Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 398

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

It was the script Trevorrow wrote.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  2. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yea it’s trevorrows draft from December 2016 right before Carrie passed away.

3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I think Kelly got more screen time during the oscars than she did in this movie

Pseudo! likes this.
  4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Just finished reading it and I felt mostly the same. It's like the opposite of TLJ where the Kylo/Rey stuff was the most interesting, but it needs some work here. The Mortis stuff sounded interesting in the outlined version, but it just feels like a cool setting rather than something meaningful. I'm not opposed to the grey jedi concept, but the execution feels rough. Of course, this was a first draft and probably would have been improved on.

The Knights of Ren have a little more to do, but they feel wasted. I don't hate the Rey/Poe romance. I can't tell if her using a kiss to jedi mind trick him into leaving is heartbreaking or problematic (probably problematic). And also, there's a fucking planet destruction in this one too! I kind of laughed when I read that. Of course that was in either version.

Finn & Rose's storyline is fucking awesome though. Could use some fine tuning, but it's mostly great. Rose has some of my favorite lines of dialogue in the whole thing and it just makes me more upset about her snubbing in TROS. Finn actually has an arc. A really good arc. I also love all the droid moments, including the R2 saga perspective at the end. I also love how Lando is used. The opening sequence is just a whole lot of fun as well.

Obviously, there needed to be changes after Carrie's passing and Trevorrow still could have made it worse with his direction. It still feels like the weakest of the trilogy, possibly the weakest of all the Disney movies, but it's a better script. Fascinating to read. I did question its authenticity for a moment at the end when it references broom boy though. I always thought that was just a fan name and that Rian gave him a real name in the script. Everything I've seen points to this being confirmed real though.

5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

agreed on Finn/Rose being the highlight by far - it's insane how Trevorrow followed up on Finn's arc from TFA better than Abrams himself did? even their dialogue was better by far than the rest of the script, like Finn telling the stormtrooper "get a name, that's the first step" is great

the Knights of Ren sound a little goofy to me in this version. having said that a fight with them before she fights Kylo just makes a lot of sense, and force-lightning killing a Knight is a good way to have that dark moment from TRoS without the immediate "hey wait Chewie's actually fine" backtrack. the Grey Jedi thing has always seemed like the logical way to end this saga to me - I mean both the Sith and the Jedi have been shown in pretty unflattering lights in both trilogies, so where else do you go? - but yeah it's not the best execution in that draft

Rey mind tricking Poe and then kissing him is super yikes, though. if you have to do a romance between those two it could really do without those gross implications. my least favourite thing in the script by far. I love R2's perspective on the whole saga at the end, that would've been so good

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

as everyone knows, dude is nothing but class

7. aoftbsten Feb 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2020)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The romance was fine until that point. I think you could achieve the same thing they’re going for with her force pushing him or something. Poe in general seems to regress back to his reckless ways in this. I don’t think Trevorrow could figure out how to balance the hot head with the lessons learned in TLJ (though, neither did J.J.).

You’re right killing a KoR with force lightning is a good way to demonstrate her inability to control her anger if they didn’t want to commit to the stakes of her killing Chewie (or another main character).

Hux’s role could also use a little more purpose, the rivalry between him and Kylo is still there, but it could use more tension. Though I have to say the gag of him trying to use the force and then getting walked in on by Kylo is great. I don’t think it needs to be a recurring bit, but the first time it was great. No way would him killing himself ever made it to the big screen though. I also love Rose’s quip of “I have one of these at home” back at him when she’s captured. Again, Rose is great in this.

8. Rowan5215

I like the idea of going to Mortis, but it's so inaccessible to most of the moviegoing public, and then they don't really do anything with it in the script lol. may as well just have the fight on Mustafar, or somewhere people will get hype about (again, nu-Coruscant is dope)

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

https://www.ign.com/articles/harris...ghost-is-star-wars-han-solo-rise-of-skywalker

lol

awakeohsleeper, Ken, dadbolt and 8 others like this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lmao i love harrison

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

pretty much the only possible reply, it's not like this movie knew or gave a shit if he was a Force ghost or not

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

14. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

SteveLikesMusic and dlemert like this.
  16. dlemert

Trusted

It's down to only 1 showing per day at my local AMC. Knives Out is still going strong at 3 showings a day.

17. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The Star Wars brand has fallen

18. Given a little bit of time to digest the Sequel Trilogy really made me realize how unnecessary it was. (Granted, no movie is “necessary”)

The OT and even the Prequels did a decent job of giving us an overarching story that provided a beginning and resolution. They aren’t perfect by any means but still they tell a good story that works whether you just watch the OT or Prequels + OT.

These movies don’t do all that much, in my opinion, to deepen the story that started in ANH. Do they add to the lore? Absolutely and because of that I truly wish that Disney had the guts to have given us a new trilogy more distanced from the OT because much of what we ended up with could’ve hit a lot better.

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'm still happy we got the ST because TFA is great and I love TLJ. But I do agree, this movie makes the trilogy as a whole feel a little pointless. There was a narrative on how the past repeats and why evil returns. Turns out it's because when you kill space Hitler, you gotta make sure you see the body explode.

20. Unrelated, but it seems like a lot of Disney characters are headcanoned to be LGBTQ by fans. Finn/Poe, Carol/Valkyrie, Voyd from Incredible 2 being trans. Unconfirmed by Disney, of course.

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still can't fucking believe they brought the Emperor back and didn't even bother trying to explain how lol

23. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

They quoted episode 3. That’s all they needed to do.

coleslawed likes this.
  24. NitrateDawn

Regular

I love how they just directly lifted that line from RotS, like it’s his own personal Sith Lord mantra he’s been repeating for years lol

25. NitrateDawn

Regular

Alright I’m no longer convinced that Trevorrow’s script is better than what we ended up getting. Granted, this isn’t a final draft. Seems like there’s at least more new ideas in this one which is nice, but just as many WTF elements (Rey and Poe’s romance, anything having to do with Hux).

Really makes me wonder if the only reason they signed off on the Abrams/Terrio script is because they had to start shooting to hit the release date, because if they weren’t down for Trevorrow’s script I can’t see why they’d love the Abrams/Terrio one. They’re equally baffling

Your Milkshake likes this.