Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 410

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I like T1&2 and Titanic but that’s the only Cameron stuff I enjoy.

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

anyone tried to watch T1 recently

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I watched it last October. It’s still very good imo.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah T1 is very good

5. NitrateDawn

Regular

Blame it on not seeing any of his stuff when it was released so I never got a sense of how groundbreaking any of it was, but I’ve never been awed by Cameron either. T1 was a fun enough movie and that’s the biggest impression anything of his has left on me

6. Nathan

Titanic may actually be my favorite. It was rereleased in theaters few years ago and holds up incredibly well, the scale of the ship and ocean is astounding, and while again, the love story is fairly straightforward, it ties into the larger wealth divide conflict that the film is really about

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Titanic would definitely be my top Cameron film.

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Hard to believe, but I watched Titanic for the first time last month. I held out for 20+ years.

9. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

It took me forever to see Fight Club. Like I didn’t see it until about five years ago.

Also I have never watched Avatar. Never had the urge to.

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Seems like people are forgetting about True Lies.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This is really well done.

theagentcoma and Cameron like this.
  12. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

How can you not like Aliens?!

I've still never seen Titanic. Saw the beginning a bit and then just like clips.

13. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been an alien fan. I never found it scary as a kid so I’ve never really enjoyed those films.

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I’ve actually never seen the end! I watched most of it with my friend when I was 10 but had to go home before the end. As far as I know, everyone somehow survives...!

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Outside of T2, Aliens might be Cameron’s best film. It helps that it’s predicated on an IP that he didn’t create. However, it’s jarring coming off of Scott’s Alien to Aliens where the script and the aesthetic are merely a product of their time. I saw both of these films for the first time within the last 6 or 7 years and Aliens has not aged very well. The opposite can be said for Alien, which is maybe the second or third sleekest sci-fi film of all time next to the likes of 2001. Obviously you can make a lot of important observations about filmmakers with the hindsight of 30 years as guide.

imthesheriff likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i guess i should watch avatar

17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I saw Avatar in theaters in 3D, admittedly a little late after having it hyped up a bunch, & I wasn't impressed. I also didn't have a fully formed taste in movies at the time, though. I honestly had a better experience when I saw the first How To Train Your Dragon in 3D, lol.

There's a 0% chance I revisit Avatar outside of a theater, but I've recently warmed up to the idea of seeing the new ones. Depending on what life looks like at the time, I'll probably try to see 'em in IMAX 3D.

On a similar note, part of me also wants George Lucas to write (or... maybe cowrite) & direct one more genre film, w/ all his awful writing & actor-directing & all his experimenting w/ current technological limits. Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith are awful, but what would he do w/ digital filmmaking in the 2020s? I dunno, maybe it'd be as unwatchable as the Hobbit trilogy, but I'd still like to see it happen.

AFoolsGlory and imthesheriff like this.
  18. [​IMG]

coleslawed, Cameron and Tim like this.
  19. Nathan

I like Jupiter Ascending. It’s bad, but I like it. The Wachowskis rule.

I wonder (maybe hope) that people are noticing the sort of bland sameness to all the MCU/Star Wars stuff and yearning for more auteur driven stuff, even in franchise work, especially when most of the strongest stuff in the MCU and Star Wars was made by visionary auteurs in Coogler, Rian Johnson, Waititi, etc.

20. Tim

Everything I've heard about this particular mess of a film actually makes me kinda wanna watch it, lol.

coleslawed and Your Milkshake like this.
  21. It's a complete disaster that's impossible to turn away from.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, not in the fun way. More in a "what is happening" kind of way.

Tim likes this.
  22. Tim

It's on Netflix. :chin:

Would it be morally wrong of me to watch it before I get around to restarting & finally finishing Sense8?

In my search, I also saw John Carter, which I also kinda wanna finally watch all the way through.

This is what lockdown has done to me.

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Aliens is fantastic! Taking a thriller/horror movie and turning it into an action movie as successfully as he did was a pretty great achievement imo. I actually prefer it to the original, though the original is great too.

Terminator is still great too, even if the effects are a bit dated.

24. tomdelonge

Trusted

Aliens is a real good yang to Alien yin. Aliyin.

And Titanic is crazy good

25. tomdelonge

Trusted

I didn't watch Avatar til last year (wanted to read the book first) and I dunno, it's pretty dull. The number of sequels is a huge headscratcher

Your Milkshake likes this.