Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 231

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This would be my ranking as well

Ken and spiffa0 like this.
  2. dlemert

Trusted

This is very close to my own. Also, props for putting Solo ahead of RO. This is the correct opinion.

3. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

A few spots could move around... like 8 and 7 could flip and stuff like that.

but yea, Rogue One not being as good as people think it is, is kind of my drum I constantly beat. I’ll always say the third act was great, but people let that excuse the very rough first hour or so. For all the behind the scenes disaster Solo was, the fact that the movie is not a mess but an actual fun film throughout really helps me enjoy it way more than Rogue One.

Alba and dlemert like this.
  4. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

ESB
    ANH
    TFA
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TLJ
    Rogue One
    TPM
    Solo
    AOTC

5. Greg

I mean none of this matters... like your opinion doesn’t hurt anyone. You can enjoy these however you like.

but part of me is like, Revenge of the Sith over TLJ and ROTJ??? My only thought is a quote from that movie. “It’s treason then” haha

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  6. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

V
    VII
    IV
    III
    VI
    RO
    Solo
    VIII
    I
    II

7. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

My list is more “what would I rather watch” than “which movie is better than which”? ROTJ was always least favorite of the OT, despite it being an objectively better movie than ROTS. The humor in TLJ brings it down for me, I’m not a fan of like the Poe prank call to Hux and stuff like that. ROTS itself has basically had every single piece of dialogue turned into a meme and very much enjoy watching it.

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    The Last Jedi
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Willow
    Labyrinth
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Land Before Time
    Red Tails
    Howard the Duck

10. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

My top three are

TLJ - it's the first star wars movie since the original trilogy that feels like a new star wars movie. It never feels like it's trying too hard to replicate what made those great, while also giving me the same feelings I had watching the OT as a kid. Idk if this makes sense lol

2. Empire - Obviously

3. Rogue one - wasn't big on it at first, but I find myself watching it more than anything other than TLJ. Also this movie is beautiful looking

11. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Empire has never hit for me.

TFA and ANH are my two favorites.

even though I was prime age for the prequel trilogy this current one has been my favorite/most invested.

12. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

ALSO Luke deciding to not fight at the end of TLJ is so good it hurts. Should have added how good that shit is

13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Ranking Revenge any higher than second from last blows my mind after revisiting it the other day. Like, dang, does vaguely "dark" children's entertainment really do it for y'all that much?

Her all is an overstatement, but dang, she did really go for it through the absolute garbage Lucas handed her. She's genuinely good in a couple senate scenes. She's got some Leia vibes when running around w/ a blaster. And, she really tried to act her way through that clunky "you're breaking my heart" bit that I'm not sure anyone could've made it through successfully; it's a miracle Ewan did as well w/ his garbage in the end of that film as he did.

FrenzalRob, coleslawed, Ken and 3 others like this.
  14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

While easily my least favorite now, being a kid when AOTC released was lit. I remember the arena scene coming on and thinking ONG THERES THAT MANY JEDI?!?!

15. Greg

Wait, I found the real treason haha

bobby_runs and aoftbsten like this.
  16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Why am I so invested in this ranking. It’s beautiful.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

two weeks from tonight :folded::folded:

19. bodkins

Trusted

The Empire Strikes Back
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Solo
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

Dodger likes this.
  20. tvck

Trusted

not even going to attempt to rate them as I haven't rewatched most in years. But I'm definitely in the camp of TLJ being top 2/3 SW movie. Throne Room fight is one of the most hype moments I've ever seen in a movie.

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the sequence of snoke dying - rey grabbing the saber - her and kylo going back to back to get ready to fight is maybe my favorite scene/sequence of scenes in the franchise.

22. tvck

Trusted

I just love that they went all out and let them chop limbs off other than hands/arms. Truly showed how lethal Lightsabers are.

aoftbsten likes this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

TLJ
    TFA
    TESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    RO
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

Watching The Force Awakens tonight!

24. Throne room scene is cool but I don't think it would crack my top 10 if I sat and made a list. Most of my favorites are from the OT.

Ken likes this.
  25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Maybe I'll do a ranking after my rewatch is complete.

Got to Empire last night, still my favorite (and favorite movie ever). The whole movie is just so tight and perfectly paced, there's basically nothing that feels unnecessary. All the character arcs are well defined and executed. Vader v Luke is probably the best lightsaber fight in the series (though maybe I'll change my mind after rewatching ROTJ) and the expansion of the mythology with Yoda never ceases to leave me in awe. It's one of those movies that just gets my imagination turning every time I watch it. Lando adds a nice shade of grey to our heroes. Our main villain gets quite a bit more nuance through his impatience with all the naval officers, his submission to the Emperor, and then the big twist at the end. Also, shoutout to Admiral Piett and General Veers for being the only two competent Imperial officers. Piett climbing the ranks over the course of the film is such a fun little sub-plot.

If there's a flaw in the movie, it's that as the years go on, I do find parts of Leia's role in the film a bit disappointing. The script gives her a little less agency compared to ANH, but Carrie's excellent performance masks some of that. Also, some elements of the Han/Leia dynamic are a little problematic (though the incredible chemistry between Carrie and Ford alleviates most of those concerns). Their romance can feel a bit like a product of the time for some of the film and I can't help but think it would be handled a little differently if it was made today.

A droid note: these droids are all little dicks sometimes. Surely R2 must know who Yoda is and what he looks like. He couldn't give Luke a little heads up, like "Oh hey that's Yoda!"

And speaking of Yoda, love his description of using the light, "calm, passive, at peace". Luke definitely channels that for the end of TLJ.

Anyway, onto TPM next.