Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 393

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

There’s a lot I like about that script, but I think it’s worth keeping in mind that it was from December 2016, so it would have gone through some rewrites after that and let’s also not forget that he could have still directed it into the ground.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it's a shame that, even if his script is decent, it wouldn't have mattered since trevorrow is one of the least capable directors i've ever seen lol

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Finally saw this, I enjoyed it

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Dodger and Brother Beck like this.
  5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Trevorrow's movie sounds like a bunch of pretty good ideas (probably) done badly

Abrams' movie was a bunch of bad ideas done borderline incompetently

I know what I'd take, but it's a lesser of two evils choice no matter what

6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I definitely would have preferred a poorly-directed movie from a decent and satisfying story / script, but it all comes down to story for me.

What kills me is how the filmmakers have emphasized how pressed for time they were and how easy it would have been for JJ Abrams to step in and just focus everything on directing this story, even with the tweaks and changes that usually come along with actually filming the script, as opposed to starting from scratch story wise. Especially when what they came up with was so awful.

Plus, having this third film be the least well-directed but ultimately telling a good and satisfying story would mirror the original trilogy perfectly.

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  7. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

8. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Remove Poe from that scene and boom: instant Rey/Finn love story that plays into the other two movies

10. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Like, I didn’t hate that scene by any means. But, it definitely didn’t have the effect that they wanted it to have on me either.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

12. Anthony_

It’s weird and creative and different, whether you like it or not, which is more than what we got

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

“Trevorrow’s script has Kylo Ren find a holocron from Emperor Palpatine left for Darth Vader (presumably made before Vader betrayed and killed him). In it, Palpatine says that Vader needs to finish his training and should do so under Sith master Tor Valum, who trained Palpatine.”

reading this and then seeing the picture - just sounds really dumb to me personally. gives me retcon type vibes a la the prequels.

14. Anthony_

It’s not really a retcon, it’s more just adding a detail that wasn’t contemplated in the original movies. It doesn’t retroactively contradict anything that happened in them.

15. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

How doesn’t it contradict the rule of two?

16. Greg

Huge shocker that the Sith disregard their own “policies” when convenient.

Member in clone wars when Sheev, Dooku, Ventress, Savage, and Maul were all active at the same time?

coleslawed, Anthony_ and Rowan5215 like this.
  17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

palpy did already tell us who trained him

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah but we do know that Sheev’s master was Plagues, and his master before him was not this thing, right?

19. Greg

If only you could have more than one master.

shucks. Star Wars is hard.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

it reminds me of some of the implausible decisions made with the prequels

21. Greg

We don’t know anything other plagues was his master, probably. I don’t even know if that is officially confirmed or merely strongly implied.

22. MidDave

None of that actually contradicts the rule of two to me though.

1 Sheev
    2 Dooku
    2a Ventress to be apprentice after sheev is dead

Maul was presumed dead and savage was never a sith.

23. MidDave

It just strikes me as odd for there to be a sith out there older and wiser than palatine when palpy is like the most powerful we’ve ever seen.

24. Greg

Savage was Maul’s apprentice. Plus Sheev was grooming Anakin to take Dooku’s place which isn’t really the norm.

I wouldn’t take the bad guys’ rules so seriously.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. Greg

There’s always a bigger fish.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.