Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 396

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have to give it to Trevorrow here with this tweet. Well done.

At the end of the day, I do not think his story ideas are anything incredible or amazing, or even anywhere near approaching what TLJ was doing, but at least his script attempted to continue the story told by the first two films in this trilogy and finish things in a logical way.

I do agree that the revised, post-Carrie Fisher passing away version people are referencing now does sound a lot less good, but he / they were most likely forced into those revisions by studio notes and unfortunate and tragic circumstances, and it still sounds infinitely better than the absurd mess of a story JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio cobbled together.

I have to believe that someone as talented as Kathleen Kennedy knew their script was a fucking shitshow but just thought it was the least bad out of the options and trusted JJ Abrams could work his magic kinda like what he did with TFA, only the mystery box technique of just throwing ideas and questions out there and not answering or doing anything satisfying with any of them works a lot less well in concluding a trilogy than it does in starting one.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

3. The Lucky Moose Jan 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I finally saw it. I enjoyed it a lot. I do wish it had one serious ass lightsaber fight. I was waiting for it throughout the whole trilogy.

I also enjoyed this trilogy a lot, but I can’t really shake the feeling that they have been scrambling throughout. A lot of things don’t seem complete or thought through to me. I say this as someone who has not all engaged with the stuff you all seem to be talking about in this thread.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

Also who the fuck were all those people in that Sith arena? Does anyone know?

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I think I get what you're saying, but fwiw i really loved the (brief) battle between them at the old death star.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. The Lucky Moose Jan 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

Yeah I also really like the one in the woods visually. But I want episode 1 style choreographed lightsaber battles lol

David87 likes this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

Furry Werthers likes this.
  8. Furry Werthers

Trusted

"These cultists are called the Sith Eternal. According to The Rise of Skywalker — The Visual Dictionary, the Sith Eternal is a group of cultists who long for Sith rule in the galaxy, and venerate the legacy of Darth Sidious (aka Palpatine). It’s unclear if these cultists had already gathered in the Unknown Regions during the days of the Galactic Empire, or if they were only brought together to help the Emperor rise again. The Sith Eternal built shipyards on Exegol where, in the years since the fall of the Empire, they’ve been constructing a fleet for the still-living Emperor’s Final Order with the help of slave labor. The cultists have apparently also been assisting Palpatine in creating Snoke and several clones."

this is so bad lol

9. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

More Duel of the Fates art surfaced.

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that art is pretty dazzling

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The Razor Sail art looks very similar to the ship Rey takes to the Death Star ruins.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

They were gonna use an Eclipse Star Destroyer? That would have been neat.

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This movie would have been good.

14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

dang some of that art is awesome

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

16. LightWithoutHeat

“Rey lays on the stone slab still injured. “Light fills up the space around her. Particles of energy floating up. She rises with the energy. The light engulfs the frame until we reach a place beyond what we know. The Astral Plane. Yoda, Luke, and Obi Wan appear before her. Rey: “Is this death?” Obi-Wan: “In this place, there is no such thing as death.” Yoda reveals Rey succeeded were they failed. Luke: “You choose to embrace the dark side and the light. To find the balance within.” They offer Rey a choice to stay in the comfort of the Astral Plane or to return to the living where she will experience both love/loss. The spirits fade. Obi-Wan: “You are a Jedi, Rey Solana, but you will not be the last.”

This is why the RJ take on the force bugs me, specifically in the context of the ST. You have a buttoned up story in the first 6 movies, with no hint at the supposed true nature of the Force and the Jedi relationship to it throughout, not even in the seventh film. Not from any force ghosts, not from Jedi Masters who inherited thousands of years of study. So the whole thing just sort of feels shoehorned in TLJ for the sake of doing something different. If this were really the case you'd have every force ghost return and say "YOU GUYS WE FUCKED UP. THE FORCE DON'T WORK LIKE THAT."

RJ really should have had his own trilogy to develop this theme. It's super interesting, it just doesn't work for me in the middle of the last third of a nine movie story.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

wherever that excerpt came from I cringe

18. LightWithoutHeat

The link above. I guess that's what Trevorrow had in mind.

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

its really really bad

20. LightWithoutHeat

21. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

It's Harry Potter

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The Phantom Menace is on at the bar I’m at. There’s something about his movie that hits my nostalgia bone. It’s a fun watch.

Ferrari333SP and The Lucky Moose like this.
  24. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

good movie honestly, there's a lot of stuff I like in there, and Ewan is just magnetic every time he's onscreen

25. The Lucky Moose

Can someone tell me what Finn wanted to tell Rey (I don’t know how to spell their names)? I must be missing something obvious.