Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 422

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

That would be great. I wish I could Eternal Sunshine this movie's existence out of my brain.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Hard disagree, lol. Most of this movie is just bad in infuriating ways. If I force myself to think about what happened in the movie, I can remember some small funny parts, like the tank of Snokes & Kylo dying after kissing Rey. But, the only aspects that seemed to approach prequel meme levels were "does Palpatine fuck" & "my name is Rey [last name]." Nothing as iconic as "I hate sand," or "I have the high ground," or killing younglings, etc. Those films have more, like, highlight video possibility & reference potential than TRoS, closer to The Room.

Plus, this film was made by an incompetent committee of voices, while the prequel trilogy is every bit as much George Lucas' misguided singular vision as The Room is Tommy Wiseau's.

3. Maverick

Trusted

Day 10, The Force Awakens

- First time I watched this I was highly disappointed. 2nd time it was just okay, but now following the other films the movie was much more enjoyable this time around. It hits a lot of the spots that makes up Star Wars movies. Its got humor (Finn & Chewbacca stand out), awesome special effects (The flying, space and lightsaber battles, etc), neat production design (Starkiller Base) and the return of the main cast. Once you get over the fact that the 3rd trilogy will never be as cool as you envision and let yourself enjoy a finely crafted film, its a good time. Not perfect, but still entertaining. (7.5/10)

BornToRun and AFoolsGlory like this.
  4. Kuri44 May 6, 2020
    (Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020)
    Kuri44

TFA is my favorite of the new trilogy. It set up so much potential that the other two didn’t deliver/build on in the way I wanted it to. ROTS is unwatchable Imo, I saw it once it theaters and have/probably will never see it again

EDIT: Oops, I meant TROS

dlemert and AFoolsGlory like this.
  5. I'm kind of afraid to rewatch TFA knowing how the trilogy ended. I don't have this problem with TLJ as it feels like its own movie without relying too much on its counterparts.

6. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

It always has to turn to prequel bashing hah? Y'all are so damn predictable.

oakhurst likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Well... they are bad movies

8. Tim

They are. Though, since it's relevant to both recent conversations, it's wild to me that the past year saw The Phantom Menace usurp The Force Awakens in my personal rankings. The latter is technically more competent, w/ a dope first half hour and... a lot fewer... racially/culturally "problematic" aliens, but the former genuinely brings me more joy.

Wonder how many people who put The Last Jedi in their top 3 can also say that about those two films.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. tomtom94

Trusted

Honest realisation, the prequels start bad and get much better in the third film, the new trilogy is kind of the opposite

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. Tim

Counterpoint: The prequels actually get worse the further they go (though Attack & Revenge are very close).

11. NitrateDawn

Regular

I feel like since the sequel trilogy is newer and the hurt (especially from TRoS) is newer people are saying they're worse than the prequels. But we've had time to come to terms with how genuinely awful those movies are and it's kind of come back around to the point where we can laugh at and appreciate their terribleness. But liking movies because of the memes doesn't make them good films. Give it 10 years and people will realize how much better the ST is on the whole than the PT again.

12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The prequels aren’t made well, but I would rather sit through them instead of the sequel trilogy if I had to choose.

Your Milkshake, AFoolsGlory and Ken like this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

wild

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Time has definitely helped the prequels. They're bad movies, but I think their terribleness is exaggerated because this fanbase is dramatic as hell. I think people have calmed down on them since the start of the Disney era.

More than time though, I think people's views of them has improved simply because of the quality of The Clone Wars. That show is so excellent that it makes people think the prequels are okay due to the context it provides them. It obviously doesn't make them good movies but it at least allowed people to understand what George thought he was saying with the movies.

coleslawed and Leftandleaving like this.
  15. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

1 - Isn't great, but it's biggest sin is being basically useless to the greater arc. It's mostly harmless.
    2 - Is bad in just about every way.
    3 - Is "fine" for the most part.

Dinosaurs Dish and coleslawed like this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I genuinely don’t understand why everyone thinks revenge is so much better than the first two movies

17. EntryLevelTank

I don't really care about Phantom because the pod-racing scene is really boring to me, and I loathe how wasted Darth Maul is. Baby Ani is annoying, I don't really care for any of this stuff on Tatooine, etc etc etc. I have just a lot of issues with that movie that don't e

Leftandleaving likes this.
  18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Because it features moments that star wars fans had been waiting to see for a long time.

19. Leftandleaving

But they aren’t done well haha

20. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

As a trilogy

PT>ST

There was at least a linear story arc told through those three films. ST was always gonna be a mess when you had three different sets of people behind each film.

21. EntryLevelTank

Right, I don't think ROTS is GOOD. I just think i'd rather see Anikan way waste to a Jedi temple, then baby ani accidentally take down an entire fleet while wondering WHO BRINGS A SIX-YEAR-OLD TO A BATTLEFRONT!

22. Leftandleaving

I think for me, while I absolutely agree the pod race is boring, I’d call most of TPM boring while I think ROTS is actively bad haha

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Why pit them against each other? They’re both bad. The Last Jedi rules but I can’t imagine sitting through the other five prequel/sequel movies again

theagentcoma and coleslawed like this.
  24. Leftandleaving

Because people always say ROTS is the “good” prequel

25. EntryLevelTank

I think mentally, I also punish TPM because it was FIRST. Like, you had a chance to do something really cool and you blew it and everything that follows you blew it because of you. I also haven't even mentioned Jar Jar, but like, he's not even in the top-10 of my problems.