Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 31

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. flask

Trusted Supporter

If Luke vs Vader in Empire isn't number one your list is invalid. Arguably the most pivotal moment of the trilogy and its filmed so beautifully.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That's the best one as far as context in the story and how amazing it was shot, BUT the actual fighting itself is slow and awkward. It looks like they're fighting underwater.

coleslawed and Zach like this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

I'd say that about the fight in New Hope but not this one.

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

To be honest, I think all the fights in the original trilogy have awkward and clunky choreography.

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

1) ROTJ - Luke vs. Vader
    2) TESB - Luke vs. Vader
    3) TLJ - Kylo & Rey vs. guards
    4) TFA - Kylo vs. Rey
    5) TPM - Obi & Qui-gon vs. Maul
    6) ANH - Obi vs. Vader
    --
    7) ROTS - Obi vs. Anakin
    8) AOTC - Obi & Anakin vs. Dooku

I think we did these rankings in TLJ thread and mine have probably changed a bit since then. The ROTJ fight just has so much emotional weight behind it that I can't see any other being number one. Kylo & Rey vs the guards probably has my favorite choreography of them all though. You could also throw Yoda vs Sidious in this list, but I'm not sure it's worth it to bother.

6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Agree 100%

aoftbsten likes this.
  7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Is TLJ throne room battle considered a lightsaber duel, though?

8. dlemert

Trusted

I called it a lightsaber "fight" in my ranked list which simply implies a fight with lightsabers involved. I wouldn't call the TLJ fight a duel though.

9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

If you use that criteria, your list is missing a lot of fights.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Dodger Nov 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2018)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Basing this not jsut on choreography but also emotional weight, the drama, story around it, the build up, the dialogue, the set design, and score:

1a. Rey and Kylo vs the Guards (Its a fight with lightsabers dont overthink it)
    1b. Luke Vs Vader in Empire (

3. Luke Vs. Vader in ROTJ
    4. Maul vs Qui-Gon and Obi
    5. Force Awakens
    6. Obi vs Anakin / Yoda vs. Palpatine
    7. A New Hope
    8. Qui-Gon vs Maul (short but powerful and effective)
    9. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous
    10. Yoda/Obi/Anakin vs Dooku
    11. Sidious vs. Jedi and Mace Windu (this is the only one that I really dislike and its painful for me to watch)

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Duel of the Fates Duel is the best Duel.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

The Throneroom scene, while a great battle and maybe the most stunningly shot sequence in the saga, is not a lightsaber duel or fight, it’s just a battle. If that is on your list, then by all means the Geonisis arena fight with all the jedi should be on the list too as a lightsaber fight/battle/duel.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

also yes this 100%

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i can't wait for more to get released on this so we have more to talk about than circling back to old rankings lol

ship90 and Dodger like this.
  15. Dodger

We still have 13 months until this movie comes out lol

coleslawed likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

alternatively, we only have 13 more months to go!!

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  17. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

How does JJ's track record for sequels look? Is 'into darkness' the only one he has released? Not that it should matter that much, just curious to see how he finishes/continues stories I guess.

18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

He did MI3 and has produced a lot of sequels.

Dodger likes this.
  19. flask

Trusted Supporter

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Jar Jar Binks?

Tim likes this.
  20. Didn’t hate him when I saw it but I was also like 14. The gungan ending is the best scene in the new Star Tours attraction at disneyland tho.

21. Dodger

The best Sith Lord in Star Wars

22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm not at the level of Star Wars fandom to have a ranking of lightsaber battles, but I'm pretty sure Luke vs Vader in Empire would be #1.

Even though I have mixed feelings on Return of the Jedi as a cohesive film (while not disliking any particular part of it), I think that Luke vs Vader bit might be up there, too.

And, potentially controversial opinion: If I count Kylo vs Luke's projection in TLJ, that's also towards the top. Definitely at least top 3. Super cool visually & thematically.

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t mind him as character but I mind him having a large role. His placements in episodes 2 and 3 were fine.

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Jar Jar Binks is as bad as all the shitty memes make him out to be. He’s probably worst character in any movie I’ve seen.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Jar Jar > Boba Fett

Not even trolling. Jar Jar is annoying but Boba is overrated to the extreme.

Dan Quinlan and St. Nate like this.