Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 423

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I feel like a large percentage of Star Wars fandom would call Star Wars "cool" before anything else, while I would call it "fun" before anything else. And, while both of those words are super subjective themselves, & overlap a ton, & are not mutually exclusive... I do think that subtle distinction explains a lot of the areas where I find myself at odds w/ the fandom's tastes.

2. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this has generally been my view. just always hated how Anakin’s turn happened so easily.
    watched Revenge last night after finishing all of Clone Wars, and in light of those (and especially the new season), I enjoyed it much more this time.
    I still maintain that I is the best of the prequels, but III has slightly edged out II.

3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this movie made me hate the Jedi so much that I was glad when the younglings got massacred

Leftandleaving likes this.
  4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I saw Episode 1 in theaters as a kid 9 times and I would take my Darth Maul toy in with me. It’s hard for me to dislike that film.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think I'd agree with this distinction. I think it's the reason I enjoy Canto Bight. It's not "cool" in the sense many use for Star Wars (though I'd argue the design of the city and alien creatures are cool), but it's fun.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  6. Tim

Oh absolutely. Which, Canto Bight also has the advantage for me of being thematically significant. But, yeah, just on that surface level, it might not be badass or whatever, but it’s fun space adventure stuff for me.

aoftbsten likes this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yep, it adds some much needed fun into the 2nd act, which would probably be really slow with out it. And I absolutely love it as a backdrop to Finn's arc. Plus, it gave an explain how something like the First Order could rise again after the Empire fell (a thread I really hoped they'd carry on in this, but oh well).

8. I hate how people went from "Canto Bight is a useless subplot" to "Let's harrass KMT until she gets off of social media."

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

The prequels are, IMO, not that great because Hayden was a very wooden, stiff actor, and the dialogue is badly written a lot of times. ESPECIALLY the love story and the dialogue between Anakin and Padme. Shit was brutal to watch.

I still like the overall story They tell though and Darth Maul was awesome and I enjoyed all the lightsaber goes werrrr action

williek311 likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

the idea of the story definitely isn't terrible, but that's about the farthest i'll go haha

11. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

13. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The story for the prequels was great, if only the execution would have been better. The whole Palpatine using the war to advance up the political rankings and planting seeds to turn Anakin.

David87 likes this.
  14. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Anakin Skywalker is the definitely the worst part about the prequels which revolve around anakin skywalker unfortunately.

coleslawed and David87 like this.
  15. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Would have been a lot more interesting to see his training under a fully formed Jedi Council in contrast to Luke and Yoda on Degobah. So many opportunities to weave a cohesive story just wasted on CGI bullshit.

16. Maverick

Trusted

Day 11, The Last Jedi

- This movie restored a little more faith in the new trilogy for me. Luke Skywalker's big role in the film helps a lot. I'm liking Domhnall Gleeson's character more, Kylo Ren is better with the mask off, still not a big fan of Oscar Issac's character, and enjoyed just about everything with Rey and Luke. I wasn't a fan of Canto Bight the first time I watched but now I see it as an interesting look into a superficial society that funded the New Order and I liked the return to "Cantina" music and the funny neat new creatures. Besides that I was kinda meh to the Rose/Finn subplot. Princess Leia's use of force in space after her ship exploded might have been a bit too silly for some but I have to admit seeing Carrie Fisher's eyes open after thinking Leia died was a pretty emotional moment for me. I was also a sucker for Luke Skywalker's face-off with Kylo Ren and co, thought that and the visual looks of the planet was really well done. (8.0/10)

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm really glad I like the prequels due to my incredibly strong childhood nostalgia, it means I get to like more Star Wars movie than most people do lol

18. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I definitely have nostalgia for Phantom Menace and I also beyond that think that it's a pretty fun movie

coleslawed likes this.
  19. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

100% this. I thought the whole scene was fantastic although I know a majority in here would say otherwise.

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  20. NitrateDawn

Regular

I’ll never understand so few people seemed to get that the fact that Rose and Finn’s Canto Bight excursion was pointless was the entire point. The greatest teacher failure is.

21. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

NitrateDawn likes this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I actually used to, and then I re watched it recently. Yeah it’s absolutely on par with the rest if not worse.

Leftandleaving and Tim like this.
  23. Tim

I just really feel like people hating her "not fighting what we hate" line, when the whole crux of the Luke/Vader/Emperor conflict in third act of the third film of the original trilogy (& by extension the central theme of the franchise in its original form) is literally that... explains so much of modern day Star Wars fandom.

coleslawed likes this.
  24. Maverick

Trusted

Day 12, Rise Of Skywalker

- Well, this wasn't that great. In context with the rest of the series, definitely ranked low. There are things I liked, but from the start it's apparent the movie won't be able to save itself so I just enjoy it for what I can. The things I liked: Seeing Harrison Ford one last time, Princess Leia passing peacefully after Ben Solo is saved, Kylo Ren & Rey battle on the rocks, Rey hearing all the Jedi voices, Babu Frik, and Ben Solo's hand gesture to the Knights. Besides that and some other things the movie was kind of a mess. The Palpatine return could have been done so much better if they insisted on going down that road. But well, it was a nice ride overall with the entire cast - new and old. (7.0/10)

25. Maverick

Trusted

So after a complete rewatch of the series I'd rank the live action movies/show like so..

1 - The Empire Strikes Back (10)
    2 - A New Hope (9.5)
    3 - Return Of The Jedi (9.5)
    4 - Revenge Of The Sith (8.5)
    5. - The Last Jedi (8.0)
    6 - The Phantom Menace (7.5)
    7 - The Force Awakens (7.5)
    8 - The Rise Of Skywalker (7.0)
    9 - Attack Of The Clones (7.0)
    10 - Rogue One (6.5)
    11 - Solo (6.5)
    12 - The Mandalorian (6.0)

Best Moment: Luke Vs Vader on Cloud City (TESB)
    Best Space Battle: Rebel Alliance Vs. the 2nd Death Star (ROTJ)
    Best Lightsaber Battle: Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan Vs. Darth Maul (TPM)