
  17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I feel like this is something from the Trevorrow script they tried to work in but just forgot to take it anywhere.

18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I want a replica of Rey’s lightsaber at the end

coleslawed and Furry Werthers like this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the love interest or whatever between Poe and the bounty hunter lady belongs on this list. these are all examples of less than good plot that just gets thrown at you with zero development. none of it earns its worth at all.

Orla likes this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I want future SW trilogies to be series instead. this universe can always benefit from being able to breathe and be fleshed out more.

21. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Yea, this movie still sucks.

Like someone said above, after my first viewing I tried to make myself like it. Then a few hours later after my second movie I knew it was awful. What an absolute bummer it was.

Grapevine_Twine and Jason Tate like this.
  22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I remember this screened the same day as “Cats” and I had more fun at that.

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this movie pretty much tarnished my love of the rest of the series minus ESB

24. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Huh? That's...fairly ridiculous. Are you one of those "George Lucas murdered my childhood" folks?

coleslawed likes this.
  25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

nah. it’s similar to GOT. knowing what the payoff is and how bad it is cheapens a lot of the rest of the series.