Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 37

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the sloggggging pace of RO’s first act is the only thing keeping it from being maybe my #2 SW movie. It’s so good once like, forest whitacker is gone.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Dodger like this.
  2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I dont find it to be a slog at all

but weve already said these things we say 1000 times now

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

it's the cycle of a very active thread about a movie we have no information on yet lol

the same conversations keep happening over and over

we're only like a week away from ranking the movies again

Alba and aoftbsten like this.
  4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

ANH has some stretches of slow pacing too

I personally feel TFAs is generally too fast

5. Sean Murphy Dec 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2018)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i'd definitely agree with that

EDIT: not about TFA haha

6. ship90

Trusted

The removing of the equal parts light and dark in Kylo would bother me. That’s the appeal of his character and I have a hard time seeing that go away. So agree to disagree ha.
    Also, the idea of Rey’s and Kylo’s choices having been made and set in stone is silly to me too. We still have an over 2 hour movie to go ha. I’m most excited for their inevitable rematch, they’re complicated enemies now.
    Also, if you live in LA, you can read the TLJ script at the Oscars museum. Apparently it has a ton of swearing and that may be why it has not been release yet. Like when Luke throws the saber over his shoulder, Rey basically thinks WTF and it’s printed in the script as such

David Parke, aoftbsten and Dodger like this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that seems odd

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i can't even picture an F-bomb ever getting dropped in a SW movie lol

9. ship90

Trusted

I know it’s not the TLJ thread but oh well ha. Here’s some quick highlights I picked up from reddit:

Scriptnote after Hux says "excellent, I'll take it in my chamber" when Snoke appears in front of him:

Oh shit

Scriptnote when Luke throws the saber over his shoulder:

Rey is dumbstruck. What the fuck

aoftbsten likes this.
  10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lol i love it when Snoke appears and he's like "ah....good."

aoftbsten, Dodger and ship90 like this.
  11. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Also Hux getting slammed to the ground and dragged around like a mop was so good. Rian said in the commentary the stunt double broke his nose doing that lol

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I still haven't watched either of the new trilogy movies with commentary. I need to do that.

ship90 likes this.
  13. Dodger

definitely a must for those who love the movies. also the Director and the Jedi commentary on TLJ features if you havent seen that

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

RO's first act felt so all over the place and way to fast the first time I watched it, I've never understood why people say it's a slog. We jump to three different planets in about 5 minutes when that entire part should have just taken place on Jeddha.

ANH starts out so damn slow. We spend like 20 minutes just hanging out with R2 and C3P-O and then later Luke in the desert before anything really happens. It works well there though because it leaves us itching for action and adventure like Luke (plus the great world building).

I gotta watch that TLJ commentary now. I loved Rian's commentary for Looper plus the TJL behind the scenes documentary is awesome.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that sounds stupid

edit: ohh thats not the novelization

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I was very surprised people think of the first act of RO as a slog. To me it feels choppy and rushed. I wish it took its time a little more in that part of the movie.

aoftbsten likes this.
  17. Pseudo!

Regular

I think when people call it a slog they just mean that's it's boring

18. Dodger

any pace feels like a slog if you dont care about whats going on

19. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I tried watching RO again recently, and I just don't like it at all. It's the only new SW film I don't enjoy

20. Dodger

no appreciation/enjoyment from the third act?

21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

”sloggggging pace”

^actual quote fwiw

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

See I enjoy the hell out of RO and feel like Edwards' shooting style lends itself well to a slower pace. I love his style with shots like the one in the preview from way above the small ship flying over the ancient collapsed Jedi statues in the deserts of Jedda. I could watch shots like that one for hours. The beginning of RO feels rushed to me, as does a lot of Godzilla '14. The one time I watched TFA it felt like that movie was SPRINTING the entire time.

23. Dodger

Idk TFA flows so well for me. skimming through now they took a good 6 minutes straight (which is a lot of time) of Reys lifestyle and meeting BB 8. Finn waking up on Jakku and wandering in the desert until he meets Rey is 3 minutes. they couldve sped that up if they wanted to. 8 minutes from when Rey and Finn escape where they fix the ship/BB 8thumbs up/ meet Han again to the next big action piece with the Guavian Death Gang/Wrathtars. You get time to breath at Maz' castle and when they get to D'Qar.

It is a quick pace but I dont think it moves too fast and I think they did a great job with giving us brief moments enough to take in a deep breath in between all the chaos

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I like the time to look around and experience the world building rather than following a breakneck pace for an entire 2 hours. Especially with Star Wars.

25. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I can’t imagine this saga ending with Kylo not being redeemed, but I don’t know how you convincingly go about it at this point. Then again, Anakin murdered an entire preschool so there’s a chance.