Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 148

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

246 days, ugh

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Lucas can be underrated by some fans for his responsibility for Star Wars, A New Hope is a truly astounding accomplishment for a director, but the team around him and especially the additional input for the following two films was incredibly necessary

3. And thank god for ANH’s editor. Those original cuts were rough.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

George Lucas is truly amazing, there's no question. Anything and everything to do with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, LucasFilm, ILM, THX - I mean the list goes on and on. That being said, the prequels are definitively terrible, terrible movies. All of the struggle and push and pull that he went through in the late seventies and early eighties getting the original trilogy made was gone for the prequels. He could literally do everything and anything he wanted and not a single person questioned him. I do not think that is a positive environment for making quality films. The list of filmmakers who could be trusted in that scenario can be counted on one finger. Filmmaking is and should be collaborative. One person having that much say more often than not leads to movies like the prequels, or the Hobbit trilogy.

Also, filmmaking and directing is grueling. It is stressful. It takes a toll on you. I think it is simply too demanding of a job to be done by someone who didn't really want to do it in the first place, like Lucas with the prequels or Jackson with the Hobbit. You need that drive and passion because what you're actually trying to do is kind of nuts.

Isn't it universally accepted knowledge that George Lucas' first wife was an incredible editor and she, along with the other two, really saved the movie...???

teebs41 likes this.

5. Star Wars was a mess before it was saved by the editor Paul Hirsch

kyle, scottlechowicz and Brother Beck like this.
  6. Nathan

Yes, filmmaking is and should be collaborative, but there’s more than one director in the world who can be trusted with final cut.

Brother Beck likes this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I would agree with the final cut thing - I am talking about not just final cut though but the type of power George Lucas had on the prequels. It goes well beyond just final cut I would say.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Mrk_Brdshw and coleslawed like this.
  9. Dunno. Been years since I watched that and don’t remember all they say. All the editors have been forgotten over the years it seems. There’s a whole lot more about it in the Rinzler books as well, which I recommend to any fan:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345494768/?tag=absolutepunk-20

I am pretty sure Marcia was the one with the idea to kill off Obi Wan though.

Brother Beck likes this.
  10. Nathan

Sure but there’s still more than one director who I’d let do whatever the hell they want

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

As presented in the video, Marcia was responsible for restructuring the final act and adding in the fact that the Death Star was about to destroy the rebel base.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Thanks! I have a weird thing with memory where I remember like 80% of something and where I saw it but never all of it. Hah.

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I had never seen that video before. It was incredibly informative.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. ship90

Trusted

Maybe Rey intercepts Kylo to confront him and then they have a standoff in the desert? That’s another idea that's been floating around. Like you said, the pilot could just easily shoot Rey otherwise

Brother Beck likes this.
  15. Ed59_

Regular

I'd prefer Rey stays a nobody but if they were to go down the genetics route I like the 'she was a failed experiment of the emperor and deemed worthless' idea.

Buzzing for Palpatine returning but I really, really hope it has nothing to do with clones. I'd be into The Knights of Ren doing some really dark sith shit to bring him back.

I got a little burned out on Star Wars after TLJ's release but all the news and content from Celebration has me extremely excited again.

Side note does anyone have good podcast recommendations that are similar to ForceCenter? I love Ken, Jospeh & Jennifer's positivity & chemistry.

16. Nathan

Anything that gets too sci-fi-ish with Rey’s origin would be the wrong direction imo. If she were to be reunited with one or both parents in a scene built on her emotions, and they were just farmers or scavengers or something and they had either mixed or indifferent feelings toward seeing her again, that’s more in line with the type of scene that I think could work.

Dodger likes this.
  17. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Just let her be no one. I would like to see who her parents are though haha. Very rude to leave your baby in the desert.

Davjs likes this.
  18. ship90

Trusted

Daisy is hilarious, I’m really going to miss this cast

19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

20. Dinosaurs Dish Apr 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2019)
    Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

So immortality is a long-standing want of Palpatine, right?

What if Kylo is able to delve deeper into the dark side and is able to manipulate the force to achieve this for himself and/or resurrect Palpatine? And that's why they're at the destroyed Death Star II in the trailer?

I have no clue how canon any of that is, but it sounds interesting to me.

Ken and Ed59_ like this.
  21. Dodger Apr 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2019)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Basically that’s what Palpatine was after. Can’t say I know 100%.

Also we don’t know if Palpatine already HAS achieved that. According to episode 3 it sounds like he learned the secrets from Plaguies then killed him immediately after so by the time ROTJ rolled around I feel like he definitely would’ve mastered it by then. We just have no idea how that power is manifested. Is it reincarnation? is his soul taking over another vessel?

As far as Kylo I’d love if that’s Kylos mission. It further cements him as the bad guy. Not that JJ ever intended this but it would at least make sense with “finish what you started line” since his need to master that power WAS kind of the impetus for him turning.

Plus him being able to do that power leaves room for my incredibly insane and cheesy theory to bring Han back to life and being able to reunite the Big 3 as they look at a sunset at the end of the movie Lolololol

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  22. ship90

Trusted

23. ship90

Trusted

24. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

It's Princess Leia's theme. :) God I'm so stoked for the music on this one.

teebs41 likes this.
  25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yup and Rey connected to the skywalker theme and kylo the imperial March