Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. :ackbar: It’s a trap

2. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Subbed for this hype machine that will in no way ever get out of hand

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Not thrilled about that, to be honest. Just more nostalgiarrhea.

5. NitrateDawn

Regular

I saw a headline a while ago saying another legacy character was going to be in IX but I didn’t want anything spoiled... but I figured it was Lando. Excited

6. Very cool. Been a little weird we haven’t know where he has been.

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

brought to you by episode 9

Connor likes this.
  8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am very excited for Episode 9. I can't wait.

Connor likes this.
  9. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Makes sense. I doubt it will be a big role, but Im glad he's back.

Im expecting the movie to start off with Han and Leia being buried (ceremonially for Han obvi) together or just recognized in some way with Lando being there maybe giving a speech?

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

so do yall like to try and guess what the outline of the movie might be?

how much time do you think will have elapsed between 8 and 9? showing the spread of information about the resistance to a new generation in the second film of a trilogy is interesting and makes me wonder.

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I think enough time will have passed between episodes 8 and 9 to allow Leia to pass away. I’m fully expecting her funeral to be the opening to the film.

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Rian’s would be opening to episode 9

Poe drops Leia’s casket

someone irons a shirt

GrantCloud and Zach like this.
  13. Dodger

I wouldnt even be surprised if Leias presence is all throughout the film. Like her death triggers Kylo to do something. Maybe he flashes back to his childhood. Maybe hes been keeping a memento or picture of her or something that he brings out to look at. Maybe starts to see visions? Or in a final showdown scene Rey mentions her to Kylo. Idk. But I just expect since she cant have a grand exit, JJ is going to try to honor her as best as possible.

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I still feel like killing Leia in the crawl would be so awful and narratively unfulfilling. She's too important to the characters, particularly to Kylo's arc. We need her passing to be a thing that happens during the film itself so that we can see how it impacts the characters, even though we can't actually see her do anything onscreen before her passing.

Have it be a major piece of Kylo's arc. Have it play into Poe establishing himself into the Resistance's leadership. Maybe have Lando and others joining the fight at the beginning of the film before she goes, making it the right time for her to go.

What I'm hoping for is still some sort of scene where Leia becomes one with the Force. Like, have a stand in for Leia shot at an angle where you can't see her face, have Luke's Force ghost walk in and say something about it being her time, and show her disappear. You could also have this happen offscreen, with a character discovering that she's gone. But, I think a short, well staged scene without CGI or real recasting (outside of essentially a glorified body double) would be perfect.

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It's a tall order for Abrams to properly honor one of the greatest heroines in Hollywood history. I hope he's able to pull it off with class and makes her family and friends proud.

16. Dodger

I agree with you that it would be unfulfilling but it’s just hard for me to imagine how they’d do it without Carrie. It would just feel weird with trying to set it up without any shots of her face and no lines of dialogue/conversations with any of the characters.

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

If they’re gonna bring back a legacy character it should be an adult Cindel from Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor.

Connor, Zach and coleslawed like this.
  18. Bring back Nute Gunray.

Connor and Zach like this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Salacious B Crumb

Connor and Mrplum5089 like this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i havent seen anything in terms of an announcement officially so obviously its all speculative but, i'd like this, even if for a small scene to pay tribute to Leia/Han

22. Tim

I don't think it'd be weird if it happens in the first act. Show Poe taking on more of a leadership role, and have some small piece of dialogue showing that she's still involved in some capacity. Maybe something from Lando. The good thing is that TLJ already started that thread of her passing the torch and Poe learning what leadership really entails. The legwork has been done.

The actual passing of Leia just has to happen during the film's run time, even if it's early. Just not before the film starts.

23. Tim

Is the character Wedge still around? And the actor? What about the original Mon Mothma?

Ham-fisted references are dumb, but with where TLJ left off, it'd be cool to see characters like Lando, Wedge, and Mon Mothma inspired to come out of hiding and into the Resistance, along with a wave of younger recruits. Maybe even some more Troopers, as a way to dig deeper into the whole Finn premise.

coleslawed likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I’m down for Lando. Let’s do this JJ.

Dodger likes this.