Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 397

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

He wanted to tell her that he is Force sensitive, in so many words

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yo really think so?

3. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

coleslawed and The Lucky Moose like this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

I don’t understand why he wouldn’t just say it then

5. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

because his arc is garbage

6. The Lucky Moose

No really I don’t understand why it’s a whole thing and why they don’t resolve it

Furry Werthers and Greg like this.
  7. JJ's career in a nutshell

8. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

The answer really is just that his arc is garbage and JJ doesn’t like to resolve things

9. Half expected this to get some razzie noms but it did not

Kuri44 likes this.
  10. Dodge725

Trusted

I think Finn feels unsure of his connection to the force and wants to have a conversation with Rey about it to confirm it. It’s something that he feels is very personal and doesn’t want to have it in front of Poe partially because he doesn’t want Poe to feel left out. I think the movie does say he’s force sensitive, although more subtle than most things, for instance on Exegol where he knows which ones the command ship and that he needs to stay and destroy it, when he senses Kylo is coming on Pasanna before the ship appears, and when he feels Rey’s death just as Leia felt Luke on Cloud City. I will agree he doesn’t have an arc in TROS but that’s on purpose. He goes from a character who’s very conflicted/scared to fight in the first 2 films and is now one of the steadfast believers who’s there to help the Resistance and be supportive of his friends, the two major things he learned in TFA and TLJ. His limited arc here helps solidify is overall arc in the sequel trilogy.

bodkins likes this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

He should have resolved it because I would have never guessed that was it lol

Leftandleaving likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Duel of the Fates full script is floating around out there now, to whom that may concern

Brother Beck likes this.
  13. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Jenny Nicholson read it and sounds like there will be a video. I think I’m good on never reading it haha

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

I read a bit of it, I'll have to finish the rest tomorrow. what I read was mixed as I expected, but there's more good than bad, which is more than I can say for TRoS

on the downside, Rey and Poe sexual tension is definitely a thing and it's hugely clunky. Dialogue from everyone is stilted and awkward (to be fair: it's a first draft). Kylo getting a mask like Vader's is kind of unnecessarily belabouring the point (the script explicitly calls him a monster).

On the other hand: Rose has actual lines of dialogue and is being awesome! The First Order building their art deco empire on top of ruined Coruscant sounds sick! Luke's ghost haunting Kylo is sick! It doesn't begin with the words "the dead speak!"

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Belabor is a great word

Rowan5215, aoftbsten and DrAlanGrant like this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

There’s definitely going to fan film interpretations of it popping up on YouTube at some point.

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Finn was not going to tell Rey that he's force sensitive no matter what JJ Abrams or Chris Terrio say now after the fact.

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

dont worry there will be a comic or a book to fill that gap

19. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Can’t wait to read the full DOTF script. Gonna print and bind it for funsies

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. Rowan5215

So the Rey and Kylo stuff in that script isn't great. I like the idea of Tor Valum (and the script specifies he was Plagueis' Master, not Palpatine's, so he doesn't break the dumbass rule people care about for some reason) but his appearance is pretty anticlimactic. Kylo having a hint of redemption just before he dies is a lot better than his extreme heel turn in TRoS, but it's still pretty abrupt in this script, and Rey basically becomes a Grey Jedi which probably wouldn't fly too well with the movie crowd

On the other hand... the rest is kind of great? Finn and Rose especially so fucking great. Finn gets through to the other stormtroopers who were captured like him, liberates them and becomes a Resistance leader. It's such a good arc I feel secondhand embarrassment at how completely they bungled his arc in the actual trilogy.

And I know this got a mixed reception but reliving key moments from R2D2's perspective at the end gave me chills. It's not ostentatious and there's plenty of justification for looking back over the whole saga in that way. Honestly just redo the dialogue and some of the romantic bullshit and this would be a very good script to work from

21. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Thank you

22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

He was trying to tell her he left his wallet at her house

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

He just had to tell her that him and Chewy fucked

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

“Rey...... I just saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico.”

25. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

So wait, what is this Duel Of Fates thing that's going round? Just a script of the fight or a whole new movie? Was this Rian Johnson's take?