Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You’re comparing two different things though. Boba in the movie is fine. Looks cool and is barely a character in the movies. Fans are what made him “annoying” outside the movie or whatever.

Jar Jar actively makes the prequels worse in every scene he’s in.

coleslawed, aoftbsten and Dodger like this.
  2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Meees’a??

David Parke likes this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

What have I done

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yousa bombad

5. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Jar Jar is honestly so fun to joke about and imitate so he’s kind of a great addition to Star Wars...from a certain point of view.

David Parke and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

truth be told, i definitely dislike jarjar as a character and think the gungans are silly, but jarjar/gungans are so far down on my list of why i dislike the prequels lol, it's almost a non-factor. you can eliminate jarjar and all gungans and i probably still feel the exact same way about the films.

7. I feel bad for Ahmed Best. The hate for JarJar really messed with his mental health.

8. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Nice guy, pays his bills on time.

David Parke likes this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Has loud Labor Day parties though, no regard for his neighbors.

BackyardHero11 and David Parke like this.
  10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I laugh thinking about someone sitting in a meeting at Lucasfilm raising their hand at the conference table and being like "This Jar Jar binks thing is a terrible idea. The voice is actively annoying as all hell. Every single thing about this is just dumb and should be changed immediately," and then looking around the table while everybody is silent, staring at the floor or playing with their pen while George Lucas sits at the head of the table glowering.

[Silence]

"Really guys?!? Nobody else is going to say anything here??? Rick? Ben? Come on! Nobody???"

[Crickets]

"I guess I'll clean out my desk."

Dodger likes this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The most implausible thing about your story is Lucas seeking or allowing input from others.

12. flask

Trusted Supporter

I'm fired aren't I?

13. Lol this is the first thing I thought of.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I feel like Jar Jar Binks can single-handedly be pointed to as a refutation of the auteur theory. Like my man George was involved in - and often times the driving creative force behind - so many amazing works of cinema over the years... ...buuuuuuuut he's also the guy that put the character Jar Jar Binks into a movie and then said "Yup. That's awesome. That's exactly what I wanted. That right there is an amazing character and a good thing to be on a movie screen that a lot of people are going to look at."

15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty sure he’s also responsible for the monkeys in Crystal Skull.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

He’s still an auteur. That word doesn’t mean it’s all positive. Michael Bay is an auteur.

Tim likes this.
  17. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Jar jar is the key to all of this.

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I like to think that Lucas had Jar Jar in mind since 76 but knew audiences weren’t ready for him until 94

19. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Jar Jar has a better story arc in The Clone Wars cartoon. That's the only thing that made me okay with him.

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I actually think his story in the prequels is kind of interesting by the time he's getting played in the Senate - it's the execution of the character that is absolutely awful.

Like C-3PO is a little bit annoying but also kind of endearing and can be funny. For me he's like 90% endearing and 10% annoying. Jar Jar Binks is 100% straight annoying as f-ck. Like nails on a chalkboard, the noise Jim Carrey makes in Dumb and Dumber, THAT level of annoying every single second that he opens his mouth and says anything at all ever.

My father was a huge fan of the original trilogy, got me into Star Wars in the first place, would always watch the non-special-editon but digitally cleaned up picture & sound VHS copies with me whenever I put them on. Even took me to see the Special Editions in the theater a few times each . I can remember telling him that Phantom Menace was a little rough but also kind of cool and he made it until Jar Jar Binks started talking before he was shifting around in his seat getting fidgety. Pretty soon when Jar Jar didn't go away, my dad turned to me and asked "Is he in this movie a lot?" and I despairingly answered that 'yeah, he's kind of a main character.' I think he made it a little while longer but ended up just standing up mid-scene where Jar Jar was talking and said "Eric, I'm not watching that" and noped out HARD and as far as I know he never went back and watched it.

21. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I like that Jar Jar ends up as a lonely street clown that the general public views with disdain.

22. ship90

Trusted

JJ where are you, we are starved

But this is a good thread

Also it’s been almost 4 years since that first TFA teaser :falcon:

23. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Would’ve loved that hair

ship90 and David Parke like this.
  24. ship90

Trusted

Force Friday 2019 :praise:

“While the final cinematic chapter in the Skywalker story draws to a close in December 2019, there will (once again) be a huge marketing push and global launch for products for Episode IX. Rumor has it that this date is set a bit closer to the film launch than the previous installments — October 4, 2019.Barring leaks and official early first looks and preorders, this will be the hard street date for the copious amount of licensed products: toys, books, clothing, etc.”

Closer to when tickets will probably be on sale as well or the main theatrical trailer, build that hype! September seemed a little too early in years past.

25. dlemert

Trusted

I have a feeling they will release any trailers much later in the cycle for IX, maybe not until summer next year. Seems to be Disney's marketing scheme lately for their high-profile franchises (looking at you, Solo and Infinity War part 2).